Place Vendôme Reviews

• Oct 21, 2015

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Perhaps I was lost in translation. Probably it was the film looking broken between scenes itself. All I found is baffling however.

• Nov 08, 2010

Murky plotline, mildly interesting delivery by Deneuve. Deneuve, wife of a prominent diamond merchant/jeweler (Fresson), has been living in a state of permanent rehab. Once a diamond merchant herself, her nerves are shattered and her drinking out-of-control from being relegated to the role of housewife under her controlling spouse and his staff. Meanwhile, Fresson's been struggling to keep the business afloat, the flow of his stones from ever-more shady sources. He stashes several of the best jewels for Deneuve at home as her insurance policy and then commits suicide. Deneuve has to sober up quick, pull herself up by her own bootstraps to survive the firm's pending bankruptcy and ply her old trade in vending the stones. All the while, she's trying to learn the stones' history and dodge those who would prefer to have them, including the original owners who are charging hard to collect their due. As with many French films, plot development is subtle and, in this mystery, almost too subtle for even the most attentive viewer to devine. At points, it's unclear even how many stones Deneuve's actually holding. Accordingly, advance knowledge of the players is helpful. Thinly bearded Berleand is Fresson's brother, wanting the stones to set the business right - and to set Deneuve back into cold storage. Balding Bacri is a down-and-out repo man, reluctantly enlisted by the owners. Dutronc's already owned by the owners; his walking brace suggests they don't forgive easily. Tall & sexy Seigner is a salesclerk for the firm, Fresson's former mistress, both Bacri's and Dutronc's lover - as well as a patsy in Dutronc's scheming. Deneuve's still lovely, but her age is telling: she's hardly the Belle de Jour we all remember. Still her delivery intrigues, and it's her presence, more than the murky & complex plot, that is the film's best recommendation.

• Dec 13, 2009

Impresionante Catherine Deneuve, como siempre.

Impresionante Catherine Deneuve, como siempre.

• Nov 12, 2009

Deneuve is absolutely brilliant in this film, and this is actually one of my favorite films of all time. This is an awesome suspense piece and it matches some of Claude Chabrol's works. It really makes me wish Deneuve would work with Chabrol.

• Oct 16, 2009

A brilliant film, with a great performance of Deneuve and a witty, subtle regard to the Place Vendome's world of jewelry, money and bourgoisie.

• Mar 05, 2009

Catherine Deneuve, how do I love you? Let me count the ways! No, seriously-It's a scintillating tour de force. No, REALLY seriously--She's a shady, alcoholic Jewelress! She's like the aftermath of a Russian novel! LOVE!

• Jan 31, 2009

Catherine's best films.

Catherine's best films.

• Aug 20, 2008

Catherine Deneuve has a great performance in this film. I love looking at the relationships between the different characters and how Deneuve overcomes life's challenges.

• Aug 14, 2008

It is an ok movie, nothing much. It worths for Catherine Deneuve, belle toujours.

• Jul 29, 2008

excellent film, fantastic actors!

excellent film, fantastic actors!