Play Misty for Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Play Misty for Me Reviews

½ September 5, 2017
Entertaining, but a bit unbelievable. There was also a tacky love scene with a waterfall that was so bad I was embarrassed for Eastwood.
September 3, 2017
The film has its moments, but is nothing particularly memorable. It's mostly noteworthy for being Eastwood's directorial debut.
August 25, 2017
Time hasn't been that kind to Play Misty For Me. Edgy and original for its time, this type of story has been done to death since and in quite a few cases, more effectively.
August 22, 2017
Eastwood's directorial debut is a thrilling adventure that gets more tense as every minute goes by. Sure you can see the age of the film by now, but Jessica Walter's performance as the deranged fan was top notch
½ August 21, 2017
While I feel the film has aged indefinitely, it packs enough punches to still be effective.
August 9, 2017
This still is probably the most frightening movie I have ever seen. However, I do not watch movies that are going to frighten and/or gore me to death. That said, this is probably much too weak a cup of tea for anyone these days. Jessica Walter was SO convincing in this movie, I have seldom wanted to see her in anything else. It's something about her eyes.
March 10, 2017
I love clint eastwood soooo. this is a thriller I've seen a couple times he's such a great actor interesting storyline:) && this was his first movie as director:)
January 5, 2017
Boring movie. Stopped paying attention because it did not entertain me. Just a boring thriller with an annoying lead actress and a bland Clint Eastwood.
½ December 22, 2016
Even if time hasn't done wonders for it, Play Misty for Me still retains a surprising amount of suspense and unpredictability with its long-lasting (now overused) formula.
November 20, 2016
Well, well, well....who knew Lucille Bluth was such a nutcase!

The first hour of this movie is absolute, stalker movie perfection but then the love montage between Eastwood and Donna Mills and overly long footage of the Monterrey Jazz Festival grinds everything to an unfortunate halt.

The twists aren't exactly revolutionary for today's audiences but I can only imagine how shocking and fun this movie probably was to those who got to see it fresh in 1971. For Eastwood's first effort behind the camera this ain't too shabby at all.
½ November 5, 2016
A taut thriller, with an outstanding performance by Jessica Walter. Maybe the best movie ever for showing off the beauty of the Monterey Peninsula ?
August 27, 2016
tedious. Sure, the thrills come, but only after over an hour of trying to understand (a) how Eastwood's character was ever employed as a DJ, (b) why anyone would be interested in the character, and (c) how Eastwood was ever employed as an actor. Walters' excellent work only accentuates Clint's woodenness.
½ July 28, 2016
You still can't fix crazy. So this is about a radio DJ (Clint Eastwood). Every time he spins, he gets a female caller (Jessica Walter) who requests that he plays the song Misty. They meet up in a bar one night and hook up, which turns out to be a gigantic mistake, given the fact that she is obsessive and completely out of her mind. I am a gigantic fan of the manly and forever squinting Clint Eastwood, but I am mostly familiar with his Westerns and not much else. I must confess that I thought that this was one of his cop movies, so I was understandably surprised when he hit the screen as a smooth talking radio DJ. I also didn't know that this had a very young Jessica Walter in it (this was a movie that I was truly unfamiliar with other than in name), and she is an actress who I somewhat thought was just born old a la Morgan Freeman. The movie that this most immediately reminded me of is Fatal Attraction, and you would be blind if you cannot connect the dots. It's funny, because you can go so long, thinking you watched the original template of something only to stumble on a precursor and realize that you've been completely wrong for years. For example, I thought Halloween was the original slasher until I watched Black Christmas, and I thought the same thing about that movie until I saw Peeping Tom. It's totally the same thing here... and there's nothing wrong with treading traveled waters, you just kind of know how it is going to go, because you've seen this movie before. You know the size of the situation right away once you see the instant attachment, as it is not something that any sane or rational person would just jump to. It's trashy, but it kind of sucks you in, because on a base level, everybody loves to be distracted by a soap opera if it is done right. This was just the right movie for me on a lazy Saturday afternoon dog sitting at an in-law's house. The way that Eastwood delivers lines is worth the price of admission in itself. He also directs as well, and he does a fine job, although there are a few minor technical things that I had gripes with, namely a few voiceovers over distant shots that feel awkwardly pieced together. This is a very valid argument on why you should always pass on crazy, and this is a fine movie for all of the Eastwood fans out there.
½ July 23, 2016
The blueprints for Fatal Attraction.
½ May 14, 2016
Good film which will surely ring a few bells with many poor geezers who have regretted a one night stand with one of the many women who have stepped across the line of being mentally unstable to complete nutterness.
½ February 23, 2016
There are too many signs of Eastwood's then-amateurism, but Jessica Walter's performance lives up to its reputation.
½ January 6, 2016
Awesome thriller, and great debut for Eastwood as a director.
½ December 18, 2015
Good effort for a directorial debut, the intrusive stalking was quite over the top.
½ November 30, 2015
One of the first, i guess, films about woman's stalking. Good debut of Clint Eastwood as a director. Leading actress played very impressively.