Phantom of the Opera Reviews

• Aug 16, 2020

Again as with the creature from the black lagoon, this is one of the last good universal monster films.

• Jul 22, 2020

creepy and really effective.

creepy and really effective.

• Taylor W
    Jul 05, 2020

Fandango had the movie wrong it was not the 1943 version at all but it was still a good movie.

• Jun 28, 2020

While Lon Chaney's 1925 portrayal of the character of the Phantom functions far better as a villain and makes that film an undeniable classic, this film is a far more well-rounded adaptation of the story and Claude Rains portrayal brings an entirely different dimension to the character.

• Apr 13, 2020

Though it is a non-musical version of the story, it's actors and costuming make it a film that needs to be seen to be believed.

• Jan 12, 2020

I love the old classic movies that are more horror focused so I didn't like the romance focus of this movie. The phantom is not in the film that much and the make-up that was so horrifying in the 1925 version was not the least bit horrifying in this movie. The large majority of the movie was drama and the phantom seemed like just an ordinary person unlike Lon Chaney's 1925 phantom who seemed to be almost like a ghost. If you like romance movies this might be for you but in a horror movie sense it was not very good.

• Sep 07, 2019

Phantom of the Opera is a 1943 remake of the 1925 film based on the 1910 book Phantom of the Opera. The film was directed by Arthur Lubin, and stars Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera and Susanna Foster as Christine Daaé. The story I found to be very engaging and intriguing, especially once Erique Claudin starts to turn into The Phantom of the Opera. The actors I found put themselves into the roles of the characters very nicely, especially Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera, I found that he gave a really gripping and mysterious performance. The characters were also entertaining and intriguing, from the mysterious Phantom to the cautious Viscount Raoul de Chagny. The cinematography was strong, with a few very memorable and grand shots of the characters and scenery. The production and costumes were really well done and detailed, especially with the design of the opera house. The soundtrack was defiantly one of the best aspects of the film, from the great atmosphere it gave off to how well the music was performed. The film at points also had some very atmosphere, especially with the tense and iconic chandelier scene. The film I also personally found to be very enjoyable, and I hope to watch it again soon. Over all I give it a 7/10 - would recommend

• Aug 15, 2018

Less Phantom, more Opera. Instead of just copy and past the 1925 just with in color and different actors. they made it more a drama/Thriller. The Phantom more of a Tragic man who went insane. And (SPOILERS) The Phantom's death makes you fell pity for him. This Film's a MASTERPIECE.

• Jun 09, 2018

I've seen a number of Phantom of the Opera adaptations and, as much as I like Claude Rains, this is one of the lesser ones. This movie uses a number of extended operatic numbers to pad the runtime, and it really makes it drag. The filmmakers also throw in some goofy comedy bits, which feels out of place. It was interesting to see a different version of this story, but I doubt I'll watch this movie again.

• May 01, 2018

Lazily put togheter and unfocused this turns out to be a mediocre lackluster remake of 1925´s version