Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Reviews

March 26, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is not as fresh as its predecessor, but it brings the humor and action, and introduces a great new villain.
March 23, 2017
What you have in 'dead man's chest' is a two and a half hour set up for a supposed finale. What happens to be the curse of most trilogies does hit pretty hard here, in that the story cannot tie up any loose ends whatsoever. Instead merely give you more to mull over.

What was once a pain in the arse with the original cinematic release is taken away for the more modern blu ray viewer, so the pretty poor cliff hanger element is removed from the equation, and what you are left with is a very silly romp through pirate land, where very little has changed for good or for worse.

It's business as usual as far as the main crew are concerned, with Geoffrey Rush out of the picture, we make way for a new villain in the brilliant Davy Jones, played in motion capture form by Bill Nighy. The animation is of an incredibly impressive standard here, with loads of tiny details on his aquatic frame, the same can't be said however for the rest of the crew of the Flying Dutchman, the Kraken or in the ludicrous fight scenes.

If you lopped anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes off of Dead Man's chest's run time you would have a vastly superior film for it, instead you have an enjoyable romp and it is nice to see the same characters again, but it comes off feeling bloated and with little progression.

And a cliffhanger has never been, and shall never be worthy end to a film.
March 20, 2017
A more horror-esque take on the franchise that works surprisingly well despite an indulgent run time and utterly pointless opening thirty minutes.
Grade: C+
March 20, 2017
Didn't hate it as much on the second viewing but the terrible script and story seriously hinders Depp's performance and mistreats what could have been a great villain in Davy Jones. Bloom & Knightley shouldn't have been in the sequels.
March 15, 2017
"Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" stuggles to climb out that blockbuster pit, with nothing really that interesting to offer but old tales you've heard a million times before.
March 14, 2017
Extremely entertaining and in sometimes more entertaining than the 1st movie, however the movie lacks the excellent way of storytelling
March 8, 2017
Grade - B
Whilst it does in many ways improve upon the original, with advanced CGI, a more interesting antagonist, and some jaw-dropping action sequences, 'Dead Man's Chest' unfortunately doesn't support as strong a script to accompany them.
Tyler H.
½ February 20, 2017
I liked this movie far better than the original because of it's interesting plot with lots of surprises and amazing action scenes. Wished the other films had the same quality.
February 11, 2017
Jack Sparrow is cool but this movie is clumsily strange - bit dissappointing but a great series
February 6, 2017
Jack sparrow is back. To fight the creepy deadly Davy Jones Davy Jones is cool but look some very disgusting and creepy. The sequels keep getting better I know this one was my favorite. I like the Cracken that Davy Jones sends out it was very creepy it is like a gigantic octopus that is Davy Jones's pet now Davy Jones was playing his Oregon with his tentacles. That was creepy But this is a movie you should watch! It was a good movie! Will Jack pay his debt? To Jones see for your self.
Johnny Depp , Orlando Bloom , Keira Knightly
Are good in this movie!!! With theme in this movie they make a good Team.
January 23, 2017
Best sequel there will ever be!
January 17, 2017
Pretty entertaining, not quite as good as the first.
½ January 16, 2017
Me surpreendeu demais, pois pela fama do filme achei que seria superdivertido, mas achei chato, arrastado, repetitivo em várias cenas, além de confuso demais. Só o charme do elenco e o capricho no design de produção salvam.
½ January 7, 2017
My favorite Pirates of the Caribbean movie! It was very interesting and funny and had a great introduction of Davy Jones. I love this movie!
½ January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 30, 2016
4.5/5. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't care. This is my favorite of the Pirates movies. A lot of fun and some great action with some hilarious moments.
December 20, 2016
It's alright as a movie but nothing more
December 13, 2016
Wow, very different, and almost has good has the first one. A little too Hollywood this time doe.
November 30, 2016
Yes it's stupid but dammit it's fun and it made me laugh.
½ November 21, 2016
not as well polished as the original still a good film