Phffft! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phffft! Reviews

½ February 2, 2015
Typical Jack Lemmon struggling to survive. Lemmon fans will love this one as he struggles to get back to the dating scene after a divorce. All the cliches about dating in this one no doubt. Kim Novak plays the much younger date to a tee.

Not hilarious but amusing for the many truths this film contains. Moral is the guy/gal you left behind wasn't really all that bad and dating is every bit as worse as you thought.

Lemmon's former wife finds dating just as problematic. Jack Carson terrific as always. In the end a fun romantic comedy about the realities of trying to date after 30.
January 22, 2013
Good old fashioned and timeless fun. I love - love - love Jack Lemmon in ANY movie. How could you not?
½ August 25, 2012
Another silly but highly enjoyable Jack Lemmon comedy, where he and his wife, Judy Holiday, separate and Jack decides to be a womanizer. For my money, Kim Novak steals the show as one of Jack's girls during his single life. Seeing them here made me want to go back and rematch "Bell, Book and Candle", even though Jack was more of a support in character in that one. Overally, a pretty silly and forgettable film, but it's still awfully entertaining.
December 30, 2011
nicely acted by the leads, but the script runs on a bit long.
November 9, 2010
Because some slang from the fifties was left in the fifties, I had no idea what the title of this film referred to until I saw it. It simply means divorce or a split up of a husband and wife. That's basically what the movie's about. It's a predictable story, but it's a hilarious movie with a great cast.
½ November 4, 2010
The title is about right. Good cast, iffy material - it's not funny enough to be a comedy but is too light to work as a relationship drama.
July 26, 2010
March 15, 2010
Any film with Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday can't be all bad. The film is a bout a couple, played by Lemmon and Holliday, who divorce after eight years of marriage, but really still love each other. An uneven mix of comedy and drama, it lacks focus and direction. But, the stars make it worth watching. Kim Novak's first film. Good support from Jack Carson
May 27, 2009
This is an average fifties sex comedy, somewhat improved by its stars, Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday. They also worked together in a better film, It Should Happen To You. Kim Novak's performance is basically an impersonation of Marilyn Monroe, but quite good. Jack Carson plays a 'wolf' which seems apt as he always seems a bit creepy to me.
April 30, 2009
I love the Judy Holliday/Jack Lemmon pairing, although this film is not as witty or well written as 'It Should Happen to You.' Still, it's an entertaining comedy with two Hollywood greats. The beautiful Kim Novak also adds some laughs with her canny Marilyn Monroe impersonation. Overall, 'Phffft' is an enjoyable farce for a rainy afternoon.
January 23, 2009
I have got to get around to seeing this...
January 7, 2009
Didn't see it all, but loved what I did see. Judy Holliday actually has a normal voice!
jjnxn
½ November 30, 2008
Good perfomances from good performers but the script is a nothing.
August 15, 2008
Awesome movie! Hilarious writing and acting, with a very cute premise.
½ October 7, 2007
Judy is very good actress.