Played - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Played Reviews

April 19, 2016
The plot is impossible to follow, so I had no idea what was going on. It is also very boring... very very boring.
August 23, 2011
I was expecting a kind of Guy Richie-Type movie, but instead I got some fool with a camcorder. This movie had a decent script, good actors (although most of the big names were only doing cameos) and had a ton of potential. But everything just seemed to lack luster and became quite lost in translation unfortunately. Better luck next time.
½ July 22, 2010
An 87 minute waste of time. The story had so much potential and to have such a quality cast with perhaps some of the worst directing and dialogue is just aggravating to the viewer.
½ April 26, 2010
I saw cast list and especially Vinnie Jones, I thought great. Well it turns out to be the biggest load of rubbish I've had the misfortune to watch. The acting is especially bad. What more can I say. Unless you are kidnapped, Tied up and forced at gun point to watch this film, avoid like the plague
February 14, 2010
An attempt to combine the plot and style of Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie, which fails miserably. The plot is threadbare, the cinematography all over the place, the direction aimless. The acting, but for Gabriel Byrne, is rather woeful. Quite amazing when you consider the cast - Val Kilmer, Anthony LaPaglia, Joanne Whalley, Vinnie Jones.

Very very bad. Avoid.
October 10, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..........its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie.....i think that mick rossi, meredith ostrom, joanne whalley, bruno kirby, gabriel byrne, adam fogerty, andy nyman, anthony lapaglia,val kilmer, vinnie jones, george berg play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....i think that the director of this drama/action/adventue/thriller movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie....i think that the fight scenes n the gun shoot outs were good throughout this movie....this is a good thriller/gangster movie 2 watch n its a really enjoyable thriller movie 2 watch as its enjoyable movie
September 11, 2009
Rubbish. Very disappointed especially seeing how there are so many stars in this flick. I mean you got Vinnie Jones, Val Kilmer Anthony LaPaglia just to name a few. There are more but really in the end it focuses on Mick Rossi and a really long and drawn out story. It tries to be clever. Tries to reenact a couple scenes from Reservoir Dogs to an epic fail result. I enjoy English things but this really disappointing and boring needless to say. The only reason it got a whole star is because of Vinnie and Val even though they had like 10 minutes of screen time between the two of them.
September 3, 2009
The majority of this movie wasn't anything too special, but the last 1/3 or so really picked up and became a gritty little action flick. The open ending set to Erik Satie's beautiful "Gymnopedie No. 1" was cool.
August 23, 2009
I hate these movies when they try to have a big twist in the end. I don't even get what happened or why who did what and what for.
July 3, 2009
It's meant to be guerrilla film-making, with cheap, low-quality video and dialog that appears to be primarily improv. There are a lot of quality actors in the cast, and it does have its moments, but I think that this genre (gangster/caper/action) really needs to have a tighter script and tidier story-telling to work. I would have given this movie another star if it didn't have such a terrible ending (or lack thereof).
May 7, 2009
I really enjoyed this film. It was a pretty good, street film.
April 21, 2009
With dialogue that is mostly improvised, the "appeal" of Played resides mostly as an experiment in acting than it does as a form of entertainment fit for your average moviegoer. Call it a failed experiment.
½ April 13, 2009
You can tell that this movie was low budget. The production value isn't good. What is amazing is the well-written script and the fantastic acting. When everything is stripped away, that is when all you have is the acting. No gloss to augment the performance. No special FX to distract you that the lead wouldn't be good in community theatre. This situation is when Val Kilmer shines. He has two scenes, but is given alot to work with and he delivers. He would be in the conversation for best actor if he weren't overweight and had burned all his bridges in Hollywood. The end of this movie was really disappointing. They set up a great end, but it never comes. It ends pre-climax, and as we all know, that is just unsatisfying.
January 25, 2009
In a word........SHITE !!!!

Don't waste your time.
½ January 22, 2009
To be honest this movie was so bad i couldnt watch it all the way through. The character build up was probably the worst i have ever seen. The story jumps so fast that you have no time to build any relationship with any character or what is happening in the movie. The camera work and lighting are so ridiculously bad that i am not sure if they are doing it on purpose or if they are just so ignorant they didnt even notice that there are solar flares and spots whenever there is an exterior scene. I doubt that the director even knew what he wanted from this film because the editing is mixed with so many different styles that it makes no sense and very un-organized. The dialogue can kiss my ass. It is obviously a low budget film...but seriously? There are some random big names in this film. But i dont even know why they went through with this movie...come on. I really thought foreign gangster movies knew what they were doing. But after this movie i might start thinking differently. Sean Stanek please dont ruin anymore big names and crime films. I am begging you.
December 16, 2008
Did not do it for me.
December 14, 2008
Doesn't look like they had lots of money for that movie. Looks cheap and isn't very good. Reminded me sometimes of a Tarantino Fake. The story is a little bit confusing and the end is very aprupt.
Well besides all the bad stuff the film deserves its 2 stars for trying to be different.
October 30, 2008
Understandably the quality of this film, if indeed made for a low low budget is somewhat questionable, but the story is fast paced, fun and balanced by a great music score which takes you through the film and keeps things moving. The amazing thing is the number of cameo appearances by veteran actors, all of whom do a fantastic job at supporting newcomer Mick Rossi...(I actually lost count of how many stars were in this film). The highlight is Andy Nyman who steals the show in this one with his funny but loathing portrayal of Danny (and went on to do bigger movies right after incidentally). Vinnie Jones is superb and in contrast to the misguided comment above, appears in the film multiple times. Gabriel Bryne does an excellent job at popping up when you least expect it, and not to forget the auspicious Roy Dotrice who plays the crime lord to perfection. If you are looking for a glitzy hollywood factory movie, then this isn't for you, but if you like underground filmmaking which takes risks, delivers laughs and thrills and doesn't subscribe to the mainstream, then this is for you....and by the way, the story may seem confusing at first but if you think about it, it all makes sense....duh! Well done to the producers and the director for showing Hollywood that you don't need millions to pay named actors to be in films. Lastly, the footage of Val Kilmer alone is hilarious and worth watching the whole film....if indeed this was all improvised as stated it is pure genius and well done to capturing it on film. "Don't let them taco you Ray!" Anyways, at my video store the film has been on the new releases shelf for nine months now and is still there! So as for burying this little gem....I don't think so!
½ October 22, 2008
Extremely violent, and maybe I am stupid, but I found it hard to follow. I don't have any idea why anyone in my house even rented this movie. I watched it because I like Gabriel Byrne, but his part was minuscule.
August 7, 2008
Another Ritchie-wanna-be about London crime. Lacks any real zip to it though the acting is good.