Philomena Reviews

• Feb 16, 2019

Coogan is brilliant here in both writing and acting. His subtle yet heartfelt performance makes this movie a true gem. As for Philomena, I admit, her holier than thou figure annoyed me more than once while watching the movie. I am not sure whether she was indeed like that or whether the sanctification has been made for dramatic purposes. Still, Dench manages to not overdo it and to stay just within the confines of the believable. She might, indeed, have felt great anger and even more, but managed to process it within herself and still keep it quiet and polite. The whole affair is a subtle and deep study of the human nature, of its ugly and evil and beautiful sides. I think the movie also serves as a great example of the hypocrisy and cruelty of some representatives of the Christian faith--not that we haven't known it already but it's a useful reminder.

• Dec 30, 2018

Beautifully acted. A disturbing but also heart-warming story. Reflects profoundly on the nature of religion and forgiveness.

• Dec 23, 2018

Gobsmacking, and ultimately touching, story, Coogan is not completely convincing as Sixsmith, but at least doesn't revert to all his usual Partridge-like tics (perhaps well directed by Frears), while the latter dials up the hysteria when it could have been more subtly done, but hey, that's his style.

• Dec 21, 2018

As much as "Philomena" is a delightfully satisfying portrait of a morally inspiring woman with an epic resolve and terrific character, the movie also possesses a seriously pervasive undercurrent of journalistic intrigue, where you -- the audience member -- are utterly riveted from the moment Dench and Coogan set off on their journey until it finally comes to a close. It's like a good true crime narrative, but replace the shock value with genuine pathos and the central suspect with one of the finest people I've seen depicted in a movie in a long time. "Philomena" is a triumphant, beautiful, and unquestionably fascinating depiction of an equally fascinating true story.

• Dec 16, 2018

Really, really liked it. The story inspired me a lot about forgiveness and how different people few that topic. Also it was good to see the story of the laundries come to light.

• Sep 02, 2018

A very lovely film that...honestly, I watched it only because Judi Dench starred in it. Being such a supremely talented actress, she is portrays the lovely old lady persona that she usually plays on the screen. I thoroughly enjoyed the film despite its wistful and poignant plot, as Judi Dench's portrayal of Philomena's sense of humour and lighthearted spirit makes the intense, true-story subject matter more manageable to digest.

• Jun 18, 2018

A precious story of a mother forced to give up her child for adoption seeking to reconnect at a later age with the assistance of a journalist. What they find is surprising, heartbreaking and a lesson on everyone's individuality and humanity.

• May 01, 2018

what's done is done.. Philomena The exaggeration of one's affection and the keen sense of hunger towards the personality is projected with utter beauty and through little maniacal things that actually sweetens it up. Steven Coogan and Jeff Pope's adaptation from Martin Sixsmith's book may be short and edited nicely but isn't smart or effective as the writers think. If the script is a let down, then Stephen Frears saves it brilliantly through its amazing execution skills that doesn't fail to impress the audience. Judi Dench stands alone on performance in here as she is the core strength and the highlight of the feature despite of Steve Coogan's decent act. Philomena is surely an important feature that draws out essential questions and emotions on screen but on terms of drama; that is its genre, it fails to create the anticipated impact.

• Mar 29, 2018

5/5. Philomena is a very funny movie that takes a sharp turn into heartbreak. I was not expecting where this film took me, nor was I prepared of it. But I'm glad it did. Excellent performances and a compelling story makes this one of the best films of 2013.

• Feb 24, 2018

An interesting story and some particularly unique characterization by Judi Dench.