Phil Spector - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phil Spector Reviews

March 5, 2016
al pacino always does good in the tv movies... he knows how to do it... like back in you don't know jack...
January 31, 2016
Interesting take on the preparation for the trial of the nut-bucket Phil Spector. Al Pacino, once again is perfection, and Helen Mirren is equally spot on as the hot shot lawyer who defends him. David Mamet wrote and directed this HBO film. Fascinating study.
January 16, 2016
Acting (Dame Helen Mirren in particular) is the only worthwhile part.
½ June 6, 2015
Controversies on what's fact and fiction aside, the Mamet, Pacino and Mirren combo is definitely an interesting one to watch. Featuring excellent performances and an even better collection of wigs, this is one of HBO Films most controversial releases to date even if it's not one of their most compelling. Great use of the music Spector has made his fortune on too!
½ June 6, 2015
A pretty bad movie but Al Pacino's performance is riveting, making it worth having as background noise while surfing the Internet
February 20, 2015
Tried to roll too much of this and a little of that into a crap egg roll of a movie.
January 16, 2015
Phil Spector, a legend. And a nut case, if you are to believe this film. Nothing much happens, but Al Pacino gets to spend a looong time shouting out his monologues the way only he can. And Helen Mirren, who would think that lady turns 70 this summer!
January 14, 2015
It's all about Mr. Pacino.
½ January 10, 2015
Good story, but ends too soon.
December 23, 2014
A David Mamet screenplay, he also directed and starring Mirren and Pacino telling the post first trial story of Phil Spector's trial for murder., which is probably closer to a play than a movie.
Inevitably the film deals with the prejudices for and against celebrity and the film itself, as do all the characters and you/me as the audience.
Even the reviewers here on Rotten Tomatoes do it.
Pacino shows Spector as a barely sane has been whose live seems as mysterious to him as it does to us. A performance of operatic overstatement surrounded by a case with buckets of circumstantial evidence and only one witness.
The victim is certainly absent from the film.
In many ways this is a slight made for TV movie, but it is mesmerising at the same time.
See it if you can.
½ October 6, 2014
Try's to make spector look more sympathetic. Seems like half the reason he got convicted was for being stupid and a tool. Pacino give a very "angels in america" performance. I know nothing of this case and i don't know if that helps or hurts my opinion.
½ July 1, 2014
Enjoyed some parts and aspects. Didn't know squat about Spector before I watched it. Al and Helen both felt a bit over the top, but perhaps that was required for the characters. I dunno. Kind of a fluff piece - if that's even possible for a story based on a murder.
June 29, 2014
Proof that stylish direction, great performances and good dialogue do not always a good movie make.
June 28, 2014
El director y guionista David Mamet, al decidir dejar de lado la fascinante biografía del productor musical Phil Spector y al centrarse solamente en su juicio por asesinato, nos deja con una gran sensación de tener una historia incompleta. Sin embargo, las actuaciones de Helen Mirren, como la abogada de Spector y de Al Pacino, como el excéntrico productor, hacen que este drama legal salga a flote.
½ June 21, 2014
Uneven, propagandizing look at the enigmatic record producer. Pacino is his usual great self, and thoroughly engrosses himself in the role, which certainly helps the film. But overall, it dragsâ?¦ And doesn't ever fully right itself.
March 3, 2014
good screenplay great actors. Uninteresting subject. Nothing likable about Phill
February 13, 2014
I paid little attention to the death of Lana Clarkson or Phil Spector's trials when these events were happening. I didn't have much expectation for the film, but when Helen Mirren won Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Actress - Film or Miniseries, I decided to keep an open mind and watch the film.

Thrilled with the film and it was simply marvelous. The acting by Al Pacino (Phil Spector) and Mirren (attorney Linda Baden) were extremely convincing. The writing is also excellent.
February 5, 2014
Mamet's best work for the screen as a writer/director since "Oleanna" and as a writer since "Glengarry Glen Ross". It requires an essay to explain why and currently, no time for that.

"This movie is essential viewing for everyone in the media and the world who are ignorant to what is happening to the great Woody Allen. The thing is, society skipped basic ethics and have gone straight to dark-age thinking. Woody and Phil are guilty and look, just outside the window, see it? It's a pig with wings and it's not a Pink Floyd prank.
½ January 30, 2014
Very slow-moving and dull even for a musical fanatic like myself.
December 7, 2013
I kept up with this in the news, but didn't know the entire story. Its always good to learn more and see the inside story.