Picking Up the Pieces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Picking Up the Pieces Reviews

May 16, 2015
gr8 another lost review!
½ October 3, 2014
What a total waste of time. The storyline is really bad and the acting is even worse. It would have been watchable if it was slightly funny, but the humour was silly and childish. I was surprised that the cast agreed to do the film after reading the script because it must have looked even worse on paper. With actors like Elliot Gould, Kiefer Sunderland and Sharon Stone, who are veterans in the acting world, I'm sure that they will just put this movie down as a bad day at the office. Terrible!

It's not very often that Woody Allen stars in a movie that he hasn't written or directed so I thought that this movie must have been good for him to star in it. How wrong was I! I usually find something good to say about the films that I watch, but I'm really struggling with this film. David Schwimmer, who plays a priest whose in love with a prostitute, acts the same as he does in all of his projects and Kiefer Sutherland plays a cop whose trying to find Woody Allen's wife who has been murdered by Allen. When the body parts fall of the back of his truck, a blind woman finds the hand and she miraculously gets her eye sight back. She then carries the hand back to her village and the hand brings more people miracles. After the word spreads around the world, loads of people come to the village to get cured by this amazing hand, but after a while the whole things spirals out of control. Who ever came up with the idea for this film, really does need to think of another career choice.

I recommend this movie to people who are into there silly comedies about a hand that can perform miracles. 1/10
½ September 24, 2014
What an oddly weird movie. It could almost get a cult following? I don't think I'll see this one again... It almost feels like Whomever wrote the script was inspired in Woody's earlier work, but what the movie dropped in quirk, it lacked in charm.
May 18, 2014
Fell asleep in the first half of the movie.. and woke up with the ending credit.
May 12, 2014
pretty weird actually,and I'm not really sure why Woody played this part, but not bad I guess. I always love send-ups of religion.
Totally forgot David Schwimmer was in it. my least favorite actor on "Friends."
February 6, 2013
I'm just curious about thist one. WTF!! Weirdest cast ever!!
½ April 30, 2012
woody allen is there, he makes everything not that bad even when it really is
½ January 2, 2012
un des pires woody allen
c est du 5eme degre c est burlesque mais c vraiment rate
½ October 11, 2011
love,jealousy,revenge, and then comes faith. A crazy little film with lot's of dark humor, that's highly offensive, but with an interesting message. Yes it is worth a veiwing.Bsides the cast is comical.
April 10, 2011
This film is a work of genius! Complex and cheeky, this is what "a priest and a rabbi go into a bar" joke should be. I've read some users consider it too weird, but that's just how magical realism is. Magical realism is very common in Latin America, and it combines reality with "fantasy." Honestly, I'm almost scared to call "Picking Up The Pieces" a fantasy, since many Latinos think miracles are real, and the situations seen in the movie are exaggerations of what we see in Latino news all the time. There's always a town trying to canonize someone, or claiming they saw the Virgin at the bottom of a well. The addition of the Jewish sense of humor with Woody Allen and David Schwimmer made it into an absolute classic in my opinion. This film combines all the things I love, and reminds me of how good comedies used to be before the "Frat Pack" took over.
½ August 18, 2010
Lot of well know names, lot of jokes (some fun).
Sadly... Nothing more.
May 21, 2010
one of my fave at least once a year flicks...add in never skipping it when crossing it on a movie channel surf...some mainstream fans of hollyweird flicks may not get it or may not want to...for them i say go find a sequel or reboot flick lol

have fun flicking

April 10, 2010
The biggest mystery about "PIcking Up the Pieces" is why such a bewildering array of well-known actors signed up for this silly, sacrilegious farce. The cast is like the head table at a celebrity roast: Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, Kiefer Sutherland, David Schwimmer, Fran Drescher, Elliott Gould, Eddie Griffin, Cheech Marin, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Andy Dick and Lou Diamond Phillips are all hamming it up and vying for screen time, but their talents are mostly wasted on broad characterizations and cheap jokes. Sutherland and his ever-nimble toothpick have a ball and come off quite well, but other thankless roles just suggest the acting community really, really loved "Like Water for Chocolate" (also directed by Alfonso Arau).

The main allure of "Picking Up the Pieces" is seeing Woody Allen in a rare appearance as a hired actor, though he's playing a nebbish part which he might as well have written himself. Allen portrays a Texas butcher who kills and dismembers his floozy wife (Stone), then trucks across the border to secretly bury her in the titular "pieces." He loses her hand in transport, but a blind woman (literally) stumbles on it and magically regains her sight. This leads to her tiny village enshrining the hand (extended middle finger and all), while an ethically shaky priest (Schwimmer) struggles with his conscience. More and more healing miracles occur, and the town becomes a cash-cow tourist trap. Meanwhile, Allen hears about the lost hand's notoriety and plots to steal back the evidence. The resulting complications are predictable (the sight gags involving enlarged breasts and penises are especially crass), but the film is plenty of fun anyway. Book it along with Alex Cox's "Straight to Hell" for a midnight double feature.
½ November 20, 2009
Tries to be funny but doesn't succeed. Terrible, really terrible.
½ September 14, 2009
Really enjoyable, even though it's completely shitty. What is Woody Allen doing in this movie? I hope he got a lot of money, because he's completely wasted in it. The rest of the cast looks really bored, with the exception of Kiefer Sutherland, who seems to be having a really good time. I think it's one of those cases of "you know who would be funny wearing a cowboy hat?" and they actually managed to get the Woodman for the role.
½ July 6, 2009
June 27, 2009
I'm just curious about thist one. WTF!! Weirdest cast ever!!
½ March 26, 2009
this movie is awesome
February 19, 2009
A really strange, surreal comedy from Alfonso Arau that has one of the few performances from Woody Allen that exists outside of material that he wrote and/or directed. It's easy to see why he chose to be in this movie since it deals with themes of religion, death, and the afterlife in a humorous way, and a lot of the dialogue Allen delivers almost feels like it was written specifically for him. The film is full of memorable characters, including a whore-mongering priest with a heart of gold played by David Schwimmer, a psychotic Texas state trooper played by Kiefer Sutherland, and a violent bug-eyed nun played by an almost unrecognizable Fran Drescher. The themes and ideas in this movie are in a constant state of war with each other, making this movie as thematically chaotic as the town it takes place in, but that seems to be the point at the end. The movie is deeply flawed, as the motivations for the actions of Allen's character during the final act don't much sense and a lot of the execution feels a bit half-baked and poorly thought out. However, at the end of the day this movie is pretty much what it set out to be, which is a surreal, absurd flick that giggles hysterically in the face of things that Woody Allen seems to laugh nervously at in his films, and I enjoyed it for what it was.
January 17, 2009
The stellar cast gave me high expectations, which only increased my disappointment with this terrible movie - a movie that thinks it is so much more clever than it actually is. A film that fancies itself a witty satire but is actually just a bemusing embarassment for all involved.