The Plague of the Zombies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Plague of the Zombies Reviews

January 9, 2016
One of the older and "lac action" zombie movies. It's sort of has been good to get back into voodoo zombies again, after White Zombie (1932). The acting is good, it has it's good moments and share of a bit of badly done blood effects, but it can also get really boring, especially near the end. But overall, it's good and recommended !!
August 25, 2015
There's some fun stuff in here, but it's quite dated and a bit slow.
March 14, 2014
John Gilling's unbelievably behind-its-time Zombie flick is a creepy Cornish-set classic that could only have came from the guys at Hammer. More mysterious melodrama as opposed to murderous massacre, Gilling's film is like a small town noir with zombies in place of wrongdoers and sultry ladies, and no, as unique as it may be, it even half as exciting as it sounds. Far-fetched and stupendously schlocky, think Scooby Doo, if Fred had lady problems and anxiety issues.
½ March 12, 2014
(61%)
A really well shot and made (despite budget limitations) pre Romero zombie horror that still stands up quite well even today. It maybe a little let down by its rather slow pace but when the gore comes it really is ahead of its time with heads getting chopped off by spades and all other good stuff. The acting is fine along with the decent story as it is quite unique and not just about zombies attacking people. A must watch for Hammer horror fans and zombie movie fans alike, everyone else though maybe less so.
October 19, 2013
Superb voodoo based zombie classic from
Hammer with a twisted gothic plot, wonderful make-up & special effects, performances & a pounding soundtrack all serve this iconic film well.
½ September 19, 2013
Hammer's only stab at a zombie feature transcends its B-billed skin thanks largely to a superb, mist-enshrouded dream sequence about half-way through that was influential on just about every zombie flick made since (and certain elongated 80's pop videos).
August 12, 2013
Smarter than your average zombie flick.
June 30, 2013
Hammer tackles zombies (pre-Romero) in their typical gothic style with Andre Morell as the investigating doctor who comes to a small Cornish village after receiving a worrying letter from his former student, the local doctor. It seems that there have been more than a few deaths of young men who first suffered a strange malaise. Not coincidentally, the local squire has spent a significant amount of time in Haiti. Atmospheric and well-paced, although I longed for more chills.
June 30, 2013
There's no big names in this archetypal Hammer film, but it remains a sturdy effort from the horror studio.
½ June 15, 2013
Decent Hammer Horror from the 60's about the dead being brought back to life by a local rich man and his associates in order to work down the mines in a hard time for the community. Problem is, the zombies keep escaping and killing people so its up to a doctor and his daughter to try and save the town.
This actually pre-dates Night of the Living Dead and could be seen as one of Hammers most influential releases.Well worth a look for zombie fans.
April 30, 2013
Fantastic Hammer gem as well as a very influential film in the development of the the zombie sub-genre. Drawing more inspiration from Val Lewton than the usual Hammer offerings, POTZ offers a very atmospheric and creepy "undead via voodoo magic" plot. Gilling's direction is strong and the performances are good. The script is very effective and includes subtle commentary on English class issues which allow the film to work on more than just the visceral level. A must-see for Hammer fans as well as zombie movie aficionados.
½ April 19, 2013
One of the few zombie movies I actually fell asleep to. Only could hammer make a zombie movie more boring than an episode of masterpiece theatre. I know that zombie movies are supposed to have character development and talking in them but this has way too much and not enough of the zombie action. I know this came out before night of the living dead but when I see zombies throwing rocks at people it kinda takes me out of the movie. I'm not a huge hammer fan so I can tell the truth about hammer movies and that is, they were trying to make academy award winning historical pieces in their horror movies and those two things don't mix for me. They especially don't fit in with a zombie movie...sorry but I'm not a hammer ass kisser like most people who review this. The star and a half is for the zombie make up and thats about it.
½ October 26, 2012
The lord is punishing us for our sins

Local villagers start dying off at an alarming rate. The doctor contacts a local professor who arrives with his girlfriend and begins investigating the corpses; however, he quickly discovers the corpses are gone from the cemetery and walking the Earth at night. Who or what is raising the dead?

"What are you going to charge us with?"
"Bodysnatching I should think, sir."

John Gilling, director of The Flesh and the Fiends, The Mummy's Shroud, The Pirates of Blood River, and The Crimson Blade, delivers Plague of Zombies. The storyline for this picture was entertaining and I adored the zombies at the end. The acting was okay and the cast includes Andre Morrell, Diane Clare, Brook Williams, and John Carson.

"Are you being funny?"
"I'm not being funny. I'm just trying to mind my manners. I wish I could say the same for you."

I came across this movie while scrolling through Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and loved the idea of another zombie themed picture. I'm not a huge fan of the voodoo based zombies but I did like the make-up and the reanimation scenes. The film is just okay overall but the zombie scenes are pretty good. This is worth seeing this Halloween season.

"Something very wrong is happening in this village."

Grade: B-/C+ (6.5)
October 17, 2012
good hammer horror their first n2 zombies!
½ October 9, 2012
One of the most original and entertaining Hammer movies of the 1960's--Brisk, efficient Hammer offering!!
October 8, 2012
This appears to be one of the most underrated films I've seen in a while. The period-gothic setting perfectly serves this brooding, pre-Romero, Zombie flick.
½ September 24, 2012
Classic British Horror
September 16, 2012
Fascinating to see the zombie genre through the lens of Hammer Films. This is not George Romero. It's the classic hoodoo voodoo undead with lots of busty English lasses swooning in fear as zombies creep in the foreground and a couple of Sirs and Doctors fend 'em off with fire...and lots of it. Plague of the Zombies is definitely not the best of what Hammer has to offer but it's fun enough. VF.
½ July 28, 2012
Hammer horror at its best! I loved it... Seeing zombies wondering around in the 30's is something that I never thought I would see. Fabulous!
July 8, 2012
This movie starts with promising characters and set-designs. In the start you come to notice something astonishing going to take place, while I sincerely appreciate lighting work to keep plot murkier in mid 1800s. Film stands classic to subject of 'voodoo'. My only disappointment with this, was its climax, which was utterly quick and rushy.