Pioneer Reviews

• May 30, 2019

Pioneer: An excellent drama/mystery/thriller with rich attention to detail, camera movement and commentary- all excelled by excellent preformances from its talaneted cast especially Stephen Lang and Askel Hennie.

• Oct 20, 2017

The ultimate adventure becomes a nightmare when a diver obsessed with reaching the bottom of the sea takes on the world's most dangerous mission.

• Nov 22, 2016

The film does a fair job of introducing suspicion and danger as corporate interest usurps all in the North Sea oil race, but it arguably could have been better.

• Jul 03, 2016

Descent movie as i can remember from 5 days ago

Descent movie as i can remember from 5 days ago

• Jun 05, 2016

Conspiracy story from the early Norwegian oil-adventure. Enormous money at stake, foul play in motion. Young divers pushed to the edge and beyond of what a human can manage in order to dive into the abyss.

• Dec 17, 2015

A very well made psychological thriller

A very well made psychological thriller

• Jul 01, 2015

Decent story, plot, locations, and cast- just kinda felt it didnt really resolve anything that was setup nor did it produce any results in the process.

• Apr 20, 2015

Though some might find it slow, #Pioneer uses its powerful lead performance and darkly tense tone to tell a brilliant psychological thriller.

• Christian C Super Reviewer
    Mar 28, 2015

Despite Lang and Bentley being in the film, be forewarned -- the film is at least 75% in Norwegian with English language lines thrown in for atmosphere. This is not even close to Bentley's best work, although he's not really given an opportunity to shine. The acting is a bit above average, but nothing is noteworthy. The premise of the film should have spawned a more suspenseful story, and it likely would have in the hands of a different director. As it is, the film is only marginally more exciting than a slow-burn LeCarre film. The film's good, but its potential has been squandered.

• Dec 29, 2014

Fabulous film. Twisty, Hitchcockian thriller had me on the edge of my seat. I even stood up spontaneously to applaud at the ending. Other reviews say it was slow, but the first act was largely underwater, where everything moves slowly. The film-makers made excellent use of low-tech special effects in the remaining acts to allow the viewer to experience the inside of a diver-undergoing-decompression-sickness's head. The American scientists were not portrayed sympathetically at all, so I believe that may have skewed the rating system here on RT, which is an American website. This story, inspired by real events, is hugely important, especially as our lives and our global economies are affected more and more by international corporate conglomerates. I highly recommend this great film. Five stars.