Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

February 19, 2018
Second favorite movie of all time
½ February 16, 2018
While it's not perfect... POTC 3 still manages to be the 2nd best of the Pirates movies.
½ January 30, 2018
i find this movie to be to be one of the best pirates movie the visuals were great and plot was okay but i find its runtime to be a bit long
January 28, 2018
At World's End is good for being the third installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and is still a nice swashbuckling tale. As the series continues, you start to see a slight difference in originality, but this exciting and daring movie is something we can still enjoy even if it's a little less than the previous films in the franchise. Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast still give good performances and continue to give audiences authentic pirate excitement.
½ January 25, 2018
"At World's End" has crazy action sequences, but the sub-plots make it hard to keep track of what is happening in this movie. Still, another charismatic performance from Depp, Knightley, Bloom, Rush and Nighy can stop this ship from sinking to the bottom of the sea. This movie probably has the best final battle in the entire franchise with Jack Sparrow vs Davy Jones, an emotional sacrifice and cannons blowing holes in ships.
½ January 19, 2018
Don't even think about comparing this to it's predecessor, and the reason why is that it falls short in every possible way. For example; it completely ruins the main antagonist Davy Jones, leaving him with next to nothing going for him, other than one epic sword fight with Jack Sparrow, "(the highlight of the film)," and an altogether terrible return to the series.
And then there is, among other things the length, like why does the movie have to be so stinking long, I mean come on, it's not like this is Lord of
The Rings or Titanic, "SERIOUSLY." Other major issues I have with this film include: it's sluggish start, lack of the series wide-range of mythos, and its over abundance of pointless action scenes and wasted characters. In the end leaving me with the harsh and deserving consensus that, "Although it maybe entertaining at certain points, At World's End effortlessly thwarts the fun and colorful Dead Man's Chest, by turning it's shift to a serious and mostly disappointing entry into the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise". Final note: this is either my least favorite or second to least favorite Pirates film.
½ January 15, 2018
7/10 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" has an extremely overlong running time and a big plot thread that seems to go nowhere, but good acting, some humor, and an outstandingly thrilling climax keep this movie from running aground.
January 13, 2018
What a God awful movie. Have people forgotten what a good movie is like? Probably so if you have only seen the garbage tossed out during the last twenty years. It's incomprehensible how anyone can give this aimless trite anything above an undeserving 2.
January 9, 2018
No one can convince me not to love this film.
½ January 8, 2018
Somehow, this one completely fails on most levels. On paper, what it accomplishes is great, but the storytelling falls flat and the arcs are rushed and not earned. Sparrow's death feels pointless and it forgets how to tell a cohesive story.
½ January 2, 2018
I don't know why this movie gets so much hate, sure it made some mistakes, but in the end it is a very fun and entertaining movie. I think people are over critical about this movie, just try not to make sense out of it and it is a great movie!
½ December 21, 2017
An enlarging, exhilarating entertainment at the trilogy's peak with the usual third chapter formula that was growing especially when in attempt to have much of an epic scale as "The Return of the King" but turned out overall excessive, and heavy with plot threads that soon tied together and made sense at the end. Its epic scale/enlarged entertainment value overshadowed its flaws that were soon assumingly fixed towards a perfect end, which makes this the best of the series - and the last of its established glory. (A)

(Full review TBD)
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

El valor narrativo de esta entrega se ve afectado por diálogos paupérrimos, con secuencias pensadas estrictamente comerciales.
December 18, 2017
This movie is epic. The score for this movie was great. There were a lot of great scenes in this movie.
December 8, 2017
Il modo migliore per concludere una trilogia così brillante. Ai Confini del Mondo è un'esperienza con una narrativa ancora più difficile e intricata dei capitoli precedenti, con colpi di scena, alleanze e doppi giochi che rendono il film piuttosto pesante da digerire con una sola visione. Si tratta del gran finale che chiude tutte le questioni lasciate aperte nel secondo capitolo, coinvolgendo tutti i personaggi e tutte le loro storie secondarie. Come i film precedenti c'è una perfetta coesione tra coinvolgimento emotivo e stupore visivo, rispettivamente grazie a personaggi leggendari e grazie ad effetti speciali diretti con cura e maestria. Nel complesso si tratta di una trilogia che amo dal profondo del mio cuore, che ha condizionato la mia infanzia e la mia voglia di scoprire il cinema. Dopo più di dieci anni rimangono ancora tra i film che ho apprezzato di più, e di sicuro si tratta della mia trilogia preferita in assoluto. Il valore del punteggio di questo sito non riuscirà mai a descrivere il mio amore verso l'intera saga, un forte stimolo che mi fa vedere il mondo con gli occhi di un bambino ogni volta che la rivedo.
½ November 21, 2017
There is no "real" goal in which the characters attempt to complete, and that's one hard thing to miss in a movie. It's a pretty childish storyline, but you can still work with it. A little bit. Anyways, it worse than the previous two movies, and relies on Jack Sparrow to carry the show.
½ November 21, 2017
While the previous two "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies were fun and exciting, this one was just boring.
November 20, 2017
Absolutely fantastic and epic in every sense of the word. Epically funny, epically emotional, epically action-packed--Keira, Johhny, Orlando, and Jack Davenport are just so, so fantastic!
November 19, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is the third and last of the money spinning trilogy, or so they say. Everything has led to this, or so they say again and I kept my mind opened. The first of the Pirates series, The Curse of the Black Pearl was good. It was a movie out of nothing or more correctly a movie inspired by nothing more than a Disney theme park ride. Having said that however the creation of Captain Jack Sparrow was nothing short of inspirational. Captain Jack played by the charismatic Johnny Depp became the talisman of Pirates of the Caribbean. Thought to be dead when we saw him charging into the jaws of monster octopus Kraken toward the end of Dead Man's Chest (the sequel), he is to be brought back from the dead in this latest film.

I have to be honest; I hated Dead Man's Chest. Its various plots and subplots were terribly tangled and confusing. It was hard to follow what sort of story or motives the movie wants to say. I blamed my lack of understanding for not comprehending Dead Man's Chest. That was summer of last year but since then I have done my research, for the billion dollars making movie was to have a third installment. Having seen one and two, I have to see three. But if I do not understand two then how can I go ahead with three. And so after a better understanding of two I saw three. You should know this. For all my efforts I was still robbed by the pirates.

I was led happily out into the open sea before being robbed. I was enjoying the first third of the 168 minutes film. Captain Jack's crew arrived in Singapore to look for Captain Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fatt), pirate lord of the South China Sea for a ship and a map, so they could sail to world's end and rescue our favourite captain from Davy Jones's Locker. Davy Jones's Locker is a ghost realm of the netherworld where the dead Captain Jack Sparrow is being kept for eternity.

There appears to be some oriental influence in At World's End. Firstly of course we are introduced to a Chinese pirate, Captain Sao Feng. Secondly, the costumes and all were very well designed in an exquisite oriental fashion. And there was Singapore, a South East Asian country where Captain Sao Feng can be found.

The Singapore set features a bathhouse and I couldn't help relating it to Japanese animation master Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away. The popular animated film, released by Disney in the west has a bathhouse theme. The relation did not stop there, and I wondered if the scene where Captain Jack Sparrow is isolated in Davy Jones's Locker was inspired too by Hayao Miyazaki's work. The part where thousands of strange and curious yet harmless rounded stone-like crab helping Jack move his ship, The Black Pearl across a desert aroused my attention to this perspective. It was through the hands, eyes and imagination of the acclaimed animation master, Hayao Miyazaki that made famous the approach of detailing stories with thousands of mini little intriguing creatures. And it was fun to watch.

I was enjoying At World's End, laughing merrily at all the pirate jokes that the characters are lashing out at one another, feeling the thrill of the sword-fights and of course attracted to the sometimes witty, looney and mad character of Captain Jack Sparrow. That scene of him engaging himself to his many different personalities while alone in the deserted Davy Jones's Locker is a real gem.

But with all the oriental influences, the filmmakers probably did not take note of the teachings of Zen, where less is truly more. For when after the crew rescued Captain Jack Sparrow and brought him back to the mortal world, it all happened again. The tangling and confusing plots and subplots manifested once more and killed whatever is good about the film. In my opinion, if At World's End had ended after rescuing Captain Jack and had a straight approach in the gathering of forces to deal with Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) and Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) with a fitting spectacle of a finale fight, the film would have been great.

I was trying to understand the story. In reflection I probably should not for it amounted to nothing. It just isn't worth it. It would be tiring for me just to list them all out. So just be warned that in the film, every character have their own personal agenda. It is "me" first and "you" later if "you" are still there. If that is the purpose of the story-writers to represent the meaning of how pirates are, then they have succeeded. In fact it was so successful that they lost me.

It bored me so much I no longer laughed at the jokes. It dragged on so long I no longer felt compelled to see the ending. I just want the film to end there and then. Enough was enough.

"Take whatever you can and give nothing back." Thanks a billion, filmmakers, or is it thanks me instead?

This entire Pirate series is like a ride on a pirate ship in a theme park, it was thrilling for a start but as it swing back and forth too many times the nauseas will come and when it stops you find yourself displaced nowhere.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is a fine example of a good film gone bad because it had too many tangling tales to tell. I maintain that it is worth watching for the first third of the film but save yourself from seasickness in the middle just so you can enjoy the spectacular fight sequence toward the end.The Pirates of the Caribbean-movie serials is probably one I'll never grow tired off. The characters are fun and great, always adventurous and spectacular to watch.

It's really too bad that this time they felt the need to make things even bigger, more complex and conclusive than the previous two movies. Really not needed. In my opinion the first movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" is still the best because of the reason that it's simple, fun and choices to be purely entertaining. They already went wrong with this approach during the second movie; "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", when they put in more new characters and different hard to follow plot lines. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" goes on in the same trend as the previous movie. There are more new characters and as far as the new many plot-lines are concerned...well let me just say that after a while I just gave up trying to understand the movie and just let the movie take me away with its visuals, humor and other entertaining elements. And this movie regardless should really be able to take you away on a roller-coaster-ride of pure entertainment.

No doubt in my mind that this movie could had become the best one out of the series. It had all the potential and budget for that, now if they had only cut down about halve of the script...Most of the plot-lines seem redundant and are actually far from believable because they contradict from what happened in the first two movies. The many betrayals among characters and side-picking became really confusing after a while, till it reached a point when you just didn't knew who was fighting for what. But like I said before, after a while you just stop caring about it and simply enjoy the movie for what it brings you. It all is also the reason why the movie is now nearly 3 hours long. Now the movie is not as good and entertaining as the first but maybe just slightly better than the second one, because of the large scale of this movie.

The movie is definitely big. There is no lack of action as some people claim there is. There is just as much action as there is in the first two movies, only difference this time is that the movie is nearly 3 hours long and therefor the movie also has some more talking-sequences and slower moments in it.

The movie is also big with its musical score by Hans Zimmer and he actually succeeded in composing a new great theme for the movie. In its action moments the movie gets definitely uplifted by its musical score.

The action sequences are definitely well constructed and at times pure eye candy. So are the special effects, although I feel that the second movie was still better on that. It seems like they tried to overdo things this time and I'm mainly talking about the end battle, when it comes down to its special effects, by putting in some complex shots. No matter how good CGI is these days, you still see that it's CGI.

Most roles get extended in this movie. Marty, Tia Dalma and even Jack the monkey and Cotton's parrot. But of course the movie still remains the Jack Sparrow-show. Really one of the best characters in recent years, all thanks to Johnny Depp, who provide the movie with its biggest laughs and most hilarious absurd moments. He still plays the character as good and fresh as he did for the first time 4 years ago. You can't just ever grow tired of Jack Sparrow. I was also very pleased to see Geoffrey Rush back as Barbossa. His role was bigger which allowed Geoffrey Rush to shine even more. Bill Nighy was also as good as always as Davy Jones. Orlando Bloom's and Keira Knightley's acting also has really improved over the years. I was actually surprised to see how much of the movie Keira Knightley carries this time and how well she does this. Even in the sequences with Geoffrey Rush she does. She also gets to do more interesting in the movie when it comes done to action. In a way she has taken over the Will (Orlando Bloom) role in this movie this time and Will himself gets pushed more to the background this time compared to the first two movies, which really shouldn't bother most people, unless you're a teenage-girl of course. She handles both the action- and comical sequences really well. And even Keith Richards shows up in an already classic cameo as Jack's father. But some role also got narrowed down to my regret, such as Jonathan Pryce's and Jack Davenport's and lets not forget the Kraken.

Still, I really wouldn't mind seeing more Pirates of the Caribbean movies in the future, if needed with new actors and characters, as long as Johnny Depp stays as Jack Sparrow. The serials still have more than enough potential and haven't dried up yet.
November 12, 2017
With not nearly enough action to justify its almost 3-hour runtime, At World's End is another step down for the franchise. That being said, the action is great, as are the acting and script.