Pleasantville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pleasantville Reviews

½ September 13, 2015
Filled with colorful characters, and great cinematography, Pleasantville is a unique experience.
½ August 30, 2015
75%
Saw this on 30/8/15
Pleasantville is original, extremely symbolic and full of metaphors, but it's a pity that it's second half is out of focus and ending is rushed off. When I started watching this, I had the feeling that I may be watching the long awaited perfect movie that I haven't experienced for a very long time, something at the ranks of Truman Show or Back to the future. But I am extremely pissed off at the fact that given all the great elements to a relatively fresh story, the writer/director cannot bring a satisfying conclusion to the film. Another big problematic situation is the unfocussed love relation of Joan Allen/Jeff Daniels/William H Macy. I don't feel that extramarital relationships are a sign of good change nor is polygamy. Such elements were unnecessary, and once brushed over, they should have been more developed.
½ July 31, 2015
07/31/15: HBOGO-Dipped into a little bit of the old southern hate.
½ July 31, 2015
A bit heavy handed at times with the obvious symbolism but nevertheless this is a more complex message than might first meet the eye. Surprisingly intelligent, definitely fodder for philosophy classes.
July 30, 2015
Filled with memorable humor and a touching story, Pleasantville is a delightful, lighthearted, and beautifully made work of art!
½ July 25, 2015
Original, thematic storytelling with outspoken social commentary, albeit not subtly hidden, adding up to what movie making is all about.
½ July 17, 2015
A new classic that deserves more recognition, Pleasantville is a movie that truly shows what can be done with the art of film
July 17, 2015
This, for me, is one of those films that I've seen at least 4 times. Every time I watch it I see something new and different about it and in my opinion is a timeless film that will remain relevant for a very long time.
June 18, 2015
A clever movie that, despite its tendency to overreach, brings powerful human drama and new thoughts on the conventional 50's "American Dream".
½ May 15, 2015
oh TY flixter its another lost review-aholes!
½ May 15, 2015
It most certainly is.
May 8, 2015
Wonderful performances by the entire cast. The colour transitions are amazing to watch. I highly recommend this film.
½ April 20, 2015
vastly over-rated a struggle to get through at times it falls between categories I wanted to like it more than I did but I found it very slow
½ March 27, 2015
Not only colorful, but insightful as well.
March 26, 2015
I love this movie. For me its main theme is theological, a hermeneutic of rejection for the garden of eden story. Paradise is stultifying. Bite that apple! Great performances from Joan Allen, William F Macy and Reese Witherspoon plus a marginally less good performance from Tobey Maguire who I think was still finding his feet somewhat as an actor at that stage. Fabulous use of black and white/colour changes to tell the story. And that swooning scene with the falling petals I'll never forget. One of my greatest favourites.
February 27, 2015
An incredibly inventive tale that contrasts the views of today with that of the 50's and shows the power of change through unique and beautiful cinematography.
½ February 14, 2015
A pretentious movie that hammers in its many rushed themes including it's poorly handled take on racism. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't constantly remind you that this world is fake and dosent exist and will eventually result in Don Knotts reseting the world in the end there are never any stakes or tension in the movie. The last hour exists only to beat you over the head with its tired themes.
February 13, 2015
Made me chuckle to myself as I was watching. Full of neat jokes and quirks to make this a very memorable, if not totally spectacular, viewing
January 31, 2015
A great, original comedy. the concept and intriguing and wonderful performances from Tobey MacGuire, Reese Witherspoon, and the support really stole the show. The special effects were done so well and subtle with the transition. Extremely underrated.
January 30, 2015
An uplifting story of self-discovery with some great performances from Joan Allen and Reese Witherspoon. Full review later.