Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

May 28, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

El valor narrativo de esta entrega se ve afectado por diálogos paupérrimos, con secuencias pensadas estrictamente comerciales.
May 28, 2017
Better than I actually remember. Concluding the story from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) this film follows Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) as they attempt to find Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) who after fighting the Kraken in the first film is stuck in Davey Jones (Bill Nighy) locker. Along the way they have to team up with recently resurrected Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) and gain passage to the locker through charts from Captain Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fat). Meanwhile Norrington (Jack Davenport) has been promoted to Admiral and is hot on the trail of the pirates along with Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) who now possesses Davey Jones' heart. The movie easily has the best special effects of all the films (thus the whopping 300 million dollar budget!) and has some really fantastic action sequences. Where the movie falters in my opinion is the whole Calypso story line. First off I like Naomie Harris, but I felt like she wasn't the right person for this role. Not to mention when it's finally revealed that she is the person that broke Davey Jones heart it's kinda random how giant she gets and kinda cheesy. This plus the total serious tone of this film sets it off from the other films. There's some comedic moments of course, but man is this one a dark story it literally opens showing a kid getting hanged. Not to mention everything does get resolved, but man is that one somber ending! Overall, it ends the original trilogy here decently, but it definitely runs a bit too long (almost 3 hours run time) and has so many plot lines that without watching it several times you're bound to miss a few things!
May 27, 2017
Favourite Movies of All Time are as follows....
Anything from the MCU.... STAR WARS.... Or pirates of the caribbean
May 27, 2017
The last in the trilogy, Johnny ends it with a bang!
May 27, 2017
This one is longer and more confusing than the last, but the scenes near the end make the whole ordeal worth it
May 27, 2017
bad..... bad. really long and boring. a huge mess in so many ways, especially story and character motivations. sooooo many questionable and stupid parts that don't make sense and are fun to make fun of. an abhorrent amount of cheesiness and goofiness (first time using that word). so many omg moments. all of the characters are significantly less likable than in previous movies. things i liked: some beautiful shots and good directing, and the action scenes LOOKED amazing, even though most of them were so ridiculous and stupid. some of the acting in this movie is terrible. so many decisions make no sense. and so many scenes go on for 2 or 3 times longer than they should... (about 3 viewings)

SPOILERS

like the crew of jack sparrows. or him talking to his mini selves.... wtf

where do i start. lets see what i can remember. elizabeth swan is a slut who just goes around kissing everyone and can't decide who she likes. oh wait except at the end when she says "you think i loved him," implying that she only felt guilty for getting jack killed. even though they strongly implied in the last movie that she did love him, which is part of the reason i liked the second less than the first, they added a love triangle.

omg omg omg, they wanted barbosa to marry them in the middle of the final battle. wow bro just wow. another thing, after they cut will's heart out so he can become the captain of the flying dutchman, he was immediately in a completely new outfit, mostly black to show is darkness lmao. so much of the story makes no sense. things just happen and you have to go with it. there was an entire armada, thousands of government ships ready to kill the pirates. but the two pirate ships just sail up to the main government ship and kill it without any of the other ships doing anything. "Orders, sir?" let's just die. and then the thousands of other ships are like ok lets just go home. bro. bro.

there are so many more little things. things that are done just for the audience that make NO sense. that are impossible or just ridiculous coincidences. all over the place. the whole calypso story did not impact anything. also how they unleashed her was so stupid, you have to say it as if it's coming from a lover. oh and jack sparrow can grab any rope on the ship and launch himself or even fly or create a parachute. there is so much more. this movie deserves a hilariocity review
May 27, 2017
Do you like simple, easy to follow, fun, adventure movies? Then keep looking, 'cause it ain't here.
½ May 27, 2017
An interesting premise lurks somewhere within this movie that keeps you entertained just enough to keep watching, but it's overshadowed by all of the subplots and convoluted mess of a story as a whole.
½ May 26, 2017
When push comes to shove, the Pirates films are about one thing and one thing only, entertainment. Amidst all of the nonsensical humor and action, I don't know how you wouldn't at least be entertained by what Johnny Depp & company had to offer.

At World's End once again doubles down on everything that made the second film ridiculously fun. Except this time the film is a solid 2 hours and 48 minutes long. I guess if you're going to spend 300 million dollars on a film might as well make it lengthy, right? The length and it's convoluted and wandering plot are sure to annoy some viewers (it certainly annoyed me), but there's more than enough to make this another worthy entry in Disney's bankable series.

After Beckett and the Navy managed to steal Davy Jones' heart and impose a ban on pirates across the seas, Will, Elizabeth, and Barbossa must form an alliance to find Jack Sparrow and come together for one final battle. There's a lot to like here, including some of the best choreographed and shot action of the entire series. Merely analyzing the final 35 minutes was enough to get my blood flowing. This series has never shied away from going all out with action and escapades, and At World's End is no different. I'm not even sure 50 percent of the films made today look half as good as this film does. However, there are always downsides to relying heavily on the spectacle.

As I mentioned with Dead Man's Chest, the spectacle overtook any sort of uniqueness or cleverness to the script that made the first adventure so fresh. Johnny Depp is way past the point of over-the- top, and so is the film. You feel like there's real danger in the first film, but most of that is gone by the supernatural and fantastical elements they bring in here. Nobody expected to see Sparrow sit an entire film out after being eaten by the Kraken last film, but it sure seemed pretty easy to get him back. And when we do get him back, he spends most of his time talking to hallucinated versions of himself that refuse to go away. The plot also tends to always fall back on one member of the crew being either 'missing' or 'captured' by another ship/crew. It gets tiring after a while.

I think they set out to make the biggest adventure possible, and you have to give the people involved credit for truly bringing it. But I can completely understand where people get tired of mindless action without much wit and far less charm than the first film had. But hey, I'm still having a blast going back and re-watching some of my childhood favorites.

+Spectacle is unmatched

+Zimmer's score is epic

+Jaw-dropping action

-Plot wanders

-Lengthy

7.8/10
May 26, 2017
It is weird to see the transition from Curse of the Black Pearl to At World's End. Some may argue that the franchise is over the top and cartoon like, but this is a solid movie. There is a lot of ground to cover and it does it fairly well. However, there are a few shortcomings and pointless moments, but still a good movie concluding the first three films. The story is a little wild from time to time, but still manages to keep the charm of the original film.
May 26, 2017
If Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End has one major flaw it's that it's overly long. I don't think it ever gets boring as many people do, but when the movie's over, it's hard to believe how much time has passed. I mean the movie is ten minutes shy of being three hours! But for Pirates' fans, At World's End provides more of the fun and action that we loved from the first two movies, just maybe a little too much more. Another flaw that people love to poke at this movie for is it being too confusing. While I readily admit that this film has way too many characters with way too many motivations and way to many plotlines, I never once found the movie confusing. I understood At World's End when I was 9 years old, so I would think most adults should be fine watching it. What I haven't understood is all the hate that this movie has received. I know a lot of people who bash on this film and it doesn't make sense to me when you consider how similar it is to the first two. This movie is a blast. You get to see the return of all the hilarious Pirates' characters. There's awesome action scenes, great special effects, and the music is breathtaking. Seriously, this movie by far has the best score out of all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Hans Zimmer changed it up a little bit and he knocks it out of the park. Now I understand the complaints about the movie being too long, and if I could cut out one scene it would be the Brethren Court sequence. I think it's a funny part of the movie and I like how you get to see the inner workings of the pirate politics, but it's feels really unnecessary as it happens towards the end of the movie and none of the Pirate Lords actually end up doing anything in the final battle. And speaking of the final battle, holy crap it's awesome! One of this movie's biggest strongsuits is how much it feels like an epic conclusion to the franchise. While Disney inevitably made more Pirates' films, At World's End is still the larger-than-life finale to the story arcs started in Dead Man's Chest and even Curse of the Black Pearl. In the end, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End gave audiences exactly what they asked for and I think it delivers almost 100%. And Jack Sparrow is at his craziest of the franchise in this one, which is either a good thing or a bad thing based on your preferences. (It's a good thing!)
½ May 25, 2017
A fun watch for all the pirates fans..!!!
½ May 25, 2017
This movie is quite messy and hard to follow, since there are a lot of characters and they all talk behind each other's backs all the time and the movie expects you to follow everything. This makes the movie feel longer than it is, and it's already very long.
I enjoy some of the action and some of the humor hits still, even though it feels like the humor is less then the to first. The movie also still looks great, like all the pirates movies does.
May 25, 2017
lets just say it was pretty boring for the first 60% of the movie, the only part that made it good was the last big battle, the movie was by no means bad, it was just kind of boring. there were also to many plot twists and there was a lot of scenes where you had no idea what was going on, you felt like: why did they do that? how that come here? why would you even do that? also something I have thought about with all the movies is that this is Disney, parents let me warn you that just because this is Disney does not mean its fully geared toward the kids, there are some violent things in these movies, and I think that's something Disney did not do a good job doing, making it clear that this is PG-13. the conclusion is that its not bad but its not great, overall, I would give this a 43% out of 100%.
May 25, 2017
At times, it can be very convoluted and overstuffed. However, the insane action sequences do not fail to make your jaw drop, and Depp's charming performance still makes you grin with satisfaction.
½ May 24, 2017
A few too many effects in this one... But still love the swash, swash, buckle, buckle and constant backstabbing and double crossing.
May 24, 2017
It's great but too long also love Davy Jones
½ May 24, 2017
Surely a step-down from its predecessor, but a great way to end the trilogy. What saves the movie from flopping is some fresh humor and the magnificent third act with the final battle, which brings a very fitting end to the story. Best performances we've seen from cast members up until now, with some touching moments from our slightly underwhelming villain, Davy Jones.
½ May 24, 2017
Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to stretch out this "Davy Jones Saga" for over 5 hours? Unlike the last film, At World's End has a lot more going on, but as a double edged sword it falls victim much more frequently to a bad case of "All sound and fury signifying nothing" disease.
½ May 23, 2017
Big budget films that gain a sequel that makes even more money than its predecessor is bound to become a franchise, regardless if there is a story to be told. In this case, a story was left open at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, but this film doesn't embrace it in the proper way. This is a franchise that progressively loses steam as each film is made, but I personally think the overwhelming amount of hate these sequels receive is a bit much. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is the type of film that relies too much on dialogue and too little on the action, and some films work with that wonderfully, but at nearly three hours, that becomes tiresome. This film has always been my least favourite of the franchise and here's why.

At the end of the previous film, the premise sets itself up to be an expedition to find Jack Sparrow. Now, I know that Johnny Depp's portrayal of this character has always been the biggest highlight for fans, but I would've loved if they took a bigger risk, making the entire plot a quest to find him. Instead, we see him about 30 minutes into the film, he is reunited, and then a new plot sets itself in motion. Sure, this premise has been done before, and the premise of this film is very reminiscent of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. In no way am I comparing this film to Star Wars, but I'm simply pointing out that a film has pulled this off in a far better way. The most interesting portion of this film was waiting to see where Jack ended up, but he is found even before the first act ends. This alone makes it the weakest in the franchise for not showing any guts, but the action in this film is probably the best in the franchise.

Personally, the promise of the first act is really what makes this film endurable. As soon as that storyline is through, the second act is pretty much entirely dialogue-driven, lasting for almost an hour and a half. Still to this day I find myself incredibly bored through the middle portion of this film, teetering on becoming an atrocious film. Happily, when the third act kicks into gear, it's very clear where they spent most of the budget for this film. If nothing else, the last 30-40 minutes of this film is everything that the action of this franchise should be delivering. When they reach the world's end and have the giant showdown, that was well worth the price of admission back in 2007, and still is today. The third act of this film alone is the reason I give this film a pass as a whole. What also contradicts this statement is the fact that this is an incredibly strange film at times.

The characters throughout this franchise are all pretty unique in their character designs, but that's not where the strangeness comes from here. There are far too many bizarre visuals and over-exposed scenery that takes me completely out of the film. This may be getting nit-picky, but Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End can be a very weird film sometimes. The uniqueness that each film goes for can be highly commended, but there is a border between what's weird to just be weird and what's weird to be clever and make the story more interesting. This is a film that goes for weird, just to be weird.

Upon its initial release, less than a year after its predecessor, I was very excited, only to be severely let down. I quite enjoyed the second instalment, and I can only say that about half of this film. The action is some of the best this franchise will probably ever see and the opening premise in finding Jack Sparrow was very interesting. Aside from that, this is a very plotty film that wastes too much time on exposition and silly visuals that I loses my attention quite often. If you are a huge fan of the original film like many people are, then this is an average watch at best when going back to binge the franchise. Personally, I feel this film is just as boring and tedious to get through, as it is entertaining, which is incredibly frustrating. In the end, there are some nice moments sprinkled throughout an otherwise extremely messy film. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End still remains to be my least favourite of the franchise.