The Phantom Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom Planet Reviews

June 30, 2016
Altough not really a classic b-movie, nor a "so-bad-it's-good" type of movie, this very 50's looking sci-fi movie from 1961 is worthy of your attention. From time to time it can drag a bit but also, from time to time, it can surprise you. And yes it does have some "so-bad-it's-good" moments.
½ April 16, 2016
There seemed to be a lot of dodgy thinking going on, considering this was space exploration. For instance, spaceships going along a certain route keep on mysteriously disappearing, and the man in charge simply decides to send one more ship at a time, along the same route. What's going to happen when he runs out of men? And there are many other instances that defy all attempts at logic. This is one of those films that would have given Spock a sleepless night, let me tell you.

As I'm finishing up my now-legendary Mill Creek 50-pack, 'Nightmare Worlds', I watched this, and it was fun, fine and downright decent. I had a good time, and it was very enjoyable with some interesting ideas (and Richard Kiel in a rubber monster suit), once I put my brain into suspended animation. As of yet, I haven't bothered with MST3K or its related ilk, as I fail to see the point--the idea seems stupid and condescending. It seems like if the neighbourhood prostitute regularly charged say, $5, and for $50, you would have the experience, but with two losers there, laughing at her and explaining to you why she was a whore. At least to my estimation, cinema shouldn't be experienced like that. Every film is like a woman, appreciates its own love and understanding, and furthermore, deserves to be treated like a lady.
½ April 16, 2016

½ May 14, 2014
This is the worst sci-fi ever! Plan 9 is a true masterpiece if compare with this. Poor Richard Kiel as the Solarite.
November 29, 2013
The thing about bad movies, at least the worst ones, is the lack of any sort of structure, or story ideas. Actually, anything resembling some sort of talent put into them. Sure The Phantom Planet is not a great movie at all, but after watching it, you can tell that an attempt was made by someone to do at least something with it. It didn't work, but the movie has some sort of structure and has something to say, which is more than I can say for a lot of the bad movie fodder floating around out there. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying it's a hidden gem. The dialogue is corny and laughable, a lot of the effects are bad and the acting is not great, but it does feel genuine. At least it does to me. I rather liked the effect of Captain Chapman shrinking in his spacesuit after he crashed on the planet's surface, but that's the most memorable thing about it, and they even re-use it later in reverse when he goes back to normal size. The Mystery Science Theater 3000 version offers up some laughs, which is better than nothing.
½ November 5, 2013
Welcome to Rheton, planet of the little people--Goofy low budget 60s sci fi schlock!!
April 16, 2013
Bit of an oddball movie about an astronaut that is forced to land on an asteroid, is shrunk to teeny tiny size, and find out he's been captured and forced to stay on the planet, for no REAL apparent reason. While he's there, he finds out that (apparently) there's only 5 people on it including him (oh and an alien), the 2 females on the planet don't have much men selection do they? No wonder they go apeshit. This film does have some fun weird ideas, but it's a bit of a chore to sit through.
December 15, 2012
Slow, rather boring, but campy enough. The story doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the characters are lousy. The effects aren't too great. There's nothing too special, but it's not entirely bad.
August 27, 2012
Seems much longer than it actually is due to it being so incredibly boring. Like most sci-fi around this time, the "special effects" are cheesy and the story is dime-a-dozen and lame. Since it sucks, you can expect Richard Kiel to be in it somewhere...and there he is!
½ April 10, 2012
MST3K version: 4/5
Regular Version .5/5

Horrible, horrible sci-fi film with absolutely no passable scientific conclusions (oxygen controlling size?!?), monsters that look like bizarre puppies, and a plot thinner than the most recently released Mac book.
With that said, Mike and the Bots do a great job riffing on this one in the MST3K version.
½ December 1, 2011
It's one of those comically bad sci fi exploitation films that manages to fail on almost every level (writing, acting, lighting, special effects, etc.) plus it's pretty boring.
October 29, 2011
Uhhh... yeah. Not good.
½ September 26, 2011
The Phantom Planet is one of the most boring, pointless movies I've ever seen. Pathetic even by the standard of 1950's B-grade sci-fi, Planet has less action than 2001 A Space Odyssey, with none of that film's originality, vision, or sense of wonderment. Angry Red Planet and This Island Earth are hot stuff compared to this.
Like so many other sci-fi schlockfests, this one begins with endless narration about the wonders of the universe, what man may find as he travels farther from earth, and all those other generalities that sound impressive to kids who haven't heard the same spiel in a dozen other movies. Then we're treated to a boring scene of a rocket crashing into an asteroid that looks suspiciously like a piece of fried chicken, which explodes into the film's title. From there an expedition is sent in search of the lost ship, and the crew's sole survivor finds himself trapped on the titular planet, where he experiences tedious adventures that you will have to see for yourself (or hopefully not).
Phantom Planet contains nothing interesting, nothing original, and nothing well done. The plot is nonsensical and shoestring thin, even with a tacked on romantic subplot. All the characters and dialogue are off the shelf, and all acting is wooden. I doubt the actors could have shown less emotion or been less believable if they'd been reading their lines off a sheet of paper. And no expense was taken on the special effects, which would have been underwhelming twenty years before this was made. The monster is on par with Ro-Man from Robot Monster, the flaming meteors appear to be flaming wads of newspaper, and the spaceships are clearly children's toys.
As a result of these shortcomings, none of the scenes generate any excitement; not the asteroid field scene, not the first encounter with the tiny natives of the mysterious planet, and certainly not the ridiculous Duel of Raytar. Even the hallucinations are boring. The only part that provides any amusement is the explanation of the Phantom Planet's scientific phenomenon, and then only for the sheer incredulousness it generates. Even Flash Gordon had better science than this.
So the whole movie is a meaningless snooze fest that couldn't entertain anyone with the intellectual capacity to read this review. At the very end, as the narrator intones, we see the words 'The Beginning' appear on screen. I think we can all be thankful that this prediction did not come true, and that nothing was ever heard of the asteroid/planet/fried chicken piece again.
½ May 10, 2011
The only way to watch this is with the MST3K guys of course. Then it goes from a pathetic excuse for a science fiction movie to cheesy awesomeness.
March 14, 2011
Takes some time to really get going, but much easier to enjoy in Legend Films colorization - too bad MST3K and Legend subsidiary Rifftrax have not yet combined elements on such obvious crossovers yet. Bob Kinoshita's detailed design work looks even more superb in color, making the plentifully dull passages much more passable.
February 4, 2011
Yeah it's slow and cheesy but I dig this movie. I still think he should've gone with the mute brunette tho.
January 17, 2011
Land your phallic rocket on the fried chicken asteroid and discover that gravity can do anything! This is hilariously illogical even for an MST movie.
January 9, 2011
What was the point of them all shrinking down to 6 inches tall?? So they'd have a whole lot of sweet and sour sauce for their giant McNugget? Watch the MST3k version or you might not make it to the end.
½ November 23, 2010
This movie is stupid and nonsensical, the guy lands on some planet and shrinks to the tiny size of the rest of the people there, and they put him through some crazy trials and then need his help against their enemy, and other sci-fi type stuff happens, but you keep wondering what the point is and when the story is going to get anywhere, but it doesn't. This is a horrible movie.
middleeasternfilms