Pinjar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pinjar Reviews

January 16, 2008
its based on true story of women who has face lots of difficulties only becoz she is a girl ,its really a nice movie .urmila did a wonderful job
December 8, 2007
Based during the Indo-Pak partition, this film rises above the cliched bloodshed and Hindu-Muslim communal tension. It highlights the complexity in relationships and the basic goodness of human beings that5 is brought to the fore during such a situation. Brilliant performances, thought provoking script and beautiful; cinematography....it's good. It deserves the respect give to t by the National Award
½ November 24, 2007
Must watch Hindi movie regarding tension furing partition. Good acting what Hindi films are capable of being.
½ November 15, 2007
a genuinely wonderful movie. a perfectly enacted film!! applaud!
October 30, 2007
Bollywood puts out so many movies that they forget what half of them are about.
October 23, 2007
Urmila delivers a mind blowing performance, for me her best ever movie.
October 23, 2007
I never had rated Urmila as an actress, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. I'm glad to see a film depicting the harsh realtiy of the partition and what the women went through with the exaggeration that often comes with these kind of films. Often in Indo-Pak theme films either side is the bad guy and histirical facts are thrown out of the window. It could have done without the songs as well (mainly because I can't remember a single one) as the story itself was so powerful. Definatly worth watching.
½ September 11, 2007
This emotionally charged story depicts the harsh reality of the partition of India. Urmila Matondkar certainly deserves a mention for her poignant portrayal of someone who ultimately becomes torn between the Hindus and Pakistanis. This is a must see epic and if you haven't yet seen a Hindi film I recommend Pinjar.
September 6, 2007
Got this one from the library, too!
September 4, 2007
If you only see one Hindi film in your life, Pinjar is an excellent candidate to be that film. Urmila shines in the female lead and Manoj Bajpai may have turned in his best work to date opposite her. Poignant and by all accounts historically accurate, this is must-see cinema.
½ August 27, 2007
One of the best hindi period movies ever, and sadly it went totally unnoticed
½ August 23, 2007
Probably one of the best movies that revolve around Indo-Pak partition theme. Although Urmila did a good job, I felt like she could've done more. I felt that movie was unbiased and presented stories of both sides. The songs weren't catchy but were situational and cute. In essence, a very good movie that everybody should watch.
August 19, 2007
Definately worth the four hours it takes to watch! Lovely Colorful dancing, Great charactors, great story.
August 13, 2007
This is a very good, serious drama. Urmila and Manoj's acting was excellent. A little too many songs, but they fitted in with the story and were all very colourful.
July 27, 2007
Very true and sad. This is no piece of fiction...this stuff really happened...my mom and grandmother know some people who have had to go through the same hardships as shown in the movie. Urmila did really well....man, she looks like a complete Punjabban. The movie made my cry and makes me really want to go back in history and change the way were being treated and even today, the society deals with women. Definitely recommend this movie!
June 23, 2007
Amrita Pritam Singh's novel comes to life ... The tortured daughters of Punjab ... Manoj as Rashid is so calming ... good movie for those who don't understand the partition ...
June 22, 2007
One of my favorite movies surrounding the partition of India and Pakistan.
½ June 13, 2007
One of my favorite movies of all time. Very well done. Excellent story.
½ June 13, 2007
Best Indo/Pak partition drama ever.
Excellent book & equally well executed picture.
Urmila gave her career's best performance and wasn't even nominated :( !
June 9, 2007
an Indian drama/war...
beautiful, but who would stay around 3 hrs to watch an indian movie!