Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Reviews

½ May 31, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is a very underrated film in my opinion. So underrated in fact, that I think it's the best out of the franchise. Davy Jones is not only brought to life by chilling CGI, but Bill Nighy (not the Science Guy) gives a very creepy, and at times, sympathetic performance. It's also a nice, not forced-in setup for the finale to come.

9/10
May 31, 2017
Dead Man's Chest makes an extreme step up from the down to earth first movie, stacks up the entertainment value, but sadly gets a little convoluted. Also, Dead Man's Chest feels like half a movie, and has many scenes that are totally unnecessary and do little to further expand the story.
½ May 30, 2017
Rating: 74%
Though its not as thrilling as the first, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest makes a mostly worthy sequel with some impressive CGI and an infectious cast.
½ May 30, 2017
Somehow this film feels like it doesn't accomplish much other than set up all the characters we need for At World's End. It's necessary in a way, but not a good movie.
May 29, 2017
Second chapter in the now cult & classic adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, this second film embarks us on a journey filled with battles, revenge, funny characters, awesome sets & more madness from Johnny Depp who has decided to go full on with his character for the great pleasure of the audience. It hasn't the freshness of the first one but it's definitely a cool flick for kids and grown ups...
jamrcla
May 29, 2017
A solid sequel that's full of very good and fun action, It's much darker than the first and yet again the plot was over complicated, Nice to see all of the main cast back, The effects were great too and play a huge part in keeping this film entertaining, A great and shocking ending left it open for more to come, I didn't think Pirates needed a sequel but we got more than one but this one does well in keeping us entertained.
½ May 29, 2017
Not the best but entertained me. Bit too long and boring in parts. Damn good acting though and the addition of Bill Nighy was really good and made for a very strong villain. Shame that the plot was to bloated.
½ May 28, 2017
A sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2002) this movie was released 4 years later and filmed back to back with its sequel At Worlds End (2007). While I found the plot of the first film very simple this time around the plot gets a lot more complicated (thus the need for two movies). While the action is amped up (especially any of the scenes with the Kraken) the film loses a bit of the comedy it had and has a much darker tone this time around. Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) are arrested on their wedding day by the East India Trading Company for assisting Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) previously. Led by Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) who wants Will to find Jack Sparrow and retrieve his magic compass from him. Cutler wants to find the heart of Davy Jones (Bill Nighly), so that he has complete control of Jones and his crew aboard the Flying Dutchman therefore controlling the seas. Some positives on this one like I said is the action is well done (although some of the CG is a bit dated 11 years later). The character development is more believable this time. There's some actual plot twists that add to the story. It also features a very cool ending sort of like the Empire Strikes Back that makes you look forward to the next film. The film itself though has maybe too many subplots. There's a subplot involving a voodoo witch named Tia Dalma (Naomie Harris) that doesn't even remotely make sense until you watch the third film, then there's a subplot with Norrington (Jack Davenport) from the first film and his "redemption." Not to mention the entire reason why Beckett even wants Will's help is kinda dumb. Overall, still a solid watch and a pretty decent sequel (I wish I could say the same for the next few).
May 27, 2017
Though not as good as the first, this is a welcomed sequel to the first and it introduces a very cool villain: DAVY JONES!
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Increíbles efectos especiales y magistral trabajo de producción; con una historia muy entretenida llena de icónicos e hilarantes momentos que dejarán más que contentos a los fans de la franquicia.
May 27, 2017
Has a lot of entertaining scenes, and is very well made. But ultimately is to long and confusing to be nearly as good as the first.
½ May 27, 2017
good but just not as good as the first one
May 27, 2017
Not as good as the first one, but a pretty good film
½ May 27, 2017
So, I think I understand the plot. So you need the heart, but first you need the key to open the chest with- No wait. Jack needs the heart to stop Davy Jones because of something about his ship- Oh wait. His... Uuum.... Oh and Will wants it for his dad for some reason...... This is too damn complicated for a pirate adventure movie.
May 26, 2017
after having seen both movies of this stories i feel this movie would have been much improved if the two movies had been combined into just one following the story of Jack sparrow and his quest to be free of Davy Jones. the second story line of this movie involving the east India company could have been, in my opinion, combined into a second completely separate movie.
½ May 26, 2017
This next entry is just as fun and over the top with its story, but it is handled in such a clever way. The new villain for the franchise is Davy Jones. Probably the best villain of the franchise as a whole. The story is imaginative and does take the characters in different directions. We learn more about William Turner and his heritage. Overall, a fun movie with new twists and turns for the characters and story.
May 25, 2017
the capt. returns and how..!! POC2 is simply amazing. hats off 2 Keira Knightley for such proformance. its not easy when you have johnny depp in the same frame.
½ May 25, 2017
Sometimes it's really hard to see past a film's flaws. For whatever reason though, I really get a kick out of these Pirates adventures. Whether it be because I had fond memories of them when I was much younger, or because there just wasn't quite a spectacle like them in the mid-2000's, either way I still find Dead Man's Chest to be an admirable part of the franchise.

I'm not sure there will ever be a Pirates film as good as the first one. There's nothing quite like that first adventure with Jack Sparrow, William Turner, and Elizabeth Swann. And Dead Man's Chest wastes no time trying to top the spectacle and scope of that film. However, when the story and characters are second fiddle to the set pieces and grand action sequences, that's where you have the problem. In many ways, this film only exists to set up the third film. Most of the story beats are drawn out in what could be only one film's worth of story, but we don't get the payoff for any of it until the 3rd adventure. That's not necessarily always a bad thing, but I would have preferred each film to stand on its own a little bit more.

Although we don't get Geoffrey Rush's maniacal Captain Barbossa, we are treated with equally invested performances from Bill Nighy as Davy Jones and Stellan Skarsgard as Boostrap Bill. Jones', the main antagonist, is essentially a supernatural pirate with the ability to also control a large sea creature called, the Kraken. If you thought the original film takes advantage of the over-the-top side to the series, the second one doubles down. Luckily, Nighy is an absolute joy to watch on screen, thanks in large part due to the groundbreaking special effects of Jones & various other characters and creatures.

Much like the first film, Dead Man's Chest is a bit overlong and has too many moving parts. It worked with the first film because the script, directing, and performances were all brilliant. I think some of the magic wore off here because you definitely feel the length. But there's no denying the entertainment value if you enjoyed the first outing. The ridiculousness continues to an island of indigenous people wanting Jack Sparrow and subsequently a dog to be their ruler, a wheel barrow sword fight that goes on for like 15 minutes, and one great cliffhanger. I know they're silly, but I always manage to have a blast re-watching them.

+Doubles down on ridiculous action

+Mind-blowing special effects

+Cliffhanger

-Lengthy & too goofy at times

7.6/10
May 25, 2017
There was a time when Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was my favorite Pirates of the Caribbean movie. That's probably because I used to watch the first one way too much and because this movie boasts my two favorite sequences in the entire franchise: the cannibal island escape and the final fight on Isla Cruces, in which Jack, Will, and Norrington have a somewhat rotational swordfight. The rest of the movie just doesn't stand up to the pure joy that is the first one, but that's not to say that I don't love this film. It is my second favorite Pirates of the Caribbean after all. The first film bests Dead Man's Chest in that it has a much less convoluted plot and it's overall more fun. And Dead Man's Chest falls into the usual sequel trap of turning everything up to 11 except the character's depth. It is still great to see the last movie's characters return though. Jack continues to be loveable, even if he's turned the crazy up to 11 as well. And Will and Elizabeth are still just as adorably in love, but there's something else about them that bothers me in this one. It seems like since the last one both of them have made the full transition to acting like pirates, even having the skills of pirates. Since when did Elizabeth learn how to swordfight? But it really isn't a big deal as they kinda need to know those skills especially as they go into the next movie. Dead Man's Chest also introduces us to some new characters, most notably the new villains: Lord Beckett and Davy Jones. They both provide some well needed foils for the other characters in the film, but they don't really get any depth until the next installment. There are a couple ways in which Chest is better than Black Pearl. Firstly, the action gets a lot cooler and more ridiculous. As I said, everything in this movie is amped up to 11, including the action. The special effects are also vastly improved over the last one. Davy Jones and his fish crew still look real and this movie came out in 2006. Another thing that I haven't heard anybody talk about is the music's improvement. While the first movie has a great score, it wasn't till Dead Man's Chest that Hans Zimmer came on as composer and he adds some fantastic and classic Pirates tracks, including Jack Sparrow's very own theme and others. Seriously, if you pay attention as you watch the first two movies, you'll notice the music change. In the end, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest provides more of the charm, thrills, and action that audiences loved from the first one. And you can't deny that the Kraken is bloody awesome...
½ May 25, 2017
Although not as fresh as its predecessor, this sequel still maintains the element of fun. It does not disappoint when its terrific action set pieces and Depp's charismatic performance are on screen.