The Phantom of the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

July 18, 2016
Featuring a musically inexperienced and somewhat unrecognizable cast; at first i assumed the worst for this version of The Phantom of the Opera though i was pleasantly surprised. The critic reviews have been overwhelmingly negative many noting how Butler has little experience singing and suggesting that his performance left a lot to be desired, i, in fact, would argue that a combination of the pitch correction and the raw emotion that Butler portrays while singing make for a thoroughly enjoyable experience which challenges many other incarnations of the Phantoms character.

whilst many Critics have suggested that the film is lackluster when compared to the on-stage musical performance, i believe that this comparison is inherently flawed as comparing two different mediums isn't necessarily fair as both will have certain advantages and disadvantages in the fields of portraying themes and utilization of dramatic techniques. From this point i would challenge you to find a superior film adaptation of Webbers' musical.

Notably well-choreographed scenes such as the masquerade scene create a genuine atmosphere as if the silver screen was a stage in front of you. Despite this, many scenes can come of over-done and somewhat comical, for example the Phantom descending the stairs in-step with the background music during the "Why so silent" sequence and even the grand face-reveal which is supposed to be one of the, if not THE key scene in the musical. This comical appearance really was the key theme which ruined the viewing for me which is a shame as i enjoyed much of the film which man other reviewers did not.

When i take all these factors into account i would give the movie an overall rating of 4/10, which would constitute a negative rating, though it is worth mentioning that overall i did enjoy the film and would recommend watching it and forming your own opinions based on the different features and drawbacks of the movie.
½ June 17, 2016
Beautiful performances by Emmy and Madam Giry, yet Butler did not reach the full Phantom potential
June 13, 2016
I just saw this movie, guess I'm a lot behind but I thought it was great! Can't believe it was made 11 years ago and I never heard of it Guess I should log on to Flixter more often. But I thought the music, sets, costumes, hair, make up and the voices were fantastic. Guess I'm one of the few, sorry to hear that.
June 13, 2016
I have to say this movie is a huge disappointment. I LOVE this musical. In my opinion, it's one of the best ones out there because of its captivating story, it's gothic themes and Andre Lloyd Webber at his absolute best. So I have to wonder, what went wrong? A lot of the actors cannot sing, especially Rossum and Butler who are probably the most miscast actors ever, and this ruins the fantastic music. My biggest problem is the visual style. There is so much dark and gothic imagery you can get from this musical and this movie just looks TERRIBLE! That's probably the biggest sin since musicals probably more than any other genre depend the most on good production values. My advice, look up the 25th anniversary live performance at the Royal Albert Hall instead. Much better than this.
May 2, 2016
Gothic, seductive & genuinely touching - it's one of the most famous romances ever told & proves yet again that the greatest love stories end in tragic sorrow. I will always regret not going to see this in the cinema. Has one of the most beautiful opening scenes in film history. Whether you're talking about the original stage show or this film - there is something deeply special about this music & frankly is unmatched by every other musical out there. In terms of this actual film, it's exceedingly visually lavish but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't slightly tacky & certainly not ominous enough. Also it suffers from the same issues as 'The Great Gatsby' film did, for the fact it's all too superficial & opulent which takes away the true soul of the story. The sets & costumes in the film are truly outstanding. But if you're a true fan like myself, you can see through all that glamour.
April 29, 2016
I liked this movie, personally, Although they could have made Gerard butler a liiittle more ugly. Other than that, great.
½ April 19, 2016
Wow, this movie is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. And all these girls sad that Christine didn't end up with the phantom need therapy. The man is sadistic and psycodic. I have no idea how anybody thinks this is a classic.
½ April 7, 2016
Critics are out of their mind - this is a solid adaptation and Emmy Rossum is fantastic in it.

Grade = 7/10
½ March 28, 2016
A stylish, emotionally rich and supremely satisfying adaptation of Webber's musical that successfully transitions it to film while also deepening its dramatic core.
March 26, 2016
BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!
March 25, 2016
The film is not quite sure how it wants to depict the story and never settles on a style and Gerard Butler was an awful choice. However it is still a must see for Phantom fans who want to see the music and characters on film.
½ March 25, 2016
Would have been better if they'd gone with actual singers rather than just actors. Would have been better if there was any effort put into scoring and performing the music. Then again, there are some good sets and costumes, and the film looks very nice.
½ March 22, 2016
While it has many flaws, I still end of enjoying this flick.
March 17, 2016
This is one of the most uneven movies I've ever seen.
February 19, 2016
A disappointing adaptation of what is known to be one of the most iconic musicals of all time.
February 17, 2016
a beautifully done classic. a timeless love triangle. its thrilling and adventurous while showing a sweet romantic side. one of my favorite movies
January 15, 2016
Gorgeous in spectacle, story, and music.
January 2, 2016
Afraid the critics blew this one, the movie is spectacular!
½ December 27, 2015
this had the look and production value of a hallmark tv movie. nothing compares to the theatre. les mis pulled it off a bit better but for real, nothing compares to the theatre.
½ November 22, 2015
I really didn't know how I felt about this movie until the last half... Though I have seen better musicals, there was something about the end of this film that broke me in a way I wasn't expecting. I felt the Phantom's pain so acutely, yet I still supported Christine's decision. Better than I thought!