Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

June 20, 2017
This is the continuation of Captain Jack Sparrow, it introduces some new characters, but they did not stick with me the same way as the characters in the first 3 movies. It's nice to see some characters from the original 3 movies come back, but it does not live up to the name Pirates of the Caribbean.
June 20, 2017
This movie was alright but it isn't as good as the first three movies. I enjoyed that Jack was his normal self, funny charming and all the sorts, but I did miss Will and Elizabeth.
½ June 18, 2017
This movie is a SLIGHT improvement upon the last movie, but is still not worth your time. Skip this atrocity.
½ June 17, 2017
Lacks the imagination of the first 3.
June 17, 2017
Thought is was good.
June 14, 2017
On Stranger Tides is the fourth film in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and possibly to worst of them all.

I was disappointed in it for a few reasons.
1. It was trying to just be a fantasy movie instead of an adventure movie.
2. It was just boring.
3. It didn't know what it was.

It relied a little too heavily on visuals. They were not bad, there was just too much of it. There were moments that felt like the last Narnia movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I almost remember nothing else, but to say that the movie is bad is not right. None of these movies are necessarily bad, they just stopped trying.

Over all. On Stranger Tides tried to bring back the charm of the first film, but it didn't know how. 2/5 stars
½ June 10, 2017
I love movies of this genre, and enjoyed watching this specific film, however it doesn't match up with the first film. The depth of the story and character development both are shallow. The film focuses too much on the action and CG buy leaves too much out for it to be compelling for watching again.

Worth watching. If others were watching it, I'd join, but I wouldn't go out and pink this film.
June 10, 2017
Looks the same.. feels like no-one cared.
½ June 9, 2017
"On Stranger Tides" is just awful. The story isn't as interesting as the previous three, the new characters are bad developed, lazy and have no carisma like Jack Sparrow or even as Gibbs. It's boring, it's slow, it's lame, it's doll and smetimes there are some really stupid moments where Rob Marhsall just decided to stop outta nowhere then continuing.
June 9, 2017
It's not as bad as everyone says. It's just missing the playfulness of the first three films. But i must confess that Penelope is much better than Keira Knightley ;)
½ June 8, 2017
There's the Jack I know.
½ June 7, 2017
Stranger Tides is just...nothing. Not exciting, not creative, not interesting, not smart, not good, not even terrible. It's a rusted buoy adrift on a motionless sea, only less poetic. At this point, Depp knows the Jack Sparrow character so well, he can play him without trying...which is exactly what he does here: not try. When we all cried, "THESE MOVIES ARE CONVOLUTED AND PRETENTIOUS!", Disney clearly listened. Unfortunately, they overcorrected with this overly straightforward and simply stupid outing.
June 7, 2017
Your genius will be so missed, Verbinski. Without keira and orlando, who were a great loss, this movie was created with a handicap compared to the others and so I am very impressed of how good it turned out. I honestly don't think it deserves that flop it endured. It is as funny, dark and imaginative as the others and has a magnificent ending. Penelope cruz's arrival in this franchise is a total blessing, I love her character and was very disappointed to not see her in the fifth movie, which sucks to me compared to this one.
½ June 6, 2017
This movie is weirdly unfunny and the sexually charged cannibalistic mermaids make it just creepy. This movie franchise constantly pushes the boundaries and it seems to have forgotten how to do so. With Jacks mission to live forever and find love you weirdly don't know how to feel. Plus we are not used to this protagonist showing feelings and it should have remained that way. In the end the main question is, Has this franchise wore the humor away?
½ June 6, 2017
I want my money back its sad to say
I wouldn't recommend this movie to any one
June 4, 2017
Ok movie. While the action sequences are well-choreographed and Depp is as charming as ever as Sparrow, the story is just nowhere to be found in this one and the sense of adventure is severely lacking.
June 4, 2017
Good for the first 3 quarters of the show but a poor ending hurts the whole movie.
½ June 2, 2017
Why do they keep making these?
½ June 1, 2017
Hay more Pirates of the Caribbean! Jack Sparrow returns on a new Adventure we will meet Blackbeard the Pirate that all Pirates fear see what jack is up to on his new mention and I would say it was a good movie and as all ways a funny movie