Pleasantville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pleasantville Reviews

May 3, 2016
"Pleasantville" finds its voice with low-key satire and societal message about progressivism.
½ May 1, 2016
Pleasantville is a simple but beautiful film. It has wonderful visuals, a great little idea, some good characters, and a nice bit of commentary on society. Its also quite funny, especially Don Knotts. It does what movies should do, invent it's own world and visual flair, and tell a good story. The whole cast is great, and it is well worth seeing more than once.
½ April 29, 2016
"Pleasantville" has a visual style that is impressively artistic, which is a good compliment for a story that has a biting social commentary and satire that provokes thoughts in its audience afterwards.
April 27, 2016
Fantastic old-fashioned family viewing with engaging themes, humour and fun characters.
March 12, 2016
A throwback of 50s TV shows and beautiful looking at the same time
½ January 2, 2016
This is an unusual film which I think was made, and the story was written for, the fact that the director wanted to make a film where colour and black and white images were mixed. This is a nice part of the film but I was looking for other messages too. There is a sort of race message at one point and I was thinking that it may be about the switch from black and white films/tv to colour but I might just be looking for something that isn't there. Still, a good film.
December 21, 2015
Tobey Maguire's finest movie and brilliantly written & directed with a great supporting cast
October 26, 2015
"Pleasantville" is hilarious and heartwarming from start to finish. It's one of Tobey Maguire's best movies before doing the "Spider-Man" franchise.
October 17, 2015
thought we saw this already?
September 15, 2015
A truly original and unique movie with charming and delightful performances galore in this terrific ensemble including Tobey Magurie, Reese Witherspoon, Joan Allen, William H. Macy, Paul Walker, and Jeff Daniels. The art direction and cinematography are gorgeous in this movie as well as the sweeping score and great costumes and hair design. Gary Ross has a great sense of imagination and I wish he made some more movies like this in his post Hunger Games career revamping his career. This is a pure delight to watch
½ September 13, 2015
Filled with colorful characters, and great cinematography, Pleasantville is a unique experience.
½ August 30, 2015
Saw this on 30/8/15
Pleasantville is original, extremely symbolic and full of metaphors, but it's a pity that it's second half is out of focus and ending is rushed off. When I started watching this, I had the feeling that I may be watching the long awaited perfect movie that I haven't experienced for a very long time, something at the ranks of Truman Show or Back to the future. But I am extremely pissed off at the fact that given all the great elements to a relatively fresh story, the writer/director cannot bring a satisfying conclusion to the film. Another big problematic situation is the unfocussed love relation of Joan Allen/Jeff Daniels/William H Macy. I don't feel that extramarital relationships are a sign of good change nor is polygamy. Such elements were unnecessary, and once brushed over, they should have been more developed.
½ July 31, 2015
07/31/15: HBOGO-Dipped into a little bit of the old southern hate.
½ July 31, 2015
A bit heavy handed at times with the obvious symbolism but nevertheless this is a more complex message than might first meet the eye. Surprisingly intelligent, definitely fodder for philosophy classes.
July 30, 2015
Filled with memorable humor and a touching story, Pleasantville is a delightful, lighthearted, and beautifully made work of art!
½ July 25, 2015
Original, thematic storytelling with outspoken social commentary, albeit not subtly hidden, adding up to what movie making is all about.
½ July 17, 2015
A new classic that deserves more recognition, Pleasantville is a movie that truly shows what can be done with the art of film
July 17, 2015
This, for me, is one of those films that I've seen at least 4 times. Every time I watch it I see something new and different about it and in my opinion is a timeless film that will remain relevant for a very long time.
June 18, 2015
A clever movie that, despite its tendency to overreach, brings powerful human drama and new thoughts on the conventional 50's "American Dream".