Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

May 13, 2016
Love pirates of caribbean movies
½ April 24, 2016
A Comparative Look at the Pirates Series - Part 3: At World's End

As we arrive into the third film in the series, things have taken a much stranger turn. Ever more so than the final movie. It is certainly a dispatch from the previous films, where the theme becomes slightly abstract, and plot devices tend to muddle the overall story. The world is changing, and in it, there is no more room for piracy. Under rule of the King of England, the Caribbean islands have begun executing all known pirates, associates of pirates, and even surprisingly... the children of pirates. We enter the film at the gallows and witness hanging after hanging in a strongly dark montage of death. This certainly sets the tone for the remainder of the film. William, Elizabeth align themselves with Captain Hector Barbossa on a mission to find Jack who was 'lost at sea'. It's unknown how much time has passed since we last saw him, but it could be inferred that it is not too long after his meeting with the Kraken (a giant sea squid under the control of Davy Jones). Everyone has lost some part of their hopes, or has betrayed each other at this point and even Davy Jones is under the control of the East India Trading Company.

This is perhaps the only movie where I really criticize the direction in the whole pirates film series. It is such a departure from the previous film, that perhaps it's even stranger than the following movie 'On Stranger Tides'. I thought that although there has always been a sense of the mystic in the Pirates movies, this one gets really abstract and convoluted. I understand that perhaps Gore Verbinsky, was trying to wrap up the original trilogy in this entry, but the writing and characterization really gets lost along the way. Johnny Depp changed the most, not physically mind you, but he really portrays Jack as an insane man. I'm not entirely sure why he's so nuts in this one, I but I think it takes away from the charm that is Captain Jack Sparrow. Other characters have become somewhat dulled, especially Orlando Bloom ask Will. He doesn't seem that interested in what's going on around him, even as he interacts with different people throughout the film, he and Keira Knightly seemed a little lackluster. Bill Nighy remains my favourite character in the series, and really excels as a somewhat deterred yet still delightfully aggressive Davy Jones.

The real shame is the plot, as there are a couple of really big plot holes, especially when it comes to the use of Calypso. I thought that there was a reason she was there in the final battle, and that the pirates had a trump card up their sleeve, but she really didn't serve much of a purpose. In the end she was almost a non-event. If she was always this powerful, why didn't they just use her from the start? Perhaps that simpler idea is what they wanted to avoid, to push the plot along for almost 3 hours, which makes this movie the longest entry in the series.

Overall it's not a bad ending to the original trilogy of films, but definitely the most perplexing and complicated of the series.

2.5/5
April 22, 2016
Another great addition the Pirates franchise!
April 15, 2016
This movie takes the fun and joy out of the first two and flushes it down the toilet.
April 9, 2016
Finally, a Pirates of the Caribbean that can be compared to the first. It may not be as amazing as the first, but definitely worth seeing, especially if you saw the second and thought it didn't live up to it's name.
April 4, 2016
Perfect way to end a beautiful and entertaining trilogy.
March 29, 2016
For better or worse, this is the 2000s-est movie I've ever seen.
March 11, 2016
Simply amazing and one of the best action/adventure films ever. Also has one of the best score I've heard in recent years.
½ March 11, 2016
The Pirates movies have always served as just popcorn entertainment, and this one is no exception. However, this stands out not just for it's action and grand scale, but the story and world that it creates draws in the audience and makes us look at this series a lot differently.
March 7, 2016
the third installment is packed full of high caliber action scenes and committed performances but introduces too many new characters making it hard for viewers to follow.
March 4, 2016
I thought the ending to the series, even though not the best, still had everything I loved about the first two. It was a bit hard to follow but I still think it was really cool. Some of my favorite movies in the world.
March 3, 2016
A bit convoluted at times but still a great sequel.
½ February 26, 2016
At Worlds End is basically what the end of Dead Man's Chest should have been, and stretches it to a full lenght movie with tons of filler. The return of Geoffeey Rush is very welcome, but all the other characters go one step too far, and so does the entire movie, which felt very cheesy despite its dark tone and thrilling action scenes.
½ February 23, 2016
I'll concede that it's a bit of a mess (I guess they'd have to tie all the crazy plot threads together at some point) but it's still a strange and stylistically audacious movie that only looks better the more most recent blockbusters become increasingly flat and generic. I still can't believe they got away with an ending that seems designed specifically to frustrate the audience.
½ February 17, 2016
Well, to recap ... i thought the first one was fun ... but I didn't love it as much as most people did. The second one was more of the same, and it got a little old after a while ... by the third one, I just don't care anymore. The movie is fine, but like most trilogies, they just seem to run out of steam (and by "steam", I mean fresh ideas). I was just bored throughout most of it. And somehow they're going to stretch another movie out of this series after this? They've just taken this Johnny Depp character and just bled him dry.
½ February 13, 2016
I really enjoyed it!
February 4, 2016
Not a bad action film, but it is confusing and a little boring at times. I wasn't that into it. It's definitely the worst movie in the series so far. (First and only full viewing - Summer 2007 in theaters)
½ February 3, 2016
While not entirely coherent, At World's End is still a fun and entertaining movie.
½ January 31, 2016
It's apparent that this and the previous installment were not trying to be slavish to the continuity or character traits present in the first film. As such, we have an instant, unnecessary trilogy, with lots and lots of loose plot lines, and endless amounts of repetitive dialogue.
January 31, 2016
Didn't get it, Didn't like it, It's good in some parts but it's still a poor movie, They should of left well enough alone after the first one, But no they have to milk it and now the series is ruined for me.