Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

½ July 9, 2016
It is the 3rd best of the films, and provides good fun.
July 7, 2016
guauuuuu, great.. I WANT TO SEE IT
June 27, 2016
I like the 1st and 2nd movie but this movie was extremely confusing and I didn't like it at all
June 26, 2016
*Spoilers below!*
Let me preface by saying Curse of the Black Pearl will always be my favorite Pirates and I didn't much enjoy Dead Man's Chest but At World's End fits nicely between the two as far as ranking goes. The most visually stunning moments were the snow and ice, the stars and Shipwreck Cove.  They looked so real I thought I was there.  There were many laugh out loud moments including Pintel's pronunciation of macabre as "macabree."  However, if you asked me to name the star I'd easily say Jack the Monkey stole the show.  Counting favorite moments again would be the phallic hand telescopes.  I burst out in laughter both times.  The "Up Is Down" sequence was beyond amazing though totally unrealistic.  (Heck is anything realistic in this film?)  For a brief moment you get to set Davy Jones's true form and that was quite cool.  Calypso, who could have been quite spectacular, was given an extremely limited screen time almost as if she was thrown in as an afterthought.  And though Keith Richards only graces the screen for mere moments his performance was memorable.  But wait! Pirates wouldn't dare leave out its trademark mandatory over-the-top sword fight!  And it doesn't.  And it's silly.  Plus, remember the two guards Jack sneaks past on the docks to commandeer the Interceptor?  Well, they pop up in a quite humorous moment in the end.  Watch for it. Can I end by saying, I think Orlando Bloom is gorgeous but his good looks are often ignored by the drooling Depp fangirls.  No longer!  As Captain Turner (at the very end) Will lets his locks hang loose and sports the trendy pirate bandana.  And I think I drooled right into my popcorn.  I am glad filmmakers didn't make the stupid mistake of putting Jack and Liz together.  The movie ends set up for a fourth despite the fact that some actors said no more.  I hope we will see more Pirates.  It's a franchise I wouldn't mind seeing pop up again and again.

My final word is see this film.  It cleans up the mess the second film left behind.
June 13, 2016
There are so many threads and little things we have to keep an eye on that it makes the movie so complex that I almost forget that it is still fun to watch at times. If a movie does that to you it's not exactly great.

C+
½ June 12, 2016
A Great Movie, Plus Its A 3rd nice job
½ June 12, 2016
Fairly good. Nothing compares to the first two.
June 8, 2016
My favourite NON-MARVEL movie of all time!!
June 2, 2016
Pirates of the Caribbean at worlds end. So this is the third chapter of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Once again starring Johnny Depp and the original cast of the first movie, and the return of Geoffrey Rush, as the great captain he is. And I do have to say this is the best Davy Jones performance I have ever seen in the last one. Why is that he is showing more of his deep feelings of Calypso, and why he became the captain of the Flying Dutchman. As for some scenes they are very humorous and a lot of dark and Graham moments as well. I love my complaints of the film they are have to be none because the cinematography is breathtaking, The actors are giving their 100% of the movie, but sadly if it came to why that the Pirates needed a war. There were thousands of pirate ships ready for war for the British brigade, and yet one shit only fight during that whole war, and that was the black pearl. But the fighting between the Flying Dutchman in the black pearl were very amusing, I just felt that it was very pointless for having all these Pirates ready to go to war and they just sat there like sitting ducks. Every time I look at that scene I am very upset by the way they went that route. But, The movie is still good. Always wanted to see that if that battle scene it's self had a directors cut in so I can see that it was not pointless having a huge speech from Captain Swan for freaking telling everybody that we are pirates and we're not afraid. Sadly disappointed very disappointed. But it is a guilty pleasure of mine that I really like this film more than the second one, and even the first too.

The plot is ? well, your guess is as good as ours. There?s much sailing to and fro; something about a magical navigation chart, presumably to match Jack?s magical compass; lots of crosses, double-crosses, triple-crosses and so-many-crosses-it?s-basically-a-porcupine; and mini story arcs for even the most minor characters. Is the story confusing and out of place, absolutely!! Do I really care, no not really. This film is still a good time to watch. Again this franchise is not willing to have an Oscar on its plate, it is more of a popcorn fun film. Do I recommend it, yeah. Would be great to see a very smart Pirates of the Caribbean film. Yes!! Fun time.

Grade
8/10
½ May 25, 2016
50% Though still providing good action like its two predecessors, the pzazz is no longer fresh as the amount of unnecessary characters and confusing plots start to get out of hand.
May 15, 2016
PotC: AWE was tired, lame and confusing. It's as if 60 filmmakers came into production meetings with ideas, and they used every SINGLE idea and threw it anywhere in this movie. Sad too, because I liked the first hour. I got it. Then by the third hour, I had counted a literal 15 subplots. On a positive note, the acting was better in this than the 2nd one; the characters weren't just caricatures like in DMC. They were characters again. However, all in all, not a worthy entry. They should have just made one.
May 13, 2016
Love pirates of caribbean movies
½ April 30, 2016
POTC is back to its original form with another great entry into the franchise, with Johnny Depp once again reprising - and perfecting - his role as the beloved Captain Jack Sparrow. Many view this movie as the sequel to Dead Man's Chest, which in many respects it is, however (as is not the case in many movies) it manages to improve upon its predessor.
½ April 24, 2016
A Comparative Look at the Pirates Series - Part 3: At World's End

As we arrive into the third film in the series, things have taken a much stranger turn. Ever more so than the final movie. It is certainly a dispatch from the previous films, where the theme becomes slightly abstract, and plot devices tend to muddle the overall story. The world is changing, and in it, there is no more room for piracy. Under rule of the King of England, the Caribbean islands have begun executing all known pirates, associates of pirates, and even surprisingly... the children of pirates. We enter the film at the gallows and witness hanging after hanging in a strongly dark montage of death. This certainly sets the tone for the remainder of the film. William, Elizabeth align themselves with Captain Hector Barbossa on a mission to find Jack who was 'lost at sea'. It's unknown how much time has passed since we last saw him, but it could be inferred that it is not too long after his meeting with the Kraken (a giant sea squid under the control of Davy Jones). Everyone has lost some part of their hopes, or has betrayed each other at this point and even Davy Jones is under the control of the East India Trading Company.

This is perhaps the only movie where I really criticize the direction in the whole pirates film series. It is such a departure from the previous film, that perhaps it's even stranger than the following movie 'On Stranger Tides'. I thought that although there has always been a sense of the mystic in the Pirates movies, this one gets really abstract and convoluted. I understand that perhaps Gore Verbinsky, was trying to wrap up the original trilogy in this entry, but the writing and characterization really gets lost along the way. Johnny Depp changed the most, not physically mind you, but he really portrays Jack as an insane man. I'm not entirely sure why he's so nuts in this one, I but I think it takes away from the charm that is Captain Jack Sparrow. Other characters have become somewhat dulled, especially Orlando Bloom ask Will. He doesn't seem that interested in what's going on around him, even as he interacts with different people throughout the film, he and Keira Knightly seemed a little lackluster. Bill Nighy remains my favourite character in the series, and really excels as a somewhat deterred yet still delightfully aggressive Davy Jones.

The real shame is the plot, as there are a couple of really big plot holes, especially when it comes to the use of Calypso. I thought that there was a reason she was there in the final battle, and that the pirates had a trump card up their sleeve, but she really didn't serve much of a purpose. In the end she was almost a non-event. If she was always this powerful, why didn't they just use her from the start? Perhaps that simpler idea is what they wanted to avoid, to push the plot along for almost 3 hours, which makes this movie the longest entry in the series.

Overall it's not a bad ending to the original trilogy of films, but definitely the most perplexing and complicated of the series.

2.5/5
April 22, 2016
Another great addition the Pirates franchise!
April 15, 2016
This movie takes the fun and joy out of the first two and flushes it down the toilet.
April 9, 2016
Finally, a Pirates of the Caribbean that can be compared to the first. It may not be as amazing as the first, but definitely worth seeing, especially if you saw the second and thought it didn't live up to it's name.
April 4, 2016
Perfect way to end a beautiful and entertaining trilogy.
March 29, 2016
For better or worse, this is the 2000s-est movie I've ever seen.
½ March 23, 2016
68%
Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow is as interesting a character to watch as ever, but there's a lot to "At World's End" that could have been left on the cutting room floor.

V: 61%