Playing for Time Reviews

• Feb 07, 2020

It's a good movie but not amazing.

It's a good movie but not amazing.

• Feb 07, 2019

i did not know this was based on a true story the movie has not aged too well but is still very good acting was good interesting story some scenes were surprisingly intense some parts felt a bit slow a must watch for those trying to learn about the holocaust

• Nov 25, 2018

A quite amazing film and probably one of the best and most moving films set during World War II. A dazzling script from Arthur Miller and an incredible cast performance (especially from Vanessa Redgrave) puts this often overlooked film in the same standing as the likes of Schindler's List and The Pianist.

• May 16, 2018

Heavy movie. The director took on difficult subject of the dark time of WWII and the holocaust. An ambitious project for sure. The story itself is quite captivating but unfortunately the movie smells of cheap production and some aspects are not historically accurate. The Auschwitz-Birkenau was liberated by Russians, so where the British Army came from in the final scene, I wonder. They never made it to this part of Europe during the war. And it was end of January, not even one snowflake on the ground in the movie.

• Dec 24, 2017

Movie making at its worst; am-dram at its most average. A movie with such low production values that your local church hall amateurs would be appalled. Made-for-TV indeed. "Straight to video'. VHS, probably.

• Dec 11, 2016

We follow a group of female death camp prisoners making it through in a rag tag musical band. This is not quite realistic except for some details. We see them a bit diseased but still too well off and not half as worried as should be. The film is a bit of cinema about it. Maybe a bit of moquery with a lesbian temptation. The germans do not look very dangerous but they had bit of footage of the time to help us imagine the way it was.

• Dec 11, 2016

• Mar 12, 2016

Very atmospheric, with Redgrave at her best!

Very atmospheric, with Redgrave at her best!

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jul 29, 2013

Intense, visceral performances by all but of course the story is so awful that it is a film that can only be appreciated not enjoyed.

• Jul 21, 2013

I saw this movie for the first time when I was 9 years old. My mother explained to me the hard truth that this wasn't a scary fiction movie but a true story. I re-watched this the other night and it still has the same emotional punch in the gut 30 years later.