Picture Claire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Picture Claire Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
Discrepancy between the near-comedic plot and its bloody, naturalistic resolution dooms PICTURE CLAIRE.
July 21, 2015
It would be a somewhat interesting story if the situations weren't set up by idiotic circumstances.
½ November 13, 2013
Gritty and atmospheric, Picture Claire is a dark noir thriller. The story follows a girl who goes on the run after her apartment is burned down, but when she accidentally crosses paths with a smuggler she ends up being pursued by police and gangsters. The film has an interesting cast that features Juliette Lewis, Gina Gershon, Mickey Rourke, and Callum Keith Rennie. And the directing style is quite unusual, using split screens and different color filters. However, the storytelling is extremely poor, as is the character development. While there's some mystery and intrigue to Picture Claire, ultimately it ends up being rather mundane.
May 7, 2013
Great cast (Gina Gershon, Juliette Lewis, and, briefly, Mickey Rourke) wasted in weak neo-noir film.
½ March 26, 2011
A V.Good Directing ..
March 18, 2011
I don't want to hear one more word about her

Claire Beaucage is alone and in love. She ventures off to Toronto to find the man of her life and discovers he's not who she thought he was. She has no place to go and no one to go to when somehow she becomes entangled in a triangle of lies, deceit, robbery, and murder. Can Claire unwind herself from the confusion and perhaps rediscover true love?

"I bet she hates that...having her picture taken."

Bruce McDonald, director of Pontypool, The Dark Room, Trigger, Highway 61, and Roadkill, delivers Picture Claire. The storyline for this picture is discombobulated, hard to follow, and not particularly interesting. The acting is mediocre and the cast includes Juliette Lewis, Gina Gershon, Peter Stebbings, Callum Keith Rennie, and Mickey Rourke.

"Keep talking until you bore them."

Picture Claire is a movie that grabbed my attention because it "starred" Mickey Rourke; unfortunately, while his character was interesting, he was only in this picture 5-10 minutes. This movie reminded me of Run, Lola, Run which was also a dreadful movie with a limited plot. Overall, this film doesn't contain characters worth following and concludes with a whimper rather than a fireworks finale as one may anticipate.

"Heading back to Montreal, Cinderella?"

Grade: D-
February 7, 2011
PICTURE CLAIRE (2001)
January 25, 2011
Its a shame movies like this never find an audience. I thought 'Picture Claire' was very entertaining. Juliette has finally been given a part to sink her teeth into. She's wonderful in the lead. The rest of the cast were good as well. Some truly funny moments. I just wish she had of kept the dog.
October 1, 2010
This movie tries way too hard to be cool, and it just simply isn't.
November 14, 2009
The odd casting of Juliette Lewis as a French Canadian who doesn't speak English seems peculiar, but she is amazingly terrific. An intriguing rather strange film. Not bad at all.
July 1, 2009
I found it hard to identify with the main character in this movie. Plus the plot moved to slow, which dragged the movie on. This is a rare disappointing Bruce McDonald film.
½ May 11, 2009
Pretty much for fans of Juliette Lewis...
½ May 9, 2009
It's a bad movie and Bruce McDonald knows it, as evidenced by the companion film 'Claire's Hat' which I'm dying to see. (If you know where to get it, please God tell me) A singular road block on his career's hyperbolic path. It's bad enough to use unlikely coincidences to connect the necessary setpiece moments of a film, but it takes another kind of bad writing entirely when the film offers nothing but a series of chance meetings and occurrences for no reason other than to make you say 'hey, what a coincidence.' It's not like the film is themed around fate or the self-awareness of the universe or anything, it's all totally meaningless B-thriller schlock, things the most unambitious writer could string together without half so much blatant contrivance, but apparently this Semi Chellas person thinks stuff like that is cute. I will say though, the out-of-place split-screen effects paved the way for 'The Tracey Fragments,' which pretty much absolves this film completely. I'd mention it's all set in Toronto locations instantly recognizeable to long-time residents, but the film makes these places look so cold, gritty and unfriendly, it wasn't exactly a nostalgia trip. It just reinforces the fact that no one can seem to make a good film that's set here.
½ March 1, 2009
LOVE this movie... Great acting, great setting (canada bitches!)...I don't need to say anything else except, GO see it!!
February 1, 2009
Although not a great movie but still i like it as i it had Gina Gershon playing a main roll!

D
½ January 14, 2009
A great cast Juliette Lewis, Gina Gershon, Mickey Rourke. But the main problem for me with this was that Mickey Rourke ( looking cool in shades with lank blonde hair, chewing on a toothpick in a cafe scene ) gets garotted by Gershon and is out of the picture before it's 15 minutes in.
The plot after that is a pot boiler with Juliette unconvincing as a French woman searching for her artist boyfriend in Montreal and getting mixed up with some low lifes. Director Bruce Macdonald throws in frequent split screen effects for no reason.
½ July 31, 2008
A great cast is what drew me to see this neo-noir by Toronto's Bruce McDonald. This is easily my favourite McDonald film, although that's not saying much.
February 7, 2008
that wat i talkin bout !!!!
½ September 1, 2007
An above average neo-noir that I'm probably being more generous to than I should because it's Canadian. Juliette Lewis' French accent got annoying fairly quickly, but her performance was still quite good. Gina Gershon looks great and does her usual decent acting job. On the negative side, Callum Keith Rennie was a bit irritating with his sub-Christopher Walken performance, and Bruce McDonald's direction was a bit too show-offy at times.

Overall, recommended.
August 13, 2007
quirky.. excellent cinematography.. kinda sexy.. love it!