Playing God - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Playing God Reviews

September 4, 2015
A pretty cool little crime drama about a mob doctor. Maybe it's just elevated by Duchovney...
May 10, 2015
Was this the start of Californication or is this just Moulder playing dress up.Either way it's not very good.
August 20, 2014
I've been reviewing Mill Creeks Blu-Ray releases and this one was packed in with Color of night starring Bruce Willis. Wasn't a big fan of the movie, David Duchovny's performance isn't too bad and Angelina Jolie is decent, but the rest of the cast I'm afraid falls flat. Duchovny plays a surgeon (Eugene Sands) who loses his license after having a patient die while he's under the influence of drugs. Eugene saves a criminal inside a bar one night and gets noticed by Claire (Angelina Jolie), Claire is friends with a counterfeiter (Timothy Hutton) and Eugene is recruited for their personal doctor. Eugene and Claire get involved and they go on the run, the typical romance/action movie. Didn't keep me very entertained, wouldn't recommend it.
July 14, 2014
If you haven't seen this you should... another movie added to the underrated section.
February 6, 2014
David Duchovny's second attempt to launch a film career that had nothing to do with "The X-Files" or "Red Shoe Diaries". It's a fairly pedestrian thriller that manages to avoid being awful while simultaneously avoiding being memorable. On the plus side, casting Timothy Hutton as the villain sounds like an awful idea, but it ends up being a serviceable one.
October 27, 2013
Awful and predictable
March 19, 2013
AWW FRICK ! It's MPAA R.
½ August 31, 2012
The crime drama Playing God is a noir style film full of mystery and intrigue. The story follows Eugene Sands, a former surgeon that gets drawn into the life of a mob doctor, but soon finds that he's gotten in too deep. David Duchovny, Timothy Hutton, Angelina Jolie, and Peter Stormare form a solid cast and give good performances. Hutton is especially good at delivering the dark comedy, and creates a charismatic and fun villain. However, the directing is weak and hurts the film to a degree. Playing God is a flawed film, but still manages to deliver a compelling and entertaining thriller.
August 9, 2012
another movie i've never seen in its entiry, but the only reason why i've been watching the clips of this flick is because of the so hot/ it's ridiculous david duchovny. not saying the movie sucks, but average for my cup of tea.
½ January 13, 2012
space... really strange.
½ September 9, 2011
Promising gives way to boring gives way to stupid.
March 21, 2011
hahaha thats a song by paramore lol
½ February 20, 2011
3.5/4 Stars

Some critics didn't agree with this film except for the great Roger Ebert, but I still loved this movie. It's smart, amusing, and intelligent. One of Angelina Jolie's earlier films, and I loved the great performances from the star of "The X-Files," David Duchovny and Timothy Hutton. Like Roger Ebert said, "This may not be a great film, but for Duchovny and Hutton, it's a turning point." I totally agree with him. I recommend this film big time.
½ February 15, 2011
Incredibly lame. Boring, predictable plot. Very bad direction and production for a movie made in 1997 - 1940s cinematography is better, and the sound quality is from the Dark Ages.

Decent cast, on paper - David Duchovny, Timothy Hutton, Angelina Jolie (before she was famous) and Peter Stormare. None of them shine, though Timothy Hutton does a pretty good job as the bad guy.
September 25, 2010
i love duchovny... just watch californication.
July 20, 2010
Horrible! Corny, the acting was way over the top. Bad characters. Not much there to it. I only watched for the A.J. factor. I couldn't take anything serious about this movie, and I didn't find it "funny" either. It was just odd in a boring way, couldn't wait for it to end.
April 22, 2010
(from The Watermark, 10/26/97)
Playing God casts David Duchovny as a noble surgeon who has lost his license because of drug abuse. Mobster Timothy Hutton becomes aware of his situation, and pressures Duchovny to work for him and save the lives of injured criminals. Duchovny, badly in need of money to support his habit, acquiesces. Realizing he is up to no good, Duchovny jumps to the other side and goes under cover for the FBI to help catch Hutton, and bag a pretty moll who has caught his eye. And he manages to kick his drug habit, too. The film tries to be a stylish black comedy-thriller, but reeks of being a third rate Tarantino wannabe. The story is flimsy and predictable, and Duchovny and Hutton are both terribly miscast. Duchovny's cool deadpan is much less accessible when he's not surrounded by aliens and spaceships. Hutton's bleach blond bad guy tries to be frightening and crazy, but comes off like a little boy throwing a temper tantrum. For those of you who appreciate Duchovny's sexiness because of his intelligence, you won't find any more skin here than you do on the X-Files. David, baby, you've got a good thing going on TV. Ride that wave as long as you can.
April 11, 2010
sounds stupid, but i'm addicted to my fave actors.. so if stormare's in it...
March 13, 2010
"Playing God" is about a doctor (Duchovny) who is a drug addict. While recieving his drugs at a club, he saves a life of a person. This gets him some attention from drug gangs who are in need of a doctor.
"Playing God" is kept alive by actors David Duchovny and Timmothy Hutton.
January 31, 2010
This is a decent crime thriller. The movie stars David Duchovny, Timothy Hutton and Angelina Jolie. Duchovny plays a doctor who loses his medical license when he becomes addicted to amphetamines. But he soons finds a new job by chance to be a doctor again for a local crime syndicate. They want him to be their doctor on call. They supply him money and the amphetamines as the price. Of course he goes over his head with this and has the feds and crime syndictae on his back. Duchovny is solid as the lead hero. I liked his character. Timothy Hutton is great as the crime syndicate boss. Jolie has a small role in the movie but still good in the role. The movie story is decent and entertaining. A bit choppy and rushed at times. And some of the scenes of the film tries to be like a Snatch or Boondocks Saints movie. I remember a interview with Duchovny who said a love scene with Jolie was taken out of the story. He said it didn't make sense for the film. She was healing from a gun shot wound and he was fighting his addiction from drugs. It would not have made sense. He has a point. Overall though I enjoyed the movie. It could have been done a little better but it entertained me. Worth at least a one time watch.