The Pistol - The Birth of a Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pistol - The Birth of a Legend Reviews

July 3, 2015
Great inspirational movie about the early years of "Pistol Pete". No quite as good as "Rudy", but an entertaining underdog story nonetheless!
March 14, 2015
Watched this to get the kids pumped for their first game today. It totally worked. While the movie itself was probably a little too long and didn't have the best acting (the narrator was hard to hear sometimes and definitely didn't catch my kids attention), the story was great and our kids loved it. It's on Netflix now!
PantaOz
½ January 17, 2015
I wanted to see this 1991 biographical sports film about the 1959 8th grade basketball season of Pete Maravich because I really appreciated his father Press Maravich - in real life. This was just a sugar coated version made with low budget, and probably as a result we got bad acting, bad editing, bad dialogues in a film which presents his early beginnings and the origin of the "Pistol" nickname.

The events were set in Clemson, SC, where the elder Maravich served as head coach for Clemson Tigers men's basketball. The story was told in such a fashion like it's intended as a bed time story - to make you fall asleep quickly! I found out that most of the time the only positive reviews are coming from Christian film clubs! The film is regarded as a family film - I will say for families who have no life!

There are some good advices and life coaching lines in it, but everything was presented the worst possible way! Skip it!
November 8, 2014
own it.. its a great movie to bad disc to digital won't wrk on it
January 9, 2014
If you're a basketball fan, you should know about Pistol Pete. Great movie about his younger years.
September 14, 2013
All I can say is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 8, 2013
One of the worst sports movies I've seen. The entire movie is laughably boring and the movie has some of the worst written dialogue I've heard in a while.
June 15, 2013
Awesome, Awesome movie. If you watched this everyday before you went to work/school, you'd excel and have the best attitude doing it
December 7, 2012
This is by far one of the best motivational movies for kids. It shows the drive that is needed to be the best. It's a must see for any parent/child relationship.
September 3, 2012
Great story, that's about it.
August 11, 2012
This is an amazing true story about the basketball star Pistol Pete Maravich!! Guier did an incredible job of portraying Pistol! This movie is certainly worth seeing!
April 20, 2012
Great movie about one of the greatest basketball players of all time.
½ April 6, 2012
One of Dad's favorite players, so I did a lot of Pistol Pete's ball-handling drills as a kid. :) Really unfortunate acting but always a good story -- and the actor was a great player!
April 3, 2012
It was a nice movie. My son really enjoyed it!
January 24, 2012
I really wanted to see a great movie about a great legend in the sport of basketball. Unfortunately this biopic about Pistol Pete Maravich was worse than most poorly directed Hallmark or religious movie. I could go into examples, but they were endless. Kudos to the lead actor though, Adam Guier, who obviously had some great training in ball-handling skills. I was also disappointed that they only showed a year in his life and made it as if that year defined him and not his college record-holding highest average score per game of more than 40 points. Very disappointed. Don't waste your time. Wait for someone to do a better one some day.
June 22, 2011
One of those Feature Films for Families that was okay when you were little but not so good now.
January 30, 2011
I was a Pete Maravich fan. I read a biography on Pete when I was a kid and hoped the film would at least be passable, if you will excuse the expression. Unfortunately, it was riddled with cliches and poor writing. The film only covers Pete's first year of a high school basketball (he was actually in eight grade). Characters were portrayed in stark, black and white terms, without little nuance or complexity.
½ January 10, 2011
Cheesy as hell, and basketball scenes are all the same and boring. I wish it was better cause Pistol was the man.
June 11, 2010
Pistol pete kinda dry in game play but movie is old
February 22, 2010
This deserves to be up there with the best of the best basketball films ever made. Very underrated. Being born in 1980, I never got to see Pistol Pete play (I've only seen a few plays of his on ESPN), but I remember my 10th grade English teacher, Mrs. Crew, having us watch this movie and all the black boys sitting around me were even amazed at how the boy, Adam Guier, could do so many things w/the ball so well at that age. If Pistol Pete had lived up to his full potential (i.e., been as good as he was in college - he still has the all-time record for most points per game average in a season - 40 something, that won't ever be beat) and played longer in the NBA than he did, it'd be him everyone knows and hears most about than Larry Bird. This movie was a pure joy to watch. Not only did I see it in the 10th grade, I watched it again last weekend.