Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) Reviews

July 6, 2015
This film is not intended to be historical - it is not about Radio Caroline. It is nothing but a sit-com on a boat with a Sixties sound-track. It is a critique of censorship, it has that much going for it, although its criticism of British radio for not having pop music does sort of ignore the vinyl record market. In fact, thinking back, I remember hearing a lot of pop music on the radio in the mid Sixties (I'm pretty sure my parents never played Caroline!). Instead of Curtis's trademark romance we have bedroom farce inferior to any of the bedroom farces that were made in the Sixties. Tony Benn under Harold Wilson put an end to pirate radio. And again, if you want history, most the of the Caroline DJs then went over to radio 1. This film has (for laughs) Kenneth Branagh playing the man responsible as though he were Anthony Eden's most uptight minister (the stick up his arse has got a stick up its arse). Bizarrely the ending is very impressive and makes Titanic look like Carry on Sailing, which makes me almost weep for what the film could have been if Curtis's talent hadn't died with Captain Edmund Blackadder. But Curtis's comedy and romance have been, to me, lamer than Stephen Hawking since I saw 4 Weddings in 1994. If you think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, then you'll probably love this movie.
½ June 20, 2015
quite enjoyed it, makes some interesting points about what was really happening at the time and many of the scenes were based on true story so you get a flavour of the times even if it is just a made up plot.. Suprising many kept going till the 90's as their influence had waned in the 70's and pirate stations had taken to being mobile on land. It's mis titled as a comedy, it has little in that respect but some scenes can make you smile if not laugh. drama , musical, romance, not really any of those either more a period piece to give a flavour of being young if you were not around in those times.
June 7, 2015
za site rokerishta :)

May 16, 2015
Lets just say I was curious; I browse iTunes from time to time for 60s tunes that time may have forgotten, like featured songs by The Kinks (All Day and All of the Night) or John Fred & His Playboy Band (Judy in Disguise with Glasses). Well time seems to have forgotten this films story, which came as a complete (and pleasant) surprise. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman - is one of the great character actors of today and his role here is akin to his role as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Rhys Ifans and Bill Nighy should find their equivalent to the Coen Brothers in Britain because they are a riot in a quirky and understated way. The film had great one-liners, but became confusing and hard to follow near the end. Also, I did not care for the nearly 2 hour investment. Pirate Radio is a good story with music to die for (hint), just not 2 hours worth.
May 12, 2015
yes....definitely going to see this.
March 31, 2015
I kinda see this as a companion piece to the earlier British comedy 'Still Crazy', or they could exist in same universe at least. As for the title I think the US version is much better really, the original UK title is a bit of a mouth full, mind you other Euro versions are quite radical also. In France its called 'Good Morning England' which is quite the rip-off frankly, in Germany its 'Radio Rock Revolution' and in Italy its 'I Love Radio Rock'. So all in all this movie has the most title changes ever it seems...all of which are actually better than the original UK one I think.

The quaint little story here is straight forward, back in the 60's rock and pop was frowned upon by the stale old crusty stiff upper lipped British government. A government that is still clearly set in the 50's and wasn't ready or willing to accept the free flowing hippie movement and its drastic changes. During this time pirate radio stations were set up to play tunage that was considered not cricket, but to avoid British law these musical rebels set up shop in the North Sea away from land-set restrictions and out of reach. Although inspired by real pirate radio stations of the time this fictional story sees a group of ragtag DJ's on a rusty old trawler blasting the UK with dangerous rock n roll. At the same time the dastardly Kenneth Branagh and his sidekick are trying their upmost to shut them down.

The plot is actually quite similar to 'Still Crazy' with the basic premise of a young man joining a group of older men to go on a wild immature adventure of sorts. In 'Still Crazy' a young man joins the band, here a young man joins the radio crew, both films focusing on all of the characters giving us multiple subplots. As you can imagine all of these little character driven stories revolve around the simple issues of sex, booze, relationships, having a good time and battling against the establishment. Each character has their own little quirk that is pretty predictable and highly cliched in a typically rude crass British kind of way, nothing wrong with that of course, you expect it right from the start but its seen in virtually every British comedy.

Apparently you simply cannot make a British comedy without Bill Nighy and here he plays the same type of rigid character yet again. Rhys Ifans plays another slimy creepy generally unlikable character, Nick Frost plays...errr...the fat bloke...again, and then pad out the rest with various familiar faces which most Brits will recognise in some form or another but everyone else won't. The only real breath of fresh air in this cast is Hoffman as the rebellious brash US DJ which gives the film a sense of 'Good Morning Vietnam' vs traditional British toilet humour...at times.

The establishment that is trying to ruin everyone's fun is played in its entirety by Kenneth Branagh, a strict headmaster-esque government minister who thinks rock n roll is corrupting young minds. His sidekick played by Jack Davenport is surprisingly not a half wit as you might expect but a clever devious subordinate who digs up legal loopholes. Together these two make a reasonably fun pair of bad guys (not really bad of course) and do offer most of the entertainment character wise. Sure it might have been cliched to make them a bumbling pair of Laurel and Hardy types but maybe that might have worked in the films favour? None the less Branagh plays the sniveling jobsworth suit to a tee with his grovelling to the Prime Minister. Alas they did let everything down by naming Davenport's character Twatt...a totally lame and unfunny gag that seems rather childish, they couldn't think of anything better than that?!

By now I'm sure most of you must know what to expect with a comedy like this, all the usual Brit gags visual or otherwise, like I said its the same spiel in all UK comedy flicks (with almost the same cast). Being based on pirate radio of course this means the sexual innuendo gags are through the roof! add to that lots of frat house-like tomfoolery, soppy lovin' and a brief spot of nudity. What can I say, its silly and infantile but its still a good, warm-hearted relaxing flick with a solid soundtrack and a surprisingly semi-emotional finale. Its just not as funny as you'd like it to be.
March 20, 2015
????? ????? ????????????.
½ March 10, 2015
Nice period-piece, semi-documentary, hilarious musical nostalgia.
February 9, 2015
Joyful, funny and with a doubt great casting !

If you want a feel good film with some good old classic rock and roll then look no further!
February 6, 2015
This is a pretty fun movie with a really likable cast and an excellent soundtrack. I don't think this film really managed to be anything more than a crowd-pleaser, but then again I don't think it was intended to be anything more than that to be perfectly honest. While the movie does have a narrative of the DJs doing their best to avoid the government shutting them down, it honestly feels more like a series of sketches, however entertaining they may be, than a full-fledged narrative. For the most part, the DJs have their own little side stuff going on but it never really affects the overall arc of the film's main narrative. It's just something to add a little flavor and color to the film's characters. And I understand that, but it feels, ironically enough, shallow. While I ended up liking all of the characters, even Kenneth Branagh's character, who had some of the funniest lines in the entire film, I was never really emotionally invested in them. Again, not that this was the film's intention. I don't want to say that they do the bare minimum as it relates to character development, but they really mostly on their talented actors to carry things as opposed to writing out fleshed-out characters with distinct personalities. They rely on the talented actors and a soundtrack in order to distract you from its flaws. It's misdirection really, putting your attention elsewhere so you don't focus on the real issues. I don't wanna sound like I'm shitting on this movie, because I genuinely had a fun time with it, but I think that the movie, ironically enough, ran out of stream before before it was over. No reason this had to be as long as it was. Maybe 105 minutes would've been good. Keep the film moving at a brisk pace. This isn't a big issue since the movie didn't feel long at all, it just didn't need to be close to two hours. There's just simply not enough material to justify it. But, again, the cast and the soundtrack does a good enough job at distracting you from that. This is a fun movie though, it was meant to be a good time and I definitely enjoyed myself whilst watching it. Something to watch, enjoy, smile, and move on to the next film. Perhaps the thing about this film, that's something that I've known for years, is how it does a great job at showcasing how important music really is for humanity as a whole. The world would be a whole lot sadder without music in it. I love film as an art form, trust me on this one, but I think music, in some ways, is far more essential to our daily lives than even films are. Music, in one way or another, is all around us. It's something that can make us happy in an instant. Some songs more than others of course. I think that's really the best thing about this film, even if it's something I've already known for a long time. This film is a fun little distraction. Flaws aplenty, but there's more than enough about this film that's good. Solid rental here...or it's worth a buy if you find it cheap, which I did.
January 25, 2015
Excellent soundtrack and hilarious!
½ January 6, 2015
Well, what can one say about this movie...

I'm probably gonna sound very biased. but anyway i find to be awesome. It's just a feel good movie. One of the few ones that can really leave you with a smile on your face at the end of them and a genuinely more positive point of view on life as a whole :)

The cast is simply amazing, Kenneth Branagh for instance does a splendid job of being an onboxious official.

The dry british humor is music to the ears of anyone who enjoys that type of humor in particular :)

And most of the reason why i think my opinion is biased is that the film is shaped around the wondrous music of the sixties.

So factor in all i've said and decide for yourselves if this movie's worth a shot. I really think it is though ;)
January 3, 2015
This includes and extra star for the soundtrack.
January 1, 2015
The boat that rocked is not your ordinary type of movies or atleast not for me but its a very solid one. The story follows a boat in the North Sea back in the 60's and onboard there is a cool illegal radio station. The whole movie follows these funny and different characters playing classic Pop / Rock music and they loves to tease the government. There is a brilliant cast like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Bill Nighy and they makes it worth seeing only for some nice performances as always. I enjoyed this movie altho its a slowpaced movie and its not great all the time but all in all its a comedy / drama you should watch especially if you like Rock'n'roll from the 60's.
December 29, 2014
Minus a handful of slow moments, Pirate Radio is damn funny and even a tad inspirational. This movie rocks almost as hard as the boat.
½ December 27, 2014
It's a good comedy, not a great movie, but some very honest laughs in this one.
½ November 24, 2014
Cheeky Cat & Mouse Comedy. Not Laugh A Minute But It Certainly Passed The Time Quite Nicely On A Rainy Sunday Afternoon.
November 22, 2014
Ok. It's a bit cheesy, but cute. And Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance is worth watching over and over because, well, he was a real genius. RIP.
November 2, 2014
Enjoyed it so much more second time! Soundtrack excellent
November 2, 2014
film ceste koja nema kraja :)