Pistol Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pistol Opera Reviews

½ November 28, 2013
"Pistol Opera" me recordó, en su puesta en escena, al teatro Kabuki, exagerando las emociones de sus personajes a través de encuentros en escenarios estilizados. La película contiene una vaga semblanza de narrativa, enfocándose en un gremio de asesinos y un complot para irse deshaciendo de cada uno de ellos. "Pistol Opera" es una interesante propuesta experimental japonesa cargada de simbolismo y acompañada de un extraño soundtrack. Recomendable.
April 26, 2013
Far too arthouse for it's own good...
½ March 7, 2013
This is easily the worst, most confusing movie I've seen in quite some time.

"Miyuki Minazuki" (Makiko Esumi), known professionally as "Stray Cat", is part of the Assassin's Guild, and ranked #3 in it.

She is given the job to kill the top assassin in the guild, known as "Hundred Eyes", and takes it.

This movie is very hard to follow, especially if you must use subtitles if you can't find a dubbed version.

The acting is horrible. Many times, the actors are overly dramatic, and act as if they should be on stage. There is a lot of rambling monologues that are quite confusing. None of the actors had any chemistry and appeared to be forced to work together on screen.

As for the camera work, it's not perfect. There are some shots with pans that are too dramatic and make no sense. Other shots are real good, and help with the story on a visual level.

For the subject of the story, there is very little violence and no blood in this movie. There is even little gun play in the film. Violence is kept to a minimum as well.

The soundtrack is forgettable. It reminded me of music heard in movies from the 1970's. I didn't feel that the music helped enhance the scenes at all.

There are some interesting visuals in this movie. At times I felt as if I was watching a stage play. A few times, the camera work helped enhance the scenes, but most of the time the shots were real typical.

This movie lacked the ability to keep my attention through out. I caught myself looking away from my computer screen numerous times because I was completely bored with the movie. I watched this movie on Hulu, and got even more confused when my screen saver popped up.

It was a hard movie to follow, especially since I had to read English subtitles. I really had a hard time following what was going on in this movie because my attention was focused on the bottom of the screen. It may have been the translation, but the dialog was pretty confusing at times, and I couldn't understand what was going on.

Unless you are into this type of movie, I have to say skip it. It isn't for every one.
November 16, 2012
Il film che ha ispirato Kill Bill. Suzuki si evolve andando al di là del cinema di genere e facendo un abile remake di se stesso. Una storia di sicari dove è evidenziata al meglio la visionarietà giapponese.
½ October 6, 2012
Not being familiar with traditional opera, I may have missed some references - but this movie ultimately was just bewildering - unraveling as it progressed.
March 28, 2012
An artfully crafted mess. I can't say why I liked it, but I did
February 16, 2012
This is like a free association comic book with live action panels. An assassin kills her way to become No. 1. The third act was surprisingly affecting after getting used to the style as we begin to realize the consequences. I'll probably never watch this movie again unless drunk, or with commentary, as there is a lot happening that probably needs an academic or cultural explanation to catch. I would like to see more movies like this with a larger production, but that's very unlikely.
½ September 20, 2011
As usual in artsy flicks, brain kills a little of the passion; but, unlike other artsy flicks, there is a noir and weird twist that keeps you entertained rather than sharing the suicidal tendencies of all the chicks in the movie. More theater and plastics and painted fresco than movie, but not-so-bad. There are pistols, after all.
½ September 5, 2011
Too much emphasis on a stupid plot to be a successful avant garde film and too avant garde to be any kind of an action movie. Beautiful to look at. Tons of interesting ideas. Boring. Over-long. The climax is like the most bizarre version of "Man with the Golden Gun" imaginable.
January 31, 2011
Very random and very weird. The language barrier didn't bother me too much, but I did feel like I was definitely missing something. Perhaps the Japanese definition of "Opera" is different from what I would consider it . . . they probably model it more toward the over-exaggerated Kabuki theater, which would actually explain a lot about this movie.
½ October 16, 2010
Interesting flick, filmed as a surreal play. Bizarre, captivating, beautiful.
December 27, 2009
Some compare it to Lynch, but it has none of the suspense or flow and the surrealism doesn't come close. This film was awkward with bad acting and amateurish camerawork. Some scenes were decent with humour or visuals.
½ September 19, 2009

September 19, 2009

September 8, 2009
Must be seen to be believed. John Woo Meets Un Chien Andalou.
½ August 29, 2009
I found it to be liken some kind o' "alice in wonderland" type o' trip through the experience o' an assassin that was bound by the principles o' loyalty. Quite the fine viewing for an individual seekin' something slightly deviant from the run o' the mill.
August 21, 2009
Branded to Kill is much better, although, did enjoy some of the Suzuki's stylish shots.
May 28, 2009
Shit, this movie was so surreal it made Branded to Kill look like Sesame Street. It's a letdown in that the film is kind of sort of not really remaking with a No. 3 killer fighting for life against a No. 1 killer or a Hundred Eyes killer, but without much at all in the way of any story or characters to much care about (and that girl that keeps begging for No. 3 to teach her how to kill, goddAMN she was annoying). It just moves along from one sequence after another- not without some truly remarkable movements with the camera and with color, so stylized that its like a Kabuki fever dream that the samurai in the dream scenes of Brazil might have - without much flow. It actually makes the argument, in an ironic way, that it might have been a good thing that Suzuki had the interference he had with the studios back in the 60s. With a little resistance he was unstoppable with stuff kile Branded and Tokyo Drifter. Pistol Opera sees his head completely unloaded, a colossal bag of visual tricks that can be dazzling but becomes baffling and, sadly on occassion, slightly dulling to the senses.
½ May 17, 2009
Highly stylized, visually stunning, surreal "action" flick (sort of). Don't expect a coherent or linear story, though. I'm still torn on this one. I think I liked it, but I don't know if I could recommend it.
½ April 30, 2009
this Japanese film is one of the weirdest films I've seen in years!