Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Reviews

March 23, 2017
Somewhere back in the mists of time, around twelve (or thirteen) years ago I found myself watching Disney's 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The curse of the black pearl' (to use the full and somewhat long title.) and thoroughly enjoyed the silliness of it all and the whole swashbuckling adventure.

Perhaps it is my cynical, and jaded mind, perhaps it is the less than stellar sequel that ruined it for me, or maybe I just grew out of it. But this time around the black pearl didn't quite resonate with me. It's still quite fun, and i find the wooden acting of the Orlando/Kiera partnership is just as awful as was in 2003. Bloom in particular looks confused like he has just discovered the inner meaning of the universe. Or soiled himself, and doesn't know what to do.

I still however enjoy Johnny Depp's ridiculous over acting, and he still arguably has one of the greatest cinematic entrances ever. What little Caribbean sunshine you see really is beautiful too. But the fact that I know what comes after all this doesn't quite leave me. And I'm not sure I like it.
March 20, 2017
A fun if flawed movie.
Grade: C+
March 20, 2017
A fun fantasy action flick with stand-out performances from Depp & Rush, backed up by stunning sets, costumes & production value in general. Cardboard storyline of Bloom & Knightley can be overlooked - shame about the sequels (reminiscent of the Matrix trilogy in that respect)
½ March 14, 2017
An interesting story, well filmed action with great peformances but the building up to the twist needs to be told better
½ March 6, 2017
Although it is overly long and there are some things in it that are unnecessary and don't make much sense, I have to say "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" still holds up to this day. It is solidly directed (kudos to Gore Verbinski) and competently made, a lot of the practical effects and visual effects do not feel dated, but more importantly, the film wouldn't have worked without Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. He makes this character so charming and likable, and the film wouldn't have been as fun as it was if he had played it straight. The action in the final act is a lot of fun, and Hans Zimmer's iconic theme song totally enhances the experience. I do have some major issues with the film, and one of them being the first 35 minutes. Everything that happens in here have absolutely nothing to do with the main story, and I just thought it could've been a lot shorter. Also, there are some events that make no sense in terms of plot, and I was slightly bored when that was happening. But overall, I have to admit I had a good time watching the film. It is a perfectly enjoyable family entertainment.
March 5, 2017
Grade - B+
Wonderfully exciting, incredibly well-acted and featuring witty dialogue throughout, 'The Curse of the Black Pearl' is as entertaining as you get, and manages to overcome a slightly disjointed narrative and overlong running time with the aid of some dazzling visuals executed perfectly at the hands of Gore Verbinski.
½ March 4, 2017
"Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl" is an exciting and quite entertaining adventure that manages to fall into the same hole your mundane blockbuster already have been trapped inside. However it bring a lot of fun to the screen too!
February 23, 2017
"A brilliant all round film that everyone should enjoy."
½ January 17, 2017
Very pleasantly surprised by this. Has something for everyone.
January 17, 2017
the best just love it
January 8, 2017
Brilliant, if only the POTC series stayed as a single film, instead of a series
January 7, 2017
A great movie to start of a good movie series! It had some really cool and funny parts that made it a great movie! I loved it!
December 7, 2016
AWESOMEEEEE!!! LOVE JACK SPARROW!!!
½ November 25, 2016
Over a decade later, this feels overly long and over-hyped with a needlessly complicated plot. However, as silly swashbuckling adventures go, this remains one of the most fun and well-styled films out there. Captain Jack Sparrow is still amusing and iconic, even if half his lines are overused catch phrases.
½ November 21, 2016
You have to love this one.
½ November 21, 2016
best in the series hands down
November 20, 2016
La original y la mejor de la saga!!! SAVY
November 17, 2016
Disney are primarily known for their animated films that are executed perfectly with your typical stories of love, friendship and redemption - however when the studio approached live-action films, whilst the majority of them (like Mary Poppins) did fantastically well, they weren't on par with the likes of their animated tales, that was until 'Pirates of the Caribbean' got released. Possibly one my favourite films of recent years, 'Pirates' is't your typical Disney kids movie, it mixes fantastic action scenes,rather terrifying horror and brilliantly-executed humour. The highlight of the film, well of the series in general, is Johnny Depp's Oscar-nominated performance as Captain Jack Sparrow, one of the finest film protagonists ever conceived. Accompanying the film is the epic scale cinematography and a completely heart-pounding and stunning film score from Klaus Badelt, one that Hans Zimmer built upon perfectly in the sequels to follow.
November 10, 2016
The best of the franchise. I remember this was a big deal back in the day. Depp gives the performance of his career.
½ November 3, 2016
4.5/5. An excellent film, that's funny, thrilling, chilling, and a lot of fun. It still hols up well over a decade later.