Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Reviews

January 14, 2018
The music, the storyline and the amazing performances by geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp truly make this film underrated.
January 9, 2018
Who would have thought that a ride movie would end up being a blockbuster hit, after failing with haunted mansion, the country bears, mission to mars, tower of terror, and tomorrow land, they were bound to hit pay dirt. Johnny Depp is responsible for bring this pirate movie to life, while it is fast paced and overly complex its a fun watch.
January 8, 2018
This movie is crazy fun. It is filled with cringe-worthy camp and poor dialogue, but it all adds to its charm. The characters (well, most) leap off the screen and remind you: this is what fun is like.
January 3, 2018
This first installment of the Pirates of The Caribbean contains many great action pieces, cool sword battles, nice special effects, large/beautiful set designs, superb performances from its cast (especially Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom) and contains expert direction from Gore Verbinski. A swashbuckling good time for all!
January 2, 2018
Superb entertainment, and Johhny Depp is actually as good as they say he is. In THIS film.....
December 31, 2017
A ship-sailing, hearty of a movie that will have you hungry for more treasures. Johnny Depp plays the comedic, but smater-than-you-think crewless captain who goes from what most folks assume is a bloodthirsty parasite for treasure to a more caring-like hero. As for the film, it is quite well done and clever compared to a more mediocre pirate film where X marks the spot that reveals the valuable chest buried deep. With top notch british acting and whimsical music, The Curse of the Black Pearl is certainly one pirate story that you may almost never forget. 7.5 out of 10.
December 30, 2017
This movie is fun, unique and clearly a timeless classic.
December 27, 2017
The first one is the best. I still remember seeing this movie when it came out in theaters. Lives up to today. Has great rewatchability.
December 21, 2017
I swear there were ninjas in this movie! PIRATES VS NINJAS!
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl nos ofrece un magistral trabajo de producciˇn, vestuario y sonido. Una fantßstica aventura genial para todas las edades, sin embargo, para audiencias serias nos queda un desazˇn respecto a la puesta de escena teniendo en cuenta con el material con el que se trabaja.
December 18, 2017
This movie was fun and action packed. Loved the score.
December 10, 2017
Interesting and decent for a family flick.
December 2, 2017
Dopo aver visto e rivisto l'intera trilogia dei Pirati dei Caraibi per almeno una ventina di volte, ecco che mi ritrovo a scrivere qualche pensiero anche su questa serie di film, che ha influenzato gran parte della mia infanzia e non solo. Anche se ritengo che tutte e tre le pellicole stiano allo stesso livello sotto tutti gli aspetti, questo primo capitolo aveva il compito pi¨ rischioso: introdurre per la prima volta sul grande schermo i leggendari personaggi che ne faranno parte. E' questo il punto di forza di tutto il film, i personaggi vengono presentati con estrema cura e fin da subito lo spettatore riesce ad essere coinvolto emotivamente nei loro confronti. L'introduzione pi¨ sensazionale Ŕ ovviamente quella di Jack Sparrow, giÓ entrato nella storia del cinema grazie al perfetto bilanciamento del suo carattere e all'interpretazione magistrale di Johnny Depp. Il tutto viene legato da una sceneggiatura fresca, sopra le righe e ancora divertentissima dopo numerose visioni, con una regia curata di un grande regista, che riesce a dare un tocco personale a tutto il film in generale.
November 30, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl was based on a ride found in Disney world, however, they managed to make an unforgettable, mind blowing, and truly Epic movie. This movie has a variety of stars such as Johnny Depp ( Edward Scissorhands), Orlando Bloom (Lord of the rings trilogy), Keira Knightly ( Love Actually),Geoffrey Rush (Shakespeare in love), and is Directed by Gore Verbinski (The Ring). The plot of the story is about Captain Jack Sparrow, a captain who has been betrayed by his crew is in need of assistance to get his ship back from his betrayers. At the same time, young silversmith Will Turner, is in love with Elizabeth Swann, and when Jack's old companions kidnap her, he must join Jack on his daring mission to help Jack retrieve his Boat and rescue his love. This is a fun, funny, action packed thrill ride that will have you at the edge of your seat from the first scene to the final one. This is a film you must watch if your an Indiana Jones fan or in the mood for a good laugh and great action. A very enjoyable movie not perfect, but without a doubt a very memorable and fun movie that will be remembered for a long time.
½ November 21, 2017
Great exciting adventure.
November 20, 2017
I LOVE this one; it's just got everything that a classic and original pirate tale could have! Johnny, Orlando, Keira, and Jack Davenport are just stupendous, truly. And I listen to the soundtrack when I need a pick-me-up.
½ November 19, 2017
"Even I love Johnny Depp, and I'm male," a previous reviewer declares, tongue in cheek. Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, but there's no doubt whatsoever that when I lost my heart to this film, Johnny Depp's outrageous Cap'n Jack Sparrow had almost everything to do with it. I don't normally review 'current' films, so the very fact that I'm writing this highlights an almost unprecedented event - after endless failures, Hollywood has finally rediscovered the spirit of the classic swashbuckler movie.

With hindsight, I think the one brilliant decision that was made at some point - given a modern production environment - was to *separate the roles* of hero and swashbuckler. You can then have your worthy Costner-type juvenile lead, as required, who has to Come To Terms with his Past (although his eventual fate is a trifle unexpected in conventional terms...) - *but* you can also have your essential and irrepressible swaggering rogue (of course, he totally steals the film from the moment he first appears, but *that's* no hardship!)

The moonlight special effects were overdone, in my opinion - not that they aren't believable, but that they would have been more effective if used more sparingly, for occasional flashes of nastiness rather than solid minutes of battle. However, that's a minor niggle. The stunts are energetic, highly satisfactory, *not* computerised, and on occasion even carried out by the stars :-)

The other saving grace of the production is its humour - not that there aren't a few over-arch knowing references, but on the whole it manages to send itself up without suspending disbelief in the process. Jack Sparrow's first arrival on the scene (with total aplomb aboard a steadily-sinking boat) is a prime example, as indeed are the vast majority of subsequent scenes involving this character...

The basic Romance and Rescue structure is satisfactory enough, with the addition of the requisite Feisty Female for the 21st century (though I felt the character would have been a little more historically plausible if she had been a little less liberated - she clearly possesses a stronger character than her young man, she doesn't have to strive to be his physical equal as well...) However, it is the pirates themselves who really make the film, simply by being a pack of unreconstructed and uninhibited villains (from the Jeffrey Farnol School of Historical Dialect) who are far larger than life and totally unselfconscious about it. To quote the opening words of the 'Guardian' review: "we have been waiting [50 years] for a modern pirate film featuring someone who, in all seriousness, actually says the words, or perhaps the two-syllable single word: 'Ah-harrrrr!'"

Jack Sparrow, as swashbuckler extraordinaire and consummate rogue (of course, totally honest in his own way... ahem) is the main attraction of the entire film. Not so much loopy as totally round the bend - outrageous and unpredictable (there is a running gag throughout the first part of the film where he is repeatedly described as "the worst pirate I've ever seen", as in "the worst at it", only for the preposterous tactics in question to prove spectacularly successful).

This character saves the hero in more ways than one - without him, the film would be another "Mask of Zorro", a rather stodgy attempt to update an old favourite for modern-day sensibilities and compensate with more and flashier sword-fighting (swashbuckling is not *about* fighting! It comes into it, yes, but it's not the point.) But together, the pair work off one another beautifully - reliability and inspired lunacy, self-doubt and cocky flamboyance, dogged devotion and shameless self-interest. The only question is which, precisely, is the sidekick...

There are two beginnings to this film, neither of them bearing any relation to the wooden costume-drama-by-numbers prologue that actually opens the movie. The moment when events start to move (it could scarcely be less subtle) is signalled by the swell of the theme music for the first time at Sparrow's initial appearance. But for me the moment when the film really took off was in that instant during his first escape, when he seizes the rope and swings up, up, and out, in a classic swashbuckler move from the past that brought it all flooding back... and my heart flew up after him into my throat, and remained enjoyably in that position until the end of the movie, when the audience began spontaneously to applaud.

The film is far from perfect - characters like Captain Norrington (*please* - 'Commodore', like 'Prime Minister', is a job description, not a form of address!) and the Governor are little more than pantomime stereotypes, with only frustrating hints of humanity to indicate that they do after all have potential denied them by the script. Annoying anachronisms slip in - "it's okay", "I was rooting for you" - most of the nautical jargon comes out with about as much sign of comprehension as a phonetic rendition of a foreign language, and Sparrow's one precious charge of powder gets soaked through often enough in the course of the plot to be utterly useless by the end. Both hero and heroine come across as wooden and thankless roles. Orlando Bloom may be costumed to look increasingly like Errol Flynn during the course of the film (was it my imagination, or does he spend it gradually cultivating a duplicate of that famous moustache?), but, alas, any resemblance ends there.

But then it doesn't really matter. It is Depp, not Bloom, who has inherited the mantle of Flynn and Fairbanks in this film. Jack Sparrow was the character who caught my imagination - and, since I'm extremely impressionable, also had a distinctly peculiar effect on the way I stood and walked for several hours later. And there's not many films can say *that*..!  ay.I am nearly fifty years old. A sober grown man. With children. Children with whom I have now sat through hundreds of movies. Many of which I have enjoyed. And I am not completely hardened in my sophistication. The opening music to The Lion King brought tears to my eyes when my little ones were but wee tots. But still, these are after all just children's movies. In another life, I would never have seen them. And, really, one can't take such movies too seriously, can one?

And so, this summer, after the ritual badgering, I dutifully trudged into yet another Disney "adventure" movie. Named after that tired old ride in Anaheim I first went on in 1965. I mean really, how much can you expect?

And then, it happened. The swirling intoxication. The stunned feeling. What? Who? How? Was this a movie? Or a religious experience? Perhaps more like an addictive experience...

I cannot remember ever willingly paying to see any movie not starring a relative of mine more than twice, and I can count those movies on one hand. I have now seen "Pirates" four times. The only thing keeping me from seeing it again is the sense that this whole thing is just getting out of hand. I cannot get enough of it. It's like walking into a painting that you never want to come back out of. My children ask, with a note of concern in their voices, "Dad, you really like Pirates of the Caribbean a lot, don't you?"

And that Depp fellow. My God. I never had any idea who he was, but his name sounded like something created for a pubescent cover-boy for magazines published to hook thirteen year-old girls on make-up and bad music. Wasn't Depp the name of some hair-goo product back in the 60s?

I am a straight male. I have several good friends who are gay, but have never fantasized about any gender but the female. But now I understand how women can experience swooning crushes on male film stars. He is simply extraordinary. So sly, so seductive, so canny! I read an interview in which Depp said he went through a slight depression when he had to stop playing Captain Jack Sparrow. I can see why. His inventiveness and sheer pleasure in inhabiting the character come through in every frame. How can I admit to my children that I now troll through fan websites about a former teen heart-throb?

I often don't even watch the Academy Awards, and I certainly never have any emotional investment in who wins.

Except for this year.

Go Jack.

And, in a time when many big-budget movies are little more than a hodge-podge of loosely- connected "money shots" this movie puts all the pieces together, with a sense of fun and light-heartedness in special effects that are simply dazzling. I find myself laughing with dizzy appreciation when Barbossa barks out, "You'd best be believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner, you're in one!" and the grinning skeletons come into view, with Badelt's pounding score keeping time to the beat of their maniacal deck-swabbing. And then there's the scene of the pirate-ghouls slithering up from the darkened sea on the mooring cables of the Dauntless, like infernal cats stalking their prey.

And now to the music. I can just hear the effete aesthetes dismissing this score, as Mr. Zimmerman anticipates with his winking "overproduced by" credit on the cover-liner. "Bombastic." "Overdone." "Absurdly Stupendous."

Well, perhaps it is, for those who spend their lives evaluating such things. To me, it is absolutely transporting. I first listened to it while doing a work-out on a rowing machine and found that I tripled my usual distance. It was like mainlining some hazardous tachycardic amphetamine.

Once again, the children were wondering, "What's up with Daddy? Is he OK?"

Perhaps I am just losing my grip, having an adolescent movie get to me this way. But when those final credits roll, and Captain Jack narrows his eyes and says, "Now, bring me that horizon. Drink up me hearties, yo ho" and the music swells ... it is difficult to put into words the effect it has.

At this point my children have to yank me forcibly from the theater, lest I persist in watching the credits to the bitter end, and bid good-bye to the little monkey once more, wiping tears of exultation from my eyes.

This is not just another "entry" in the summer blockbust sweepstakes. It is an exquisite work of fantasy and inventiveness, a true classic, on the order of "The Wizard of Oz." I do hope Depp's performance garners not just awards, but a place in the pantheon, something we old fogies -- and our gently fogeying children decades hence -- will show to our children and grandchildren like a revealed treasure. I cannot recall any movie having such an effect on me.
November 18, 2017
Comedic film, and a comedic plot. Who's not to love Jack Sparrow? He's a clumsy and risky guy, making his actions make sense. Some flaws, but a great movie for all to enjoy!
November 12, 2017
Fun, thrilling, and well-acted, The Curse of the Black Pearl is one of Disney's best live-action films to date. Johnny Depp delivers probably his best performance as Captain Jack Sparrow, and Geoffrey Rush is perfect as Captain Barbossa. The action is exhilarating and entertaining while surprisingly kid-friendly. At the end of the day, this film set the bar so high that its sequels had very little chance of reaching it.
½ November 12, 2017
Magnificent film. The performances of Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are sublime.