The Playboys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I tuned in because, I like Albert Finney
from what I saw so far
he's the best part
½ September 19, 2011
A beautiful romantic film with marvelous locations and great performances. Albert Finney owned the film... partially, with his superb portrayal of an alcoholic ruthless man; but Robin Wright was not only beautiful in this movie, she did an outstanding job, as well did Aidan Quinn.

I found the film quite reminiscent of John Ford's "The Quiet Man", at least in visual style and mostly because both are beautiful love stories set in a small Irish village. While Ford's film is an undeniable classic, this film is not far behind. It is much less known, but I think it's almost as good. It had as well little moments of comedy, especially the "Gone with the Wind" parody at the small theater, which was an extremely funny scene.

The film contained especially near the end, some really intense scenes, which were brilliantly done, mostly because of Finney's top-notch acting work.

Perhaps there have been many more films of this genre better than this, but still I consider this a very nice addition and a worth-seeing motion picture. Pure joy and enchantment.
½ September 19, 2011

May 10, 2011
Was an average drama of love attraction jealousy etc. Good performances but nothing spectacular in the story
½ February 8, 2011
The Playboys is low-key and disarming, and its appeal sneaks up on you. A film of surprising charm and resonance. By no means amazing, but an all-together watchable Irish treat.
December 11, 2009
A sweet little drama, though nothing special. About a young single mother in the 1952 in Ireland who is wooed by the town cop and by a man (handsome Aiden Quinn) from a traveling theaterical show.
July 16, 2008
Really nice story about the problems within an Irish community.
May 29, 2008
What can I say, the movie is ridiculously slow but Aidan Quinn is a babe.
March 26, 2008
Beautiful scenery. Great story!
March 9, 2008
This is a decent little movie focussing on love triangles and values in a rather rigid, days gone by Irish community. It all plays out well but with little surprises.
½ October 26, 2007
Very good at encompassing the pressures of Irish culture. What got me was Finney tumbling around drunk. Tragic.
½ October 16, 2007
A nice love story with a beautiful score.
September 8, 2007
The Playboys stars Albert Finney, Robin Wright Penn, and Aidan Quinn. Set in a small Irish town, in the 1950's, the story involves a young un-married mother, finds love when a band of travelling actors come to town. Albert Finney plays a bad cop who is in love with Wright Penn's character and stirs up trouble when she falls in love with one of the actors (played by Quinn). Not a bad movie, held my attention, but felt unsatisfied with the ending.
April 23, 2007
Love it, She stood to her guns adn refused to be shamed into marriage to a got for nothing wino who jus didn't get it didn't get love .
April 9, 2007
Interesting roles for Aiden and Robin... not enough build up to their relationship. Albert Finney is a great bad guy!!!
August 12, 2005