Pink Panther 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pink Panther 2 Reviews

November 1, 2014
It can be difficult for a sequel to exceed the original, even one as poor as The Pink Panther (2006). With this one, it is a hard call. I suppose it is perhaps slightly less dreadful?
September 27, 2014
Pink Panther 2 is one of those movies that I can not sit through. Not because it's gross or violent, no the movie is so bad and so unfunny; I can't sit through it.
September 27, 2014
The cast is too good for this material, which amounts to little more than a sequence of stale slapstick routines.
½ September 21, 2014
Martin performed the same in the least-percentage sequel that's mostly sillier but some ways better than its same-leveled predecessor. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ September 7, 2014
Even worse than the first remake, this time they not only repeated the jokes from the first film, but they also relied on cheap slapsticks and racial stereotypes to fuel the dying flame. I had nothing but contempt for this film, completely unnecessary and should've joined the alliance of Z movies.
May 21, 2014
Steve Martin proves that he is still the king of comedy.
½ April 21, 2014
A tiresome film in which John Cleese's talents are wasted and Steve Martin's only effective gag involves juggling wine bottles. Not the worst sequel ever made, but most certainly a pointless one.
March 24, 2014
True, we didn't need this movie, but the slapstick for me was hysterical.
March 16, 2014
I rate movies much differently in this economic day and age. I would have graded this a 2 star if I paid to see this in the theaters, since I rented it my expectation were lowered and was able to enjoy many of the funny moments in this movie. I am unsure why there were some bad write ups. If you liked the 1st then watch the 2nd. The one's who wrote it's as bad as the 1st, makes me wonder what they thought they would do differently in pink panther 2. We're they expecting Jackie Chan as the inspector? This is a light and funny movie for teen.and up. Maybe younger but that is the parents choice on that.
½ March 9, 2014
An easily forgettable and rather uninspired sequel, Pink Panther 2 fails to deliver on any level, and instead beats the hell out of its jokes until they are no longer even jokes but rather just stupid sight-gags and silly dialogue.
February 17, 2014
Its funny come on
Its funny come on
February 9, 2014
Funny as all get out got to see this one!
February 8, 2014
one of my favorite movie
January 11, 2014
Watched: 11 Jan 2014
January 6, 2014
This looks really good. I've already seen the first and it was great!
January 4, 2014
i just started using flixster n idunno how to use it
December 6, 2013
Very lame comedy. Disappointing sequel to a decent first movie.
½ November 1, 2013
It's hard to like this film given that it really does waste it's talent cast (the first one was forgivable since it was mainly Martin). It ends up being alright, but disappointing at times.
½ October 18, 2013
Pink Panther 2 (2009)

Rating: 2,5 / 5

Steve Martin is back as Inspector Clouseau and you can bet that means the same lame slapstick we got in the first one. Kids will like it but adults not so much. "Pink Panther 2" begins when a masterful and mysterious thief named the Tornado begins stealing expensive artifacts from around the world, the Government of France assembles a dream team of experts to solve the case before anything else goes missing. Inspector Clouseau, who has been writing parking tickets as per Chief Inspector Dreyfus' orders (the role is now played by John Cleese). As Clouseau leaves France, the Tornado steals the Pink Panther diamond from the museum where it was stored. You might wonder what the diamond is doing there since last we saw it, the jewel was with the previous film's potential love interest/suspect Xania (Beyoncé Knowles, not appearing in this film) but nevermind that! The Dream Team, composed of Great Britain's Inspector Pepperidge (Alfred Molina), Italy's Inspector Vincenzo, (Andy Garcia), Japan's Kenji Mazuto (Yuki Matsuzaki) and Tornado expert Sonia (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) meet Clouseau and his two associates, Jean Reno as Gilbert Ponton and Emily Mortimer as Nicole in France where they proceed to gather clues in the hopes of tracking down the Tornado.

Even though a significant amount of time has passed in-universe, the characters haven't evolved at all and neither has the level of humor. For the kids, that's great. I'm sure they'll laugh at the mispronunciation of "hambuger" at the hands of Clouseau again. It's more of the same buffoonish behavior that confirms that in real life, Clouseau would be too dumb to live. The thing that's kind of distressing though is that there's a surprisingly lot of humor revolving around sex in the movie. No there's nothing explicitly said and certainly no nudity but I'm not sure why the decision was made to include so many off-hand references to whether or not Nicole and Vincenzo are physically intimate or not. If these were jokes to entertain the parents who are watching the film with their kids, that was a bad call. Many of the comedic moments are very predictable or just go on for so long that they stop being funny. As soon as Clouseau starts talking to the Pope and asks to look inside the wardrobe you know two things: A) he isn't going to solve anything because he's a fool and B) he's going to end up wearing the Pope's clothes so we can have a goofy scene where people confuse the Inspector's bumbling behavior for his holiness being either in trouble or acting incredibly strange. Going back to that joke about the word hamburger being mispronounced again, that joke must have ranked high in the first movie because it's done many times here, including a long scene where all Clouseau does is mess up word after word. Not funny the first time, not funny again.

From the point of a who-done-it, the movie deliberately gives the characters vague dialogue so that you have a harder time deciphering who the Tornado is. It's the equivalent of someone shouting "Oh, it's you!" before being shot instead of "Hey Allan, how's it going?" (a device that was used in the first film by the way). To give credit where credit is due though, the riddle of the Tornado is an improvement over the mystery in the first film. You can at least theoretically piece together some of the clues found throughout and solve the mystery this but that's where the improvements have stopped. Despite the fact that Clouseau and Nicole clearly had a relationship that was beginning to blossom at the end of the first movie they're basically back to zero again here and Ponton has apparently forgotten that despite Clouseau's ultimately correct powers of deduction, he was still a bumbling karate wannabee that really needed help.

It feels weird to say this, but this is actually a step backwards for the franchise. I didn't want to dislike the movie and I can't say I really did, but after seeing it I'm left so indifferent that all I can say is that the movie's harmless so if your kids want to see it, fine, let them see it. I can't recommend it for anyone over say 14 though and don't encourage you to actually go out of your way to watch the movie because it just isn't a smart comedy or mystery (so if the kids spot it playing on TV, go ahead?). It goes for the obvious jokes too often and as an adult you'll get frustrated and bored. (Theatrical version on Dvd, Oct 1, 2013)
October 8, 2013
Still spitting on the heritage of the original movies.