Phantom of the Megaplex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phantom of the Megaplex Reviews

June 5, 2016
Amazing movie phantom causing problems during a big premiere!
October 11, 2015
Nowadays children's television--not the least of which, television movies--are targeted to kids in a very different way. We see kids having extraordinary abilities and powers that set them above normal kids, and much of what's available now creates unrealistic goals for the children watching it. Gone are the days where they can watch TV and see people just like them--people who dress like them, act like them, and have similar problems. Everyone's world on TV is perfect now, which heightens kid's expectations for their own worlds.

With that rant aside, Phantom of the Megaplex came out on the Disney Channel in 2000--still running off the fumes created by the '90s children's television boom. At that time, the Disney Channel was now a network available in non-premium cable packages and had been coming out with quite a lot of original programming to compete with Nickelodeon, Fox Kids, and the like. That year, they peaked their Disney Channel Original Movie--or DCOM--production at one movie per month--the only year to date with that frequency. The years before and after gave us 8 and 10, respectively, but compared to recent trends of releasing as little as 1 DCOM in a year, even 8 gave us plenty of options. We weren't seeing the same couple of films all year long, and we were appreciating the ones we saw when they were broadcasted.

Amidst the plethora of releases in 2000 was a Halloween-themed movie Phantom of the Megaplex, which follows a 17-year-old movie theater employee who is about to experience the craziest night of his life as the megaplex he works at is having their first red carpet premiere. Meanwhile, everything seems to be going wrong and he, along with his two younger siblings, must try to figure out who or what is causing the chaos in order to save the premiere.

Within the movie, there are several "movies" talked about and shown intermittently inside the theaters. It creates its own meta world of movies within the film universe, along with acknowledging a few masterpieces of old cinema.

This movie is far from being a technical masterpiece itself, but if you take it for what it is you will see a different experience altogether. It never tries to be perfect, which considering the alternative is fine by me. Once you get past the corny tendencies that were so common in low budget post-'90s TV movies for kids, you get a pretty entertaining film.

The pacing is a little slow in the beginning, but carries on just fine after about 20 minutes in. It provides us with a fun mystery to solve, along with the characters, and does a good job of masking who the actual phantom is.

The main issue this movie faces is that there's never really anything at stake other than the ruining of a film premiere and maybe the fate of the characters' jobs. Nobody's life is threatened, or even feels threatened. It's all just really mysterious more than anything else.

Also, the motives of the person responsible for all the mayhem don't make much sense and are brushed off once explained.

But this film is filled with some really good messages and pays great homage to the classics of the silver screen, as well as to cinema in general--a theme that is seldom, if ever, delivered to this demographic.

Phantom of the Megaplex sparked my own love and passion for movies when I first saw it in 2000 when I was 11. It inspired me to want to see all the classics and watching it again now helps to remind me of why I started loving movies to begin with. It's a movie I think of often whenever I may doubt my passion. Although I feel lately that film has undergone a lot of change and while I'm not a fan of modern trends in cinema, Phantom of the Megaplex rekindles the spirit of what movies should be--magic. It romanticizes cinema for me every time I watch it, and making it available to kids now will hopefully do the same for them and make them yearn for the days gone by.

"If you pay attention, movies can teach you about life." --An actual line from a made-for-TV movie for kids.

Twizard Rating: 79
½ August 15, 2014
(First viewing - 11/10/2000)
½ April 12, 2013
It was a slightly entertaining Disney original movie.
½ December 9, 2012
A very good old Disney flick. Definitely one of my favorite oldies.
December 7, 2012
horrible i hate it never want to see it again!!!!!! hate it hate it hate it not fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! poor job:(
June 14, 2012
I love this movie, one of my personal favorites from childhood i remember when this movie premiered on disney channel, it hasnt played on here forever, im hoping it does this halloween
January 14, 2012
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 2, 2012
Pretty boring, plot didn't really go anywhere. Cute, predictable ending. Younger kids [6-10] would probably like this movie more.
½ July 6, 2011
im obsessed...I loved this film so much even if it is just a dumb Disney Channel movie! B
½ July 2, 2011
Strawberry megaplex's for ever. I think thats how it goes.
March 21, 2011
hahaha i remember this from when i was a kid lol. one of my fave halloween movies lol
November 18, 2010
This movie was awesome. It is a great reimagining of the Phantom of the Opera. It may star mostly people we will never hear from again(besides the always great Mickey Rooney), but it is just a good movie and definitely worth a watch. It is my favorite Disney Channel movie of all time, and you should see it next time you find it while flipping through the channels.
October 23, 2010
i wanst a huge fan of this one in the day
November 1, 2009
Not horrible, but not a fan of seeing it again.
½ October 31, 2009
phantom of the megaplex
October 26, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
5:00 p.m.
Disney XD
October 4, 2009
Terrible and cringe worthy. However, amidst the muck are two suprisingly inspired scenes involving Mickey Rooney. One in which he sings "Hooray for Hollywood" and another where tenderly explains the magic of movies. Never have I heard it put into words as well as it was here. It's a shame the rest is so bad. Dumbed down afternoon family viewing.
August 28, 2009
By far one of my most favorite Disney Original Movies.
August 25, 2009
one of my fave disney movies, ive seen it 3 times.