Phantom of the Opera Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

Phantom of the Opera is a 1943 remake of the 1925 film based on the 1910 book Phantom of the Opera. The film was directed by Arthur Lubin, and stars Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera and Susanna Foster as Christine Daaé. The story I found to be very engaging and intriguing, especially once Erique Claudin starts to turn into The Phantom of the Opera. The actors I found put themselves into the roles of the characters very nicely, especially Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera, I found that he gave a really gripping and mysterious performance. The characters were also entertaining and intriguing, from the mysterious Phantom to the cautious Viscount Raoul de Chagny. The cinematography was strong, with a few very memorable and grand shots of the characters and scenery. The production and costumes were really well done and detailed, especially with the design of the opera house. The soundtrack was defiantly one of the best aspects of the film, from the great atmosphere it gave off to how well the music was performed. The film at points also had some very atmosphere, especially with the tense and iconic chandelier scene. The film I also personally found to be very enjoyable, and I hope to watch it again soon. Over all I give it a 7/10 - would recommend

• Aug 15, 2018

Less Phantom, more Opera. Instead of just copy and past the 1925 just with in color and different actors. they made it more a drama/Thriller. The Phantom more of a Tragic man who went insane. And (SPOILERS) The Phantom's death makes you fell pity for him. This Film's a MASTERPIECE.

• Jun 09, 2018

I've seen a number of Phantom of the Opera adaptations and, as much as I like Claude Rains, this is one of the lesser ones. This movie uses a number of extended operatic numbers to pad the runtime, and it really makes it drag. The filmmakers also throw in some goofy comedy bits, which feels out of place. It was interesting to see a different version of this story, but I doubt I'll watch this movie again.

• May 01, 2018

Lazily put togheter and unfocused this turns out to be a mediocre lackluster remake of 1925´s version

• Jan 21, 2018

I know it is called Phantom of the Opera... But there is too much opera. I do like the unusually progressive ending though, lol.

• Oct 07, 2017

While parts of this were enjoyable, I do not think that this is the best version of this story. I am not big on Opera music, and this version floods with it. I appreciate the classic nature of this film, but prefer the others with better music and songs.

• Jun 08, 2017

I can't help but compare this to Chaney's silent classic, and it just plain doesn't hold up. Completely lacking in the gothic, macabre visuals of that one, it instead leans into the phantom's romantic origin story, and it's just not that engaging. The tone is all over the place, with lots of dramatic men with wispy mustaches saying (intentionally?) comedic things, with a few cool moments of tension breaking the doldrums (chandelier, use of shadow).

• Mar 12, 2017

Entertaining and genre-bending. Not sure it deserves its place in the classic Universal Monsters line-up though,

• Nov 12, 2016

Not a terrible film. But I expect better from Universal. Reins is fantastic as the Phantom. It takes too long to get to his transformation. And maybe this is because I'm not a musical fan, but there's just way too much Opera in this. That's probably a silly complaint. But I felt like the original Lon Chaney version, and the Hammer version starring Herbert Lom, found a much better balance.

• Oct 11, 2016

Good performance by Claude Rains, great directing in some scenes. Overall story and dialog was lacking.