Play Misty for Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Play Misty for Me Reviews

Page 1 of 2
Fernando F. Croce
March 15, 2010
Clint Eastwood's first film as a director, and first investigation into the anxiety at the root of the Eastwood persona
Top Critic
Jay Cocks
TIME Magazine
August 30, 2009
Eastwood displays a vigorous talent for sequences of violence and tension. He has obviously seen Psycho and Repulsion more than once, but those are excellent texts and he has learned his lessons passing well.
Jeffrey M. Anderson
Combustible Celluloid
July 30, 2009
Eastwood's camera is rarely misplaced, and he shows a talent for the thriller genre worthy of a comparison to Hitchcock.

April 8, 2008
The star chose to cut his teeth on this small-scale movie, and the result -- although inevitably dated by its terrible clothes and period ambience -- stands up well but only as good late night television viewing.

TV Guide
April 8, 2008
Much of the credit must go to Jessica Walter for her outstanding performance which somehow manages to be chilling while at the same time sympathetic.
Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/4
Top Critic
Variety Staff
April 8, 2008
For that 80% of the film which constitutes the story, the structure and dialog create a mood of nervous terror which the other 20% nearly blows away.
Top Critic
Dave Kehr
Chicago Reader
April 8, 2008
Clint Eastwood wisely chose a strong, simple thriller for his first film as a director, and the project is remarkable in its self-effacing dedication to getting the craft right.
Cole Smithey
August 24, 2007
Eastwood's imperfect debut movie is a thiller full of personality and zest.
| Original Score: 3/5
Rob Gonsalves
April 9, 2007
Clint's direction is sometimes shaky but usually assured, and he gets a bold performance from Jessica Walter.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5
Rob Fraser
Empire Magazine
December 30, 2006
The Man With No Name faces a whole lot of pain in Clint's thrilling directorial debut.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5
Top Critic
Tom Milne
Time Out
February 9, 2006
A highly enjoyable thriller.
Emanuel Levy
July 26, 2005
| Original Score: 4/5
Jules Brenner
Cinema Signals
July 25, 2005
| Original Score: 4/5
Philip Martin
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
March 9, 2005
| Original Score: 3/5
Michael A. Smith
Nolan's Pop Culture Review
January 8, 2005
Early Clint behind the camera shows the promise to come.
| Original Score: 4/5
Top Critic
Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times
October 23, 2004
There is no purpose to a suspense thriller, I suppose, except to involve us, scare us, to give us moments of vicarious terror. Play Misty for Me does that with an almost cruel efficiency.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/4
Steve Crum
Kansas City Kansan
October 23, 2004
Still quite effective stalker-thriller, has dated somewhat
| Original Score: 3/5
Jeffrey Westhoff
Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)
July 16, 2004
| Original Score: 4/5
Susan Granger
July 16, 2004
| Original Score: 5/5
James Sanford
Kalamazoo Gazette
January 25, 2004
Early, effective version of 'Fatal Attraction' theme
| Original Score: 3/5
Page 1 of 2