Ping Pong Playa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ping Pong Playa Reviews

February 13, 2016
This movie is hilarious! It's low budget, but has amazing directing. Not only that, It is full of humor and situations that are relatable within a Chinese family. I've seen it at least 4 times and could keep watching it especially with new audiences.
½ October 28, 2015
With open expectations, it's a great movie.
August 29, 2015
52% from audience??!! What's wrong with people? Theyre probably fans of Adam Sandler's latest. Why isn't Jimmy Tsai acting more or a huge star? He was awesome! Funny, lovable, decent to good acting. I want to buy several copies of the DVD and donate them to assorted libraries. Seriously, watch it. A great feel-good movie if there ever was one, at least headed by a Chinese American actor/producer.
July 17, 2015
There are so many good movies, like this one, which remain hidden in plain sight.
I was doing a search on movies deriving humor from racism after watching Ted-2 when I stumbled upon this one. And I must say that the late night awakening to watch it and being late for work the next day was all worth it !!

A matter-of-fact, light-hearted movie which eschews undue bawdiness and just does what it is meant to- make people laugh. Excellent acting by all especially the keep-it-real, pro-feminist role by Smith Cho.

I suggest there should be a sequel to this one. Look, if Rocky can come out of retirement five times and Zoolander can be revived, I'm damn sure 'C-dub' can coach a second time too...
I'm gonna watch it again after a few months or maybe an year... Comforting, entertaining cinema...
½ June 22, 2015
PPP is shooting for Napoleon-Dynamite-style quirky, but instead is mostly just hitting the stupid, made with more well-intentioned heart than actual skill. It's not completely unfunny, but Tsai in the lead role is a bit too irritating to follow for 96 mins.
½ June 19, 2015
Enjoyably stupid Netflix movie
½ January 17, 2015
Familiar plot but really funny cast and twists.
September 29, 2014
I thought it was weird in the trailers that a Chinese actor was talking gangster, which got me worried that it might not be funny. But after seeing Ping Pong Playa, he really won me over. He's really funny and can come up with some nice smack talk. The movie is also really funny. There might be some moments where people might shake their heads which I did, but for me, I was also smiling while shaking my head. It might be formulaic, but it does focus on the humor, and the ping pong action, which is great. It has charm, and it's a great film.
½ April 30, 2014
if you make it through this movie you must be part demi god
November 21, 2013
The portrayal of a Chinese American acting out as an African American is one of the funniest things you may see on screen. The actors throw there small bodies into the roles with gusto allowing the laughter to flow freely. Photography and lighting are rather bland giving an amateurish TV feel, however, the story and actors carry the entertainment well. Nibbles: Doufulu, rice congee.
September 8, 2013
A funny, enjoyable comedy that doesn't take too many risks, but still ends up being entertaining, despite somewhat following a formula. Also, Jimmy Tsai puts up a silly yet funny performance that works just right.
July 27, 2013
I wish they showed this movie on Disney Channel when I was growing up as an Asian American.
March 12, 2013
A funny comedy about ping pong. There have been a few other films about ping pong and such but this is probably the best. The main character Christopher Wang is that typical asian guy that acts black and gets very annoying. Don't be shocked if you get annoyed by him, like I did. The funny thing is I know people that are actually like him. This had it's moments that kept you sucked in. I felt the whole beginning was good and kept me interested, yet the middle went a little down hill and the end was just predictable but basically every sports movie is. It was funny to see they kept bleeping out the words using basketball noises and such. The acting wasn't terrible but it was just annoying seeing the main character act like such a tool when usually those are the guys you hate in the movie. It was funny and a pretty good comedy, not the best sports comedy but still good enough for a watch.
March 10, 2013
Have a sterotypes laugh.
January 28, 2013
This movie is sooo funny
½ January 20, 2013
Kinda funny? The film just seems so much older than its release date. The humor reminds of 3 Ninjas, haha!
December 18, 2012
a fun, silly asian american film
October 28, 2012
Predictable slacker-stepping-up story from a Chinese-American perspective. The best part of the movies were the little kids, especially Felix. And PING PONG!

2008 Movies: 116
October 2, 2012
Decent movie, has some moments. It's worth a watch.
July 20, 2012
Too funny! I couldn't stop laughing!