Pleasantville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pleasantville Reviews

½ July 17, 2015
A new classic that deserves more recognition, Pleasantville is a movie that truly shows what can be done with the art of film
July 17, 2015
This, for me, is one of those films that I've seen at least 4 times. Every time I watch it I see something new and different about it and in my opinion is a timeless film that will remain relevant for a very long time.
June 18, 2015
A clever movie that, despite its tendency to overreach, brings powerful human drama and new thoughts on the conventional 50's "American Dream".
½ May 15, 2015
oh TY flixter its another lost review-aholes!
½ May 15, 2015
It most certainly is.
May 8, 2015
Wonderful performances by the entire cast. The colour transitions are amazing to watch. I highly recommend this film.
½ April 20, 2015
vastly over-rated a struggle to get through at times it falls between categories I wanted to like it more than I did but I found it very slow
½ March 27, 2015
Not only colorful, but insightful as well.
March 26, 2015
I love this movie. For me its main theme is theological, a hermeneutic of rejection for the garden of eden story. Paradise is stultifying. Bite that apple! Great performances from Joan Allen, William F Macy and Reese Witherspoon plus a marginally less good performance from Tobey Maguire who I think was still finding his feet somewhat as an actor at that stage. Fabulous use of black and white/colour changes to tell the story. And that swooning scene with the falling petals I'll never forget. One of my greatest favourites.
February 27, 2015
An incredibly inventive tale that contrasts the views of today with that of the 50's and shows the power of change through unique and beautiful cinematography.
½ February 14, 2015
A pretentious movie that hammers in its many rushed themes including it's poorly handled take on racism. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't constantly remind you that this world is fake and dosent exist and will eventually result in Don Knotts reseting the world in the end there are never any stakes or tension in the movie. The last hour exists only to beat you over the head with its tired themes.
February 13, 2015
Made me chuckle to myself as I was watching. Full of neat jokes and quirks to make this a very memorable, if not totally spectacular, viewing
January 31, 2015
A great, original comedy. the concept and intriguing and wonderful performances from Tobey MacGuire, Reese Witherspoon, and the support really stole the show. The special effects were done so well and subtle with the transition. Extremely underrated.
January 30, 2015
An uplifting story of self-discovery with some great performances from Joan Allen and Reese Witherspoon. Full review later.
½ January 15, 2015
Pleasantly surprised by this movie after revisiting it again. I've seen this on television maybe once or twice when I was young, and had always thought that it was an odd fantasy film. Now I'm older and I understand the clever social commentary behind it I could appreciate it more. Honestly very enjoyable, even the visuals, spots of colour from the black and white. Good stuff.
½ January 3, 2015
Its a little heavy handed but not to bad. Its funny watching it now making 90's jokes about the 50's from a 2014 perspective. It has some similarities to the Truman show released the same year. I always like the mixing of black and white in color like in "sin city".
November 16, 2014
Prior to the viewing, its reputation was having an attractive art and concept. When experiencing "Pleasantville," you'll first find simple-minded characters and some weirdness in the form of satirizing the nostalgia of old television shows. But then the whole film and its contents become a colorful evolution with characters developing more than being simple-minded outside of satire and revealing themes being well-communicated.

Nice cast, nice heart and nice formula of a colorful evolution while reflecting themes, "Pleasantville" is definitely a pleasant entertainment. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
October 30, 2014
Maybe you get the message part way through, but the ride is so gorgeous, so well-told, that it's a delight to just see the rest of the movie follow-through on the theme.
October 19, 2014
Pleasantville is an artistic satirical look into humanity which is very funny and very heartfelt
October 14, 2014
An interesting movie to watch, but I don't know how I feel about the premise. I definitely didn't like the sexuality, which was taken too far. (First and only full viewing - 10/5/2014)