Phenomenon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phenomenon Reviews

November 1, 2017
I really enjoy watching this film. The first three quarters are really intriguing and interesting, but the ending is a bit disappointing but still watchable. John Travolta is great as George Malley
½ October 9, 2017
A solid movie that can shed a tear and is patient enough to let you care about the main character and understand what the he is going through.
½ September 3, 2017
Wonderful heartfelt movie. Some scenes are a bit cheesey but all over it's a nice love story and an an experiment of how good people can be.
½ August 6, 2017
Not deep at all, but quite enjoyable due to an incredible collection of talent among the cast
June 19, 2017
Beautiful movie which all can enjoy.
June 17, 2017
i don't know who else is watching or reviewing, what i do know is that if you want to watch something thoughtful, and thought provoking, with a great soundtrack, great locations and great acting, you should give this a try.
February 20, 2017
The best work that I seen John Travolta perform. To me , the abilities was just the side story. It was more about being your best and live life to the fullest. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone and that is the way he lived. What people don't understand they tend to destroy or alienate like they did him. He was always "George" just happen to be a little smarter. He just wanted to share what he knew and wanted to learn more. He helped people and didnt always return it back to him. made him an outsider for no reason. Some say movie about intelligence; I say its about going after what you always wanted when its presented to you .

George Malley: I'm what everyone can be. Anyone can get here. I'm the possibility. What I'm talking about is the human spirit. That's the challenge. That's the voyage. That's the expedition.
½ January 17, 2017
A beautiful mind meets A walk to remember, this film has a subtle love interest and a humble farmer who receives unique clarity and mental abilities due to natural events. This film is a tearjerker, however leaves you with some heartwarming afterthoughts about life and love. Truly a beautiful moving peice of cinima.
September 26, 2016
Sincere effort made by cast and crew to make this a believable tale, and it's through the genuiness of them that this comes off a a touching story.
July 17, 2016
John Travolta, Forest Whitaker, Kyra Sedgwick and Robert Duvall head up one of the more heartwarming of this genre (just short of Flowers for Algeron) wherein a regular guy suddenly finds himself invested with superior mental prowess. It gets slow right before the end but damned if I didn't forgive it for doing so due to the excellent handling of the material by all involved.
May 16, 2016
I always liked this movie, John Travolta's performance is outstanding the supporting cast is first rate keep an open mind when watching. If you're the type of person who enjoys tearing other people down in order to build yourself up, this moving is not for you.
April 5, 2016
This movie is much better than a 50%. Something is Rotten in the State of Rotten Tomatoes.
March 3, 2016
Horribly underrated.This film brought tears to my eyes.
December 26, 2015
A pleasant and likeable tale, with periods of runtime that do drag and will bore most audiences.
August 13, 2015
possibly my favorite john travolta movie this is very good it's got heart and creatively.
July 19, 2015
This is a good movie if you like dramas and the subject matter piques your interest....it doesn't have a happy ending, but it's just about the only ending that it could have. ... recommended, at least once.....
June 20, 2015
Interesting movie. Really depressing towards the end though. But it was really cool to see how much the guy learned in such a short amount of time.
May 2, 2015
Sometimes the performances rise up and help elevate an otherwise average script....this is one of those times.
March 22, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that john Travolta, forest whittaker, Robert duvall, kyra Sedgwick, brent spiner, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama/sci-fi/fantasy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that this is such a really sad touching movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie.......

The film earned mixed reviews from critics, and maintains a 50 percent average rating at Rotten Tomatoes based on 34 reviews.

The film was a box office success, having earned more than $16,000,000 on its opening weekend, debuting on third position and later climbing up to second. It finally grossed $104,636,382 in the US and $47,400,000 elsewhere, grossing approximately $152,000,000 overall.

A scene in which Malley asks Pennamin, "Hey, would you, uh, love me for the rest of my life?" and she responds, "No, I'm gonna love you for the rest of mine" inspired Trace Adkins' late-1997 single "The Rest of Mine".

Awards and nominations

Travolta and Whitaker both won a Blockbuster Entertainment Award for their performances in 1997. Moreover Whitaker received an Image Award. In the same year the film was nominated for a Saturn Award. Travolta was nominated for a MTV Movie Award for his performance as well as for Best Kiss with Kyra Sedgwick. Eric Clapton was nominated for his song Change the World and won an ASCAP Award and the BMI Film & TV Award. Thomas Newman also received a BMI Film & TV Award for the score.

Phenomenon II

On November 1, 2003 a television movie titled Phenomenon II was broadcast on the ABC Network. It was directed by Ken Olin and starred Terry O'Quinn, Jill Clayburgh and Christopher Shyer as George Malley. Although it was billed as a sequel to the film, Phenomenon II is actually a partial-remake of the original film, essentially retelling the original story while adding new characters and introducing a sub-plot involving the NSA. The open ending of the telefilm suggests that it may have served as a pilot for a new TV series, though a Phenomenon series has not materialized.

man this is such a really sad touching movie 2 watch, it is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch, it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, its such an entertaining movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....I think that kyra Sedgwick was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie as the love interest of john Travolta throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really sad touching movie 2 watch, but it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie, it is such an enjoyable love story/romance movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ March 13, 2015
started off well, then became a tear jerker