Pink Panther 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pink Panther 2 Reviews

January 4, 2014
i just started using flixster n idunno how to use it
December 6, 2013
Very lame comedy. Disappointing sequel to a decent first movie.
½ November 1, 2013
It's hard to like this film given that it really does waste it's talent cast (the first one was forgivable since it was mainly Martin). It ends up being alright, but disappointing at times.
½ October 18, 2013
Pink Panther 2 (2009)

Rating: 2,5 / 5

Steve Martin is back as Inspector Clouseau and you can bet that means the same lame slapstick we got in the first one. Kids will like it but adults not so much. "Pink Panther 2" begins when a masterful and mysterious thief named the Tornado begins stealing expensive artifacts from around the world, the Government of France assembles a dream team of experts to solve the case before anything else goes missing. Inspector Clouseau, who has been writing parking tickets as per Chief Inspector Dreyfus' orders (the role is now played by John Cleese). As Clouseau leaves France, the Tornado steals the Pink Panther diamond from the museum where it was stored. You might wonder what the diamond is doing there since last we saw it, the jewel was with the previous film's potential love interest/suspect Xania (Beyoncé Knowles, not appearing in this film) but nevermind that! The Dream Team, composed of Great Britain's Inspector Pepperidge (Alfred Molina), Italy's Inspector Vincenzo, (Andy Garcia), Japan's Kenji Mazuto (Yuki Matsuzaki) and Tornado expert Sonia (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) meet Clouseau and his two associates, Jean Reno as Gilbert Ponton and Emily Mortimer as Nicole in France where they proceed to gather clues in the hopes of tracking down the Tornado.

Even though a significant amount of time has passed in-universe, the characters haven't evolved at all and neither has the level of humor. For the kids, that's great. I'm sure they'll laugh at the mispronunciation of "hambuger" at the hands of Clouseau again. It's more of the same buffoonish behavior that confirms that in real life, Clouseau would be too dumb to live. The thing that's kind of distressing though is that there's a surprisingly lot of humor revolving around sex in the movie. No there's nothing explicitly said and certainly no nudity but I'm not sure why the decision was made to include so many off-hand references to whether or not Nicole and Vincenzo are physically intimate or not. If these were jokes to entertain the parents who are watching the film with their kids, that was a bad call. Many of the comedic moments are very predictable or just go on for so long that they stop being funny. As soon as Clouseau starts talking to the Pope and asks to look inside the wardrobe you know two things: A) he isn't going to solve anything because he's a fool and B) he's going to end up wearing the Pope's clothes so we can have a goofy scene where people confuse the Inspector's bumbling behavior for his holiness being either in trouble or acting incredibly strange. Going back to that joke about the word hamburger being mispronounced again, that joke must have ranked high in the first movie because it's done many times here, including a long scene where all Clouseau does is mess up word after word. Not funny the first time, not funny again.

From the point of a who-done-it, the movie deliberately gives the characters vague dialogue so that you have a harder time deciphering who the Tornado is. It's the equivalent of someone shouting "Oh, it's you!" before being shot instead of "Hey Allan, how's it going?" (a device that was used in the first film by the way). To give credit where credit is due though, the riddle of the Tornado is an improvement over the mystery in the first film. You can at least theoretically piece together some of the clues found throughout and solve the mystery this but that's where the improvements have stopped. Despite the fact that Clouseau and Nicole clearly had a relationship that was beginning to blossom at the end of the first movie they're basically back to zero again here and Ponton has apparently forgotten that despite Clouseau's ultimately correct powers of deduction, he was still a bumbling karate wannabee that really needed help.

It feels weird to say this, but this is actually a step backwards for the franchise. I didn't want to dislike the movie and I can't say I really did, but after seeing it I'm left so indifferent that all I can say is that the movie's harmless so if your kids want to see it, fine, let them see it. I can't recommend it for anyone over say 14 though and don't encourage you to actually go out of your way to watch the movie because it just isn't a smart comedy or mystery (so if the kids spot it playing on TV, go ahead?). It goes for the obvious jokes too often and as an adult you'll get frustrated and bored. (Theatrical version on Dvd, Oct 1, 2013)
October 8, 2013
Still spitting on the heritage of the original movies.
October 1, 2013
I own this on DVD in an eight movie pack along with:
* The Pink Panther (1963)
* A Shot In The dark (1964)
* The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
* The Revenge Of The Pink Panther (1978)
* Trail Of The Pink Panther (1982)
* Curse Of The Pink Panther (1983)
* The Pink Panther (2006)
September 7, 2013
A SEQUEL THAT SHOULD NOT BE GREEN LIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
August 28, 2013
It's awesome the film
July 29, 2013
I really do miss the Steve Martin of the Little Shop of Horrors and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

This film is the official nose dive for me. The point where I have just had enough of these Cheaper By the Dozens and Pink Panthers. I want something dark- or maybe something that's plain and simply funny from Steve Martin.

Also, the question has to be asked to who this film is made for. You'd think this to be a family film- but stick this in front of them and they will be bored to death. For adults, there is no charm or warmth to it.

A definition of this would be many random gags, unrelated to each other, attempted to be woven into some kind of plot. I actually felt a little embarassed watching the film.

It seemed like everyone was simply there because it says they have to be in some kind of contract. Everyone seemed tired and, once again, embarassed.

To be honest though, with a family film or comedy, the story isn't the most important part. As long as it's funny then it really doesn't matter- 'This is the End' is a great example of this, although a slightly different context. The difference is that this film really isn't funny at all.

It worked for the originals, as it was a different time. And it holds up today, as you almost watch it in a different mind set- a feeling of nostalgia fills the screen. When the remake was released, it was exceedingly mediocre, and just felt utterly pointless.

If the first film felt pointless- this felt like I was being exploited. 'The first one was bad, but people will come to see a family film whatever it is. Hey you, Generic Joe, can you write a script due in tomorrow... You can! Well don't worry about the quality, the people who watch these films must be idiots.'

This film will make you feel like an idiot, but if you do like seeing the low points of some of your favourite actors, then you can see this.

A 90 minute film that seems to last for 120.

If you want to laugh at a film. Don't watch this. If you want to feel smart, and look down on something.

This is for you!
July 27, 2013
I can wait for this one to come out on TBS or something...
July 12, 2013
This was painful. All i wanted in the theater was for it to end.
July 8, 2013
I like the Pink Panther, I like Steve Martin, and I like slap-stick comedy. Honestly the plot was a tad dry, but who watches a Pink Panther movie for its plot?
½ June 26, 2013
Inspector Clouseau is on the case once again in The Pink Panther 2. When a notorious thief known as The Tornado comes out of retirement a crack team of Europe's top investigators is assembled to catch him, with Inspector Clouseau leading the charge. Steve Martin, Jean Reno, and Emily Mortimer return, and are joined by Andy Garcia, John Cleese, and Alfred Molina. The slapstick comedy is way overdone, and there's no subtlety to it. Still, some of the ridiculousness is just too funny. The Pink Panther 2 isn't as good as the first film, but it delivers plenty of laughs.
June 22, 2013
some movies just should have scequel..
June 21, 2013
I want a hamburger lol love that saying
June 16, 2013
Can't wait he'll be miles better than Sellers!
½ June 5, 2013
The cast of the last film is back with new members ... in a movie that has no plot, no point or worst no so fun.
May 28, 2013
This movie truly makes me LOL
½ May 22, 2013
A great cast, a lot of action, no injury time, so many physical gags and good jokes, some beautiful sets and places, make it be an excellent movie. Sadly a bit short, considering all this.

It's great how they succeed to create a character in the same time so dumb, idiot, but also very intelligent, very intuitive detective. And the worst is that it's totally credible.

Lovely music that we all know by heart, and it was good to see also the toon at the end of the movie, and during the beginning's credits also.

Way better, funnier, well written than the 1st movie.
May 3, 2013
I've seen worse comedies.