Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Reviews

September 10, 2018
A true Empire Strikes Back-level sequel, Dead Man's Chest challenges its predecessor for perfection and delivers one of the greatest villains of cinema with Davy Jones.
September 2, 2018
I just can't get enough of captain Jack Sparrow.
June 23, 2018
Very exciting and encaptavating story. Amazing characters and addition to the pirates franchise
June 21, 2018
8/10 Dead Man's Chest never reached the heights of the first movie, but it still has plenty of thrills and humor to be entertaining in its own right.
May 30, 2018
The word "bugger" is repeated a distrubing number of times. Seems like the director was trying to make Jack Sparrow look less gay by using homophobic words. That's stupid and low. The movie is too long to the point of boredom.
½ May 28, 2018
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"
Review by: Doug Nau

Henry Jackman
Trevor Morris
John Sponsler
Geoff Zanelli

The second installment of the film franchise picks up where the first movie left off, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swan (Keira Knightley) are to be married. However, this is interrupted when their both are arrested for aiding in the notorious Captain Jack Sparrow's (Johnny Depp)escape. Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander), will lift all charges, if Will can hunt down Jack and bring him back to Beckett, along with his magic compass. However, Jack has other problems. Years ago, he made a deal with Davy Jones (Billy Nighy) to raise the Black Pearl. Time is up. His part of the deal was to give Davy Jones his soul. Once Will finds Jack, unaware of the current situation, Jack coaxes Will into boarding Davy Jones's ship, the Flying Dutchman, and retrieve a mysterious key. This key opens the chest that contains Davy Jones's secret. With it, you can control Davy Jones and his fearsome beast, The Kraken. Once Will retrieves said key, Davy Jones is hot on his trail, now hunting down both Jack and Will. It is now, only a matter of time, before something happens. Hopefully the pirates can reach the chest and stop Davy Jones, before he reaches them and sends them all to a watery grave.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is noticeable much bigger then the original not just in story, but production values which shows much of money went into the visual effects. Also the films budget grew $85 million dollar more from the originals $140 million dollars, which makes the cost of this films budget $225 millions. However, they've put tender and care with the stunning visuals, in the end the result is so spectacular and even better then the original. The movies problem lies within the screenplay by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio is bogged down by too many plots which was a bit complicated at first to follow but after couple more view you pick up the piece didn't realize the first time. There also isn't mush allusions of the classic ride like there was in the original I assume that because most of it had already been shown in the original that the only noticeable allusion to the ride in which the films were inspired by is when they go to visit Tia Dalma the beginning of that scene reminded me a bit of the swamp scene at the beginning of the ride. Also, the tone has gotten much darker from the originals lighter tone but the movie still manages to entertain the hell out of me from beginning to end. So as long I had a great time watching it is definitely in my opinion a worthy successor.

The action sequences are ten times more epic and action-packed in this film than the original, my favorite sequences in the film are with the Karken is so amazing and exciting especially towards the end with with the ending at will shock you. Most of the cast from the original return to their role respectfully and they all did a fantastic job, especially new cast member Bill Nighy as Davy Jones was excellent and one of the films standouts besides Johnny Depp, who knocks it out of the park yet again as Captain Jack Sparrow. I also thought Orlando Blooms and Keria Knightly character's this time around was more interesting to watch as they maintain there personality, while they grow Keria's character's becomes more pirate-like of themselves.

The score composed by Hans Zimmer with additional music composed by Lorne Balfe, Tom Gire, Nick Glennie-Smith, Henry Jackman, Trevor Morris, John Sponsler, and Geoff Zanelli, is much bigger in scope then the original. The music in this film has an electric beat to the music to which Zimmer has cleverly plugged the orchestra instruments to guitar amps which gives the score a epic feel and even utilizes a Pip Organ, and a musical box. The music is even more better than the original, one of the best score for an action flick I've heard. My favorite tracks included; "Wedding Crasher", "I've Got My Eye on You", "This Way Direction", "Times Up", "The Pelegostos", "Dinner is Served", "Escape The Pelegostos", "Tia Dalma", "The Flying Dutchman", "The Haunted Dress to Tortuga", "Two Hornpipes", "Dave Jones Suite", "A Family Affair", "Summoning The Karken", "The Karken Suite", "Very Much Alike", "Fight Over the Key", "Wheel of Fortune", "A Jar of Dirt", and "Hello Beastie".

So overall while I do think its not as great as the first but I will say it is a worthy successor and doesn't feel like it was rehash of the original. It still was one of the most entertaining time I've had in the theater. Although, the film is much bigger than the first in scope and tone but manages to keep me glued to my sits from beginning to end. The only negative thing is bogged down by too many complicated sub plot, but the visual effects are so stunning and ten times more action packed than the first.
½ May 25, 2018
Total garbage. Weak story, even worse acting.
May 5, 2018
i love 2 and 3 back to back sequels the best story arc
March 21, 2018
A great film in it's own right. Dead Man's Chest offers: Funny moments, action sequences and an intriguing love triangle. It's a terrific film and a little bit better than the first, in my opinion.
½ March 9, 2018
It was amazing! As good as the first I say. I loved the ending i loved almost everything about it. Those who say it wasn't that good, well...they are entitled to their opinions even if they are wrong.
March 1, 2018
I watched this film last week when I had a virus, and I used to like it when I was a kid, but now this is what I think of it:
it was okay, I suppose, but I had the same thought about it when watching the fifth Pirates Of The Caribbean film at the cinema last year.
It is well made, I'll tell you that, and Johnny Depp does amazing as the legendary Jack Sparrow, but in my opinion, I don't think the whole Pirates Of The Caribbean universe is my jar of dirt, if you know what I mean.
I think the storyline is pointless and slow, along with its time length.
All I can say is thank goodness that the franchise is over. There's nothing really interesting about pirates battling in the seas all the time.
½ February 28, 2018
Dead Man's chest is another great movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. It lacks some of the material that was in the first movie, but it's still something worth watching and is something we can all enjoy. Johnny Depp still gives a nice swashbuckling performance as Jack Sparrow and so does the rest of the cast.
½ February 16, 2018
The 2nd pirates of the Caribbean succeeds in being a long boring mess, while introducing some intriguing new characters.
February 3, 2018
This one, and 5, are my favorites.
February 3, 2018
Easily of the best pirates movies
½ January 25, 2018
While it comes off short of it's predecessor, "Dead Man's Chest" is a fun sequel to "The Curse of the Black Pearl". Depp loses some of his humour and may be a bit overlong, but the performances and the crazy action sequences are what holds this movie over others.
January 17, 2018
Dead Man's Chest is a spectacular sequel! It expands on the characters, plot, and heightens the stakes compared to the first. The effects are amazing and still hold up well 10 years later, the acting is great, and the writing is both creative and imaginative.
½ January 8, 2018
I love this movie. The best of the series, in my opinion. It's a perfect sequel, doing all its homework and making every thread left hanging in the first (and every bit of history dropped in the first movie) count for something. It's bigger and weirder and full of incredibly fun setting pieces. The characters grow wonderfully and surprising turns. It's bold as hell and I love it.
January 5, 2018
Keira is such a babe, Orlando is the cunning handsome man, and of course Johnny the badass. Not the best script, but still decent. The first three movies of this series could've all been easily above a 90% if done right, just lazy filmmakers!