Play It as It Lays Reviews

• Jan 02, 2017

Well I was hoping this would be a lot better than it was. Given the director the cast and the writer but I'm sorry to report it's a rather dog th well I was hoping this would be a lot better than it was. Given the director the cast and the writer but I'm sorry to report it's a rather dull affair. Here we have Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins together again after their parents in a much more interesting movie for the boys and here we have Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins together again after their pairing in a much more interesting movie Pretty Poison.

• Dec 19, 2008

Tuesday Weld is just as good in this film as Marlon Brando was in "Last Tango In Paris"- if not better. She inhabits Maria so quietly, so completely, you hardly even realize that you're seeing a great performance. I've been wanting to see this film for years because I had a hunch, and I was right. This is one of the great film performances of the 70's. I wonder how long Ms. Weld had trouble sleeping after wrapping this picture. The screenplay, by Joan Didion and her husband, captures the tone and the structure of the book perfectly, which I didn't think was possible. This film is very hard to find- but there are bootlegs out there. Track them down. You won't be sorry.

• Aug 11, 2008

Hollywood is evil and it destroys your soul, blah blah blah. Vaguely interesting mainly as a time capsule of both Hollywood and filmmaking in the early 70's, but overall...eh.

• Jun 27, 2008

Amazing 1970's L.A./Nevada/Hollywood time capsule with gorgeous photography, impressionistic editing, eye-popping fashion, memorable one-liners, and a pervasive and ultimately crushing ennui.

• Apr 14, 2008

Depressing and hollow, but interesting to see a rare film that isn't available on DVD or VHS. It's lure is that it is such a rare film.

• Mar 26, 2008

"I know what nothingness is, and I play anyway" an existential ride through Hollywood as an actress and her producer friend suffer with being and nothingness in this satirical look at the emptiness of "the Industry". A gem if you can find it.

• Feb 04, 2008

Never saw the movie. I read the book in college. It made a lasting impact on me.

• Oct 19, 2007

This is one of the most beautifully photographed films I have ever seen. It's cinematographer was Jordan Cronenwenth, who later shot Blade Runner. It's filmed very simply, an elegy which shows restraint and mastery. The other suckers who have commented here are impatient fools. This movie is a sophisticated masterpiece. You idiots should watch it again.

• Aug 27, 2007

Tuesday Weld and Tony Perkins star together again after Pretty Poison, which is a far better film. I had to watch this in three sittings because it was just boring. Too much talk, talk, talk -- though Tony's quirky jokes were pretty funny.

• Jun 17, 2007

I was led to believe that this was an underrated gem, and I love the book and Frank Perry so I figured that it would be. I was disappointed to find that it's just as boring, pretentious, and empty as its critics claimed in the '70s. It has gorgeous cinematography, though, and Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins are good.