The Phantom of the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

½ December 27, 2015
this had the look and production value of a hallmark tv movie. nothing compares to the theatre. les mis pulled it off a bit better but for real, nothing compares to the theatre.
½ November 22, 2015
I really didn't know how I felt about this movie until the last half... Though I have seen better musicals, there was something about the end of this film that broke me in a way I wasn't expecting. I felt the Phantom's pain so acutely, yet I still supported Christine's decision. Better than I thought!
½ November 18, 2015
The impressive sets, costumes, production direction and cinematography make for a stunning visual spectacle, but most of the songs - with the exception of two or three - are hideous (yes, I hate both Andrew Lloyd Webber and his musical) and Butler is a terrible singer.
October 29, 2015
Imagine a big budget Disney animation about a princess in a castle and then, right in the middle of the effort they switch, ala the black and white to color switch in The Wizard Of Oz, to live action, and that gives you an idea of what you're getting in this sumptuous Joel Schumacher production. It's all so big, so grand, the idea that you're meant to be impressed becomes more distracting than what's grand. Distracting from what, you ask? From the core idea, irreplaceable really, that the Phantom himself is a monster. Why it was decided to ditch that element I'll never know, but what remains is clear: boring filmmaking. So you get all the sets: tremendous. The music: not bad, like music videos for the last generation, big time. Costumes? Hoo boy! But connection? Very little. Missed it by THAT much.
September 13, 2015
Softly, deftly, music shall carress you. Hear it, feel it, Secretly possess you.
August 30, 2015
Gerard Butler cannot sing. He has no breath support, and his voice is not right for the Phantom at all. The costumes and set design in this movie take my breath away, though.
½ August 25, 2015
I recently re-watched The Phantom of the Opera (2005). Director Joel Schumacher made some very odd production and story-telling choices throughout the adaption. While the supporting cast is very strong (Simon Callow, Miranda Richardson, Ciarán Hinds, Minnie Driver), the three leads are badly miscast in their roles. Gerard Butler is handsome (too handsome for the role of the Phantom) but his voice is weak. Emmy Rossum has a beautiful voice but couldn't act her way out of a paper bag in this film. The less said about Patrick Wilson as Raoul, the better (one word: bland). The film is a disappointment.
August 9, 2015
The music is great, but the movie itself is boring, unsatisfying, and way too long. You're better off just buying the soundtrack.
½ August 1, 2015
A decent effort to bring the story of The Phantom of the Opera to the screen, but failed in terms of directing, writing, and adapting
½ July 27, 2015
Fantastic musical numbers gets you hooked to this film from start to finish, even if Gerard Butler isn't the greatest singer in the world, Emmy Rossum completely lights up the screen and shines bright on it. FANASTIC
½ July 26, 2015
It will probably be a long time before I revisit the films "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" since they are two of the worst comic book adapted movies to come out. Defending his direction of the films, Schumacher said "they're called comic books, not drama books." While Joel Schumacher failed to capture the true essence of the Batman universe, he was able to nail the tone of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" in many aspects.

Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum are simply the perfect cast choices for the leads of this film, though Rossum mainly seems to be there for a pretty face to look at. I am saying that in terms of her acting, but her singing is incredible. We all know she is able to deliver with the concluding cadenza of "Think of Me," which is a song featured in the first twenty minutes of the film. I have only seen clips of past Phantoms, but Gerard Butler comes across as a very powerful Phantom, seeming dominant with his beautiful tenor voice rather than going falsetto like previous phantoms - falsetto doesn't seem menacing at all.

The core of the story focuses on the infamous love triangle between the Phantom, Christine Daae, and Raoul. Christine is tutored as a singer for many years by the titular Phantom, who she believes her late father has sent for her. Her childhood friend, Raoul, conveniently shows up as at this point in her life so that she may have a lover. Christine and Raoul represent the ideal couple while the Phantom grows jealous; he devoted a lot of his life to her by shaping her into a successful singer while she is attracted to Raoul, who contains no physical distortion like the Phantom. Talk about friend-zoning; in fact, a good alternate title would be "The Phantom of the Opera: The Adult story of the Friend Zone."

While the friend-zoning idea is an oversimplification of the movie, it is this frustrating love triangle that lets us connect to the Phantom, feeling sorry for him since he longs for love having never known love before as a hideous circus attraction. The film has a confusing message like Beauty and the Beast - both seem to say that looks should not matter when it comes to love, but their conclusions then go against that with the Beast turning back into a prince, and Christine living with Raoul rather than with the Phantom.

This is a great love story as well as a great tragedy. The music makes this film so powerful though I know this has clearly been done before since this musical has been around for ages. The music makes it a great experience, and an enjoyable one in which one may get lost, surrounded by "the music of the night." Some parts are cheesy, I do not completely agree with the casting choice of Raoul, but this is still a strong film due to its great execution.
½ July 20, 2015
Beautiful looking, great story and great music, but the cast is bland and after seeing the Broadway show, this disappoints. A lot.
July 16, 2015
Fancy and brilliantly filmed and sung. Admittedly, it was at times, boring.
July 5, 2015
I used to be obsessed with this movie, and don't get me wrong, the scenery and vision behind the movie is spectacular. You couldn't achieve this level of sensationalism in the stage version. But it lacks what the stage version provides, which is usually wonderful performances. Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum are decent singers but not ones that can carry this musical. They should have cast actual theatre/Broadway performers to stay true to that of what Andrew Lloyd Webber had achieved: a timeless piece.
½ July 5, 2015
The costume and set were amazing. The soundtrack was easily one of the best soundtracks for a production of Phantom of the Opera. The acting itself was not that fantastic. Christine kept the same doe-eyed look on her face the entire time
July 1, 2015
When you think of all that could be done with this classic story this movie ends up being a major disappointment. It never truly establishes the phantom as a memorable character. It never has you feeling anxious or even interested in what is happening. Even the music wasn't as good as I have heard it elsewhere before. It's really lacking a true cinematic touch. (First and only viewing - 7/2/2015)
June 19, 2015
It would seem that this movie demands a little too much maturity and musical understanding from most, but I assure you that this IS a masterpiece in the world of film and art. Fantastically original characters and plot that redefine love coupled with a breathtaking array of musical talent and display, this movie deserves much much more and it saddens me that so few have the ability to appreciate it
June 15, 2015
very good actors and similar atmosphere to the Broadway atmosphere.
½ June 7, 2015
The singing sucked compared to the original, but the visuals and story were very good...
½ June 7, 2015
Good music. Not Gerard Butlers best....