Reviews

• Mar 16, 2015

The breadth of Malle's personal curiosity is as dense as the content he manages to capture and show us of India. By comparing this humanity we examine cultural relationships, as well as the West's influence on other societies.

• Jan 24, 2014

Exhaustive look at life in India, circa 1975, although director Malle's judgmental commentary occasionally gets in the way.

• Jan 24, 2014

the only reason this lacks a 5 star rating is the narration was a bit annoying. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film.

• Jan 24, 2014

documentary about India GOod one!if you don't like documentary just let it be!!

documentary about India GOod one!if you don't like documentary just let it be!!

• Jan 24, 2014

Malle's greatest work as a documentarian, the mammoth 363-minute Phantom India is beautifully narrated by Malle and gives a sense of atmosphere that feels authentically Indian. While at times Malle can rightly be accused of letting his western perspective color the proceedings, many viewers who have been to India have said it just like being there, except for the smell.

• Jan 24, 2014

What a journey! Do not miss it!

What a journey! Do not miss it!

• Jan 24, 2014

A documentary, between 6 and 7 hours of footage of India in the 1960s. Extremely well done, however some parts drag. Absolutely beautiful.

• Jan 24, 2014

An absolutely stunning look at India. Sure, it's got a just-under-six hour runtime, but every mintue is completely worth it. I never thought I would love this movie so much.

• Jan 24, 2014

Phantom India is Louis Malle's epic documentary. Broken up into a miniseries. With no agenda, Malle is here to show us life in India.

• Jan 24, 2014

this movie would have been exponentially better if it were not for the hasty, book-derived commentary by louis malle. what's more painful is malle is quite aware of western notions of India but still comments on the images through the same lenses. for the love of god, Indians are not fatalistic resigned to their lot because of Hindu theology/caste system or whatever. Moreover, some commentary is simply misinformed and incorrect (ex. the funeral scene). I admit, however, that the first two segments are quite powerful and the best of the lot.