Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

½ June 2, 2017
Why do they keep making these?
½ June 1, 2017
Hay more Pirates of the Caribbean! Jack Sparrow returns on a new Adventure we will meet Blackbeard the Pirate that all Pirates fear see what jack is up to on his new mention and I would say it was a good movie and as all ways a funny movie
½ June 1, 2017
The only things sticking out of this slogfest are *Spoilers* Barbossa finally getting a worthy ship of his own and possibly the mermaid set piece. Jack is just not made to be a lead.
jamrcla
May 31, 2017
After At Worlds End was just about good enough to keep things a float (No pun intended) We hoped they would leave things alone but nope they carry on milking and milking and now thanks to the lack of returning cast and lack of change we have this very average film, The plot was ok but it was nothing new, It was predictable and the action scenes were very boring, Johnny Depp did an ok job in carrying the movie but we could tell he has lost interest in this role and is only in it for the very big paycheck, The effects were very good but the 3D wasn't anything special, Ian McShane really didn't Convince me as the villain at times and we all know the villain is what makes film, The pointless love story between Philip and Syrena was trying to replace Will and Elizabeth's love story but for me that was the one part of the Pirates movies I hated so why do another one that was just a time filler really, It's a shame the declining quality of the sequels have given this franchise a bad name but that's Disney for you.
½ May 31, 2017
Really? People hated THIS movie? I don't get it. I like these complicated plots, I'm able to get through them just fine. Maybe I just have a better attention span.

9/10
½ May 31, 2017
On Stranger Tides fails to deliver what it promised, and sadly isn't even entertaining. Johnny Depp is still good, but felt a little tired, and all the other characters are completely flat, and so does the intire plot of the movie. A forgettable addition to the 'original' trilogy.
May 30, 2017
Plot holes and logic leaps fill this entry into the Pirates franchise. It definitely lacks the grandeur of the earlier films, but is still fun in its own way.
May 29, 2017
Went to watch this fourth instalment of the adventures of our dear Jack with my sisters in 3D!
It's a cool sequel, a bit different from the three first but enjoyable! I thought the cast was great as always and the various sets pretty cool!
Penelope Cruz is a welcome addition to the story as a former love interest.... gives a bit of exotism to this film!
I guess we'll probably be granted with a number 5 & 6 so let's see what's next in the adventures of our favourite Pirate!
May 29, 2017
Very fun to watch.
5/29/17: Watched with the kids.
½ May 28, 2017
Probably the least of the four at its time of release, but the addition of Blackbeard is a nice touch to give some historical perspective.

5/29/17 - home
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Una secuela absolutamente innecesaria, que no toma a la franquicia en ninguna nueva dirección, que solo rellena el film con carismáticos personajes que te hacen pasar un momento entretenido.
Better than the 3rd one.
May 28, 2017
Franchise fatigue has hit this series. Or hell maybe it's because Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides took too long to come out (4 years after the previous film), or maybe it's because they went down on the budget (300 million previously to about 175-230 for this one). There's a lot of factors, but the one truth to all of this is that this movie isn't very good. Gone are Will and Elizabeth and in return we have a self sufficient story here that just follows Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). As was hinted at the end of At World's End (2007) this film centers around the search for the fountain of youth. After finding out that the Spanish have found the location of the fountain of youth the English hire Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) to lead an expedition to get to the fountain before the Spanish. Jack is taken in by the English and forced to help Barbossa, but in typical Captain Sparrow fashion he escapes and runs into an old flame by the name of Angelica (Penelope Cruz) who has been posing as Jack and recruiting people for her ship. Well turns out not is all it seems. Angelica turns out to be the first mate and daughter to Captain Blackbeard (Ian McShane). Angelica uses Jack and his compass to find the fountain so that a prophecy for seeing Blackbeard's death won't happen. So it's a race to the fountain of youth where the crews need certain items for the fountain to work which include two silver chalices the tears of a mermaid and a soul to take! Anywho, although this may sound like a great story the plot itself is one of the weak points of this film. There's a lot of great action sequences don't get me wrong, but the movie drags too many times. There's literally filler throughout the film. Whether it's forcing the terrible romance between Jack and Angelica, or another subplot involving a missionary named Philip (Sam Claflin) and a mermaid named Syrena (Astrid Berges-Frisbey) who I'm assuming here would have had bigger roles in sequels if this movie had done better. Blackbeard never feels like a really good villain (especially after such a great job by Davey Jones in the last two films). And then of course there's Penelope Cruz. Man she can get very annoying in practically every scene. I don't know if her character was just written down for that, or if maybe she's just overacting, but fuck was this one a miss. This is a miscast if I've ever seen one! It's hard to recommend this one especially when it's not good! The first three are solid, but with the newest film coming out Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017), I'm not exactly sure how much of this movie will even connect. Worth just a rental at the very least.
½ May 28, 2017
some cool scenes and the addition of a great new villain. not as much goofiness and madness as the 3rd movie, which is saying something since there was a good amount of it in this. i don't know why they do that with the action scenes. they just make it whimsical and unrealistic. so many pointless story lines with characters you don't care about. i was not invested in the story at all. this movie is pretty useless (2 viewings)
½ May 27, 2017
After the original trilogy, there wasn't much story left to tell with Will and Elizabeth, so Disney wished to continue the franchise putting a heavier focus on Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. On Stranger Tides featured Sparrow at the center of everything, which can be a good and bad thing.

I don't necessarily think it was the best idea to make Sparrow the only character with significant depth, but I also don't think having the story involve mermaids and an overly powerful supernatural villain either. The Pirates films at their best when the stakes are high but are also grounded with some realism. One of the reasons At World's End is a much better film is because there are stakes in that film. William's sacrifice feels earned because we've been with these characters for a few films. I never connected to anyone in On Stranger Tides because the writing never makes a considerable effort to flesh out the characters. The efforts that are made aren't very committed.

As a standalone sequel, which is essentially what this film is, On Stranger Tides is far from awful. It has plenty of fun swashbuckling action scenes that the franchise has always presented. Ian McShane is pretty good as Blackbeard, though he doesn't really compare to anything Bill Nighy or Geoffrey Rush did in the original trilogy. But the film itself presents a far goofier tone than any of those films. Sparrow is even more over the top (believe it or not) and thus removing any human connection to the characters.

I think it's best to treat this entry as a distant cousin people choose not to acknowledge at a party, because it has next to nothing to do with any of the other films (even the most recent film, Dead Men Tell No Tales). There are flashes of the Pirates we know and love but it's nowhere near as grandiose or as magical as its predecessors.

+Flashes of greatness

-Forgettable

-Characters are getting a little too over the top

5.6/10
May 27, 2017
The first Muppet Treasure Island was better.
May 27, 2017
The worst POTC by far, On Stranger Tides cannot survive without the added talents of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
May 26, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides can be summed up in one quote from the movie: Angelica says to Jack, "You haven't changed!" to which Jack responds, "Implying the need."
½ May 26, 2017
It is disappointing in many ways, but still a watchable film. They do not shy away from ridiculous scenarios, but it is not enough to completely take you out of the film. Each actor and actress does his or her best with what they have, but it is a serious step down from the original movies. Just ended up being completely average as a whole. Blackbeard was okay as a villain, but the film seemed to be missing that spark that the original trilogy had.