Playing by Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Playing by Heart Reviews

March 16, 2013
My favorite movie prolly in the world, or at least in my top 3! Each story is in itself so smart, funny, and heart wrenching at parts. I love how it all comes together in the end!
March 12, 2013
I was so thrilled with this film! I didn't know much about it going into the theater. So I was totally blown away with the ensemble cast especially the scenes with Ellen Burstyn & Jay Mohr were heart breaking. And in the end all of the sub plots fit right into the main premise beautifully. Wonderful job all around!!!
February 24, 2013
I have never seen this. But Jessie can connect many actors using this movie!
January 6, 2013
One of my favorites.
December 15, 2012
My 2nd fav movie. The writing in this is BRILLIANT!!
December 15, 2012
OH MY GOD!! When I can dance about architecture I'll know my life is complete!
December 5, 2012
To my suprise this was good, Cheesy yes but also impressive
½ November 14, 2012
I love this movie...so many great parts...and characters
½ October 29, 2012
great cast but the movie is a bit of a cliche.
September 22, 2012
A very deep, touching, and funny film with a great script. Plus the actors are brilliant and their performances are even better. One of my favorite Jolie performance to date. I mean look at the cast too: Sean Connery, Ryan Phillipe, Gillian Anderson, Dennis Quaid, and the list goes on. It's probably one of the most overlooked and underrated films ever produced.
September 19, 2012
very nice movie, well-acted, well-directed, good scoring, cinematography and editing. i love it. needless to say that the story was really good.
September 17, 2012
"talking about music/love is like dancing about architecture".

Interesting mix of big name actors. fascinating. Relationships. Bloody complicated.

"I never knew happiness until I met your mom, and then it was too late..."
August 20, 2012
Play by Heart is a fairly entertaining and unconventional romantic comedy. The film follows several people throughout L.A., and the various kinds and stages of relationships that they're in. The cast is surprisingly good and includes Angelina Jolie, Ryan Phillippe, Gillian Anderson, Madeleine Stowe, and Sean Connery. The story is well written for the most part and has some interesting things to say about people and relationships. However, it takes on a few too many characters and forces itself a bit. While it has some issues, Play by Heart is a unique and entertaining film that has a good message.
August 5, 2012
whatever flaws it had, this was darn likable and charming. angelina jolie especially was a delight to watch as jo; she was hilarious. very enjoyable, this one!
August 4, 2012
Whenever Jon Stewart mocks his acting ability, I think of this movie as counter-evidence. The role of Trent obviously plays to his strength of verbosity, but he brought such charm and charisma to the role that I actually found Jon Stewart attractive...which I didn't think possible.
½ August 3, 2012
More weird than anything else. It jumped from character to character too frequently and at times the writing came off as alternately sanctimonious or hackneyed, but there was something that kept it somewhat interesting. (Not Ryan Phillippe, who is terrible.) The rest of the cast--highlighted by Sean Connery--turn in interesting, nuanced performances, and I think that's what does the trick.
June 23, 2012
A web of interweaved lives that show interesting love relationships between different couples. I loved how the movie was filmed. All-star cast.
April 24, 2012
It is a lot like a soap opera but it was still really good.
April 13, 2012
I love this entire cast, even the one eyed cat
½ April 7, 2012
I'm a bit confused as to why "Playing By Heart" has faded into oblivion since it debuted in 1998. First off, the cast is impeccable. "Playing By Heart" should be remembered for getting some of contemporary cinema's finest actors on screen together. Gillian Anderson, Angelina Jolie, Madeleine Stowe, Ellen Burstyn, Sean Connery, Anthony Edwards, Dennis Quaid, Gena Rowlands, Ryan Phillippe, Jay Mohr and Jon Stewart (yes, THAT Jon Stewart, who is shockingly great here) are all terrific. There is not a single weak spot in the ensemble. What's funny is that the actors are all so good that it almost seems like they are daring each other to top the next. Jolie, in an early performance, steals the whole picture, though. If this was not a showcase for what was to come, I don't know what is. The story is something we have seen before, mostly from the likes of Robert Altman, but none of it is ever trite or offensive. It's all played out with such grace and nuance that even it's somewhat conventional ending is welcomed. If you like movies about a group of interconnected people working through their lives and dealing with love and making connections (admittedly my favorite genre), then "Playing By Heart" is for you. I also recommend it on the merits of that incredible cast and the endlessly enticing dialogue. It all makes for a magical, resonant and sweet picture about the many sides of love.