Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

½ April 16, 2018
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is an entertaining at best film, but the film is far too overcrowded, dull, boring, overlong and WAY TOO CONVOLUTED to understand. Spider-Man 3 may have a lot going on, but it's better than this. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and the rest of the cast does fine for what is given, but Keira Knightley overacts almost through this entire 169-minute long film. At World's End is definitely the weakest of the original Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy and the entire series. I don't hate this movie like everyone else. I want to say that I like the film, which I do, but like I said, there is just WAY TOO MUCH STUFF going on. The pros: the acting is still fine from Johnny Depp, Keira and Orlando. Great to see Geoffrey Rush back. Bill Nighy is really good as Davy Jones, until what they do with him which I'll explain in the comments here as I did when I reviewed the film on my channel. The action and special effects are really good. I still love the new Disney logo they used for the film. The music is still good. The cinematography and direction is cool. But as for the cons: The film is just WAY too long for it's own good, way too convoluted and confusing. The love story for Davy Jones serves no purpose. The film becomes extremely boring at times. The way they killed Davy Jones is laughable, but I liked it more in Suicide Squad. Some of the characters and a few scenes could've been cut from the film and made this movie a lot more shorter. And the film does become a little anti-climactic. It certainly has it's enjoyable moments such as The Pearl vs Dutchmann malestrom climax and a few good lines and funny moments, I too think this is the WORST film in the franchise. When I first watched this I nearly fell asleep. Like you said the film is way too long and the plot way too damn convoluted. I would be more forgiving of the story except for the fact that this is a DISNEY movie and if there's anything a Disney movie should never be it's hard to follow and boring. To avoid me repeating everything you said I'll just go over one thing that really pissed me off. The change of motivation for rescuing Jack from the locker. At the end of Dead Man's Chest Will, Elizabeth, Gibbs and the crew volunteer to rescue Jack because he is their captain and friend and they miss him. Their willingness to go out of their way to save their friend and all say "Aye" together felt genuine and believable. You got a sense they really care about him and would do anything to get him back and what happens in this movie instead? Will says they need to rescue him just because he's one of the nine pirate lords and because he needs the pearl to free his father for some reason. As soon as they get Jack out of the locker they point guns and swords and try to blackmail him. I was just like what the hell? It's like the writers are trying to make you forget why they agreed to rescue Jack just as a way to advance this convoluted plot or whatever. I don't know maybe I'm just being a bit harsh but I'm really fucking annoyed one of the most genuine moments of the franchise has no further impact in this movie and pretty much becomes pointless. Makes it kind of hard for me to care about the characters when they don't care about each other (oh and also spend the whole fucking movie double crossing and betraying each other, that got really annoying after a while). Also hanging a child in the opening: really Disney? REALLY?? This is definitely the worst film in the Pirates of the Carribean series, and my least favorite of this original trilogy, but luckilly for me, On Stranger Tides is an improvement over this. Like I said, I could be more forgiving on this movie, if the pacing was better, the structure of the plot was better, the opening was better written and different and if it wasn't such a bore. 6.5/10
April 10, 2018
Not quite as much humor and charm as the original but it brings more than enough epic action sequences, likable characters and inventive moments to the table.
April 6, 2018
Second favorite movie of all time
March 21, 2018
Longwinded action scenes, confusing sequences and not-so funny jokes, leads me to say, The Pirates of the Caribbean has sailed it's course.
February 28, 2018
At World's End is good for being the third installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and is still a nice swashbuckling tale. As the series continues, you start to see a slight difference in originality, but this exciting and daring movie is something we can still enjoy even if it's a little less than the previous films in the franchise. Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast still give good performances and continue to give audiences authentic pirate excitement.
½ February 28, 2018
It may just have been an unlucky time for me to view this, but I did find that the film was carrying on too much at times, had a fairly confusing and scattered plot, had an overhaul of action scenes, and had no real heart to the newer characters. I found myself feeling pretty bored throughout this film, except for the end of the film when it all came together was an exceptional plus.
½ February 20, 2018
More of the same from the second film really. Has its moments but didn't find as funny as the other 2 films. Still has some great special effects and action scenes...but just felt something was missing this time?
½ February 16, 2018
While it's not perfect... POTC 3 still manages to be the 2nd best of the Pirates movies.
½ January 30, 2018
i find this movie to be to be one of the best pirates movie the visuals were great and plot was okay but i find its runtime to be a bit long
½ January 25, 2018
"At World's End" has crazy action sequences, but the sub-plots make it hard to keep track of what is happening in this movie. Still, another charismatic performance from Depp, Knightley, Bloom, Rush and Nighy can stop this ship from sinking to the bottom of the sea. This movie probably has the best final battle in the entire franchise with Jack Sparrow vs Davy Jones, an emotional sacrifice and cannons blowing holes in ships.
½ January 19, 2018
Don't even think about comparing this to it's predecessor, and the reason why is that it falls short in every possible way. For example; it completely ruins the main antagonist Davy Jones, leaving him with next to nothing going for him, other than one epic sword fight with Jack Sparrow, "(the highlight of the film)," and an altogether terrible return to the series.
And then there is, among other things the length, like why does the movie have to be so stinking long, I mean come on, it's not like this is Lord of
The Rings or Titanic, "SERIOUSLY." Other major issues I have with this film include: it's sluggish start, lack of the series wide-range of mythos, and its over abundance of pointless action scenes and wasted characters. In the end leaving me with the harsh and deserving consensus that, "Although it maybe entertaining at certain points, At World's End effortlessly thwarts the fun and colorful Dead Man's Chest, by turning it's shift to a serious and mostly disappointing entry into the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise". Final note: this is either my least favorite or second to least favorite Pirates film.
½ January 15, 2018
7/10 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" has an extremely overlong running time and a big plot thread that seems to go nowhere, but good acting, some humor, and an outstandingly thrilling climax keep this movie from running aground.
January 13, 2018
What a God awful movie. Have people forgotten what a good movie is like? Probably so if you have only seen the garbage tossed out during the last twenty years. It's incomprehensible how anyone can give this aimless trite anything above an undeserving 2.
January 9, 2018
No one can convince me not to love this film.
½ January 8, 2018
Somehow, this one completely fails on most levels. On paper, what it accomplishes is great, but the storytelling falls flat and the arcs are rushed and not earned. Sparrow's death feels pointless and it forgets how to tell a cohesive story.
½ January 2, 2018
I don't know why this movie gets so much hate, sure it made some mistakes, but in the end it is a very fun and entertaining movie. I think people are over critical about this movie, just try not to make sense out of it and it is a great movie!
½ December 21, 2017
An enlarging, exhilarating entertainment at the trilogy's peak with the usual third chapter formula that was growing especially when in attempt to have much of an epic scale as "The Return of the King" but turned out overall excessive, and heavy with plot threads that soon tied together and made sense at the end. Its epic scale/enlarged entertainment value overshadowed its flaws that were soon assumingly fixed towards a perfect end, which makes this the best of the series - and the last of its established glory. (A)

(Full review TBD)
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

El valor narrativo de esta entrega se ve afectado por diálogos paupérrimos, con secuencias pensadas estrictamente comerciales.
December 18, 2017
This movie is epic. The score for this movie was great. There were a lot of great scenes in this movie.
December 8, 2017
Il modo migliore per concludere una trilogia così brillante. Ai Confini del Mondo è un'esperienza con una narrativa ancora più difficile e intricata dei capitoli precedenti, con colpi di scena, alleanze e doppi giochi che rendono il film piuttosto pesante da digerire con una sola visione. Si tratta del gran finale che chiude tutte le questioni lasciate aperte nel secondo capitolo, coinvolgendo tutti i personaggi e tutte le loro storie secondarie. Come i film precedenti c'è una perfetta coesione tra coinvolgimento emotivo e stupore visivo, rispettivamente grazie a personaggi leggendari e grazie ad effetti speciali diretti con cura e maestria. Nel complesso si tratta di una trilogia che amo dal profondo del mio cuore, che ha condizionato la mia infanzia e la mia voglia di scoprire il cinema. Dopo più di dieci anni rimangono ancora tra i film che ho apprezzato di più, e di sicuro si tratta della mia trilogia preferita in assoluto. Il valore del punteggio di questo sito non riuscirà mai a descrivere il mio amore verso l'intera saga, un forte stimolo che mi fa vedere il mondo con gli occhi di un bambino ogni volta che la rivedo.