Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune Reviews

January 29, 2016
"Changes" is on my all-time top ten list of folk songs; so why don't I feel guilty about not liking this film?

Is it because we could plug in a dozen different names for Phil Ochs and end up with the same movie? Is it because boyish charm wears thin all too quickly? Or is it because the truth is finally revealed with the release of Phil's seventh and final studio album, "Greatest Hits" (1970) - which, contrary to its title, offers ten tracks of new material, a gold lamé suit and an abundance of self-pity?

Are we attracted to the music because of the politics - or, are we attracted to the politics because of the music? I will always settle on the latter; sorry Phil, sorry Pete - think "one-hit-wonder".
September 22, 2013
Phil Ochs is amazing and so so overlooked. Everybody watch this and bow down to his fantastic talent and wit.
December 17, 2012
I saw this movie on netflix. I went in having never heard of Phil Ochs, I came out feeling true emotion about his life and his plight. Kenneth Bowser did an excellent job of telling the story in a way that is both appealing and accessible to most
½ June 30, 2012
If you weren't aware of Phil Ochs' wide range of musical compositions and his political persona during the turbulent 60s, this film would serve mostly as a historical chronicle of those times. But for those of us fortunate enough to have known and loved his work, it is a beautifully-made documentary/biography of him with his music playing throughout. I was fortunate enough to not only love his music but to have been graced with his generous spirit when he agreed to meet with a friend of mine and me at a little restaurant in Westwood in 1971 when he was 31 and we were 16. I was really moved by this film and reminded of what a brilliant songwriter he was. I want to revisit his music, especially Pleasures of the Harbor, Tape from California and Rehearsals for Retirement. The film solved the mystery in my mind about what happened to Phil beginning with the Greatest Hits album up to his suicide at 35. Phil Ochs was one of the greatest songwriters of our century and one who should have been celebrated far more than he has been.
½ March 19, 2012
This is a great documentary about the interesting and tragic figure of Phil Ochs and the moments of history that he lived in.
February 3, 2012
Well done documentary about a voice that seems to have been all too overlooked in retrospectives about folk music and the protest movements of the 60s.
January 27, 2012
He was the best topical protest singer/songwriter ever
January 10, 2012
It is amazing to me that Phil's story is known by so few. This is a tough tale to stomach but so compelling. Watch it folks--even better, find some of Phil's songs, listen and learn, then pass them on.
January 1, 2012
A solid, if unexceptional, documentary about a very interesting and exceptional man.
December 21, 2011
The story of a man that needed to find a purpose to live and in the process put an era into great focus. Phil Ochs, a great folk musician in his own right, in the end succumbed to his manic depression and suffered the disparities of wanting to be popular and making an actual difference.
December 17, 2011
Good 60's (US) history review and interesting revelation of one side of Bob Dylan's personality.
November 9, 2011
saya belom tau mo ngomong,alnya blom nnton,,^^
November 2, 2011
True American patriot. He could have been a great teacher and leader of today's protesters.
September 3, 2011
Coherent, powerful, informative... now, I want to learn the Ochs' songs I'd forgotten about. Thanks, Brandywine, for showing!
August 16, 2011
"I'm Going to Say it Now." I've found a kindred spirit!
August 12, 2011
If you want to know about the 60's this is the film to see.
½ August 9, 2011
This soon-to-be beloved documentary may have the inspiration it needs, but without a larger budget to put this documentary together it is extremely dull. The story is intriguing and Phil Ochs is an amazing human beings, but there is a big chunck of something missing that most great documentaries have, a certain direction with the interviews. I held my hands up with my hands in boredom as I was watching this film, but by the end of the picture, I was facinated by how such an average person became so rich and famous. This was a very solid documentary and I recommend it!
July 28, 2011
The "synopsis" below on "A 1989 compilation" is about just that, an album, not the excellent documentary released in Jan. 2011.
July 27, 2011
Very sad but so touching. Spares no one, least of all this country.