Ploy Reviews

• Nov 16, 2013

This film is so caught up in its own pretentiousness that it's not even remarkable in an appreciative way. I wasn't crazy about Melancholia but I still understood it and the film was beautiful. The only thing I could appreciate in this one was some sex scenes.

• Nov 08, 2010

Ploy (2007) was wonderfully abstract and so not the Thai flick i was expecting. makes one wonder and think, and was really well done. 4/5

• Aug 01, 2010

A chamber-room piece from Ratanaruang this time around and a highly successful one at that. Lalita Panyopas returns to collaborate after a decade-long absence and her presence is welcome in this film. Her quiet jealousy is carefully expressed through posture and gesture (the sly pouring of the minibar's contents into her morning tea belie an immense dissatisfaction with her relationship with her husband. The one sex scene in the film between a maid and a barman contrasts wonderfully with the coldness developing between the spouses and its intense eroticism is a step forward for displays of frank sexuality in Thai cinema.

• May 25, 2010

Nach seinen zwei Meisterwerken LAST LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE und INVISIBLE WAVES wählt Ratanaruang in PLOY einen betont reduzierteren Ansatz. Ein Ehedrama als hypnotisches Kammerspiel in einem Hotelzimmer und Dreipersonenstück, aufgebrochen in enggeführten Träumen und Realitäten.

• May 09, 2010

It's always refreshing to see a Thai film without ladyboys, ghosts and a fat boy getting smacked around for laughs. A much better movie than Invisible Waves also by Pen-Ek, I still think Last Life in the universe is my favourite of his.

• Jan 13, 2010

This director can really create atmosphere..Not one of his strongest but entertaining

• Aug 23, 2009

This Thai movie shows how love changes according to each of us and as well as how it changes time after time. But quite sleepy and confused!

• Apr 29, 2009

This is the 3rd movie i am watching from Dir. Ratanaruang. I find it less lush than "Last Life in the universe" & "invisible waves". Still,a challenging movie to watch. Gets better in the middle but the musical sequence towards the end is jarring.

• Apr 26, 2009

I thought there were some pretty good lines about relationships in here. I liked how Pen-Ek fooled me by having the artist/rapist off focus in the background, I thought he was an extra. I can't say I totally 'got it' though, I still have my question marks. I didn't think the ending was Wit's dream. I think Dang made it to the funeral. Ploy and Dang's black eye - is there, and if so, what's the link? I thought the bartender & chambermaid's tryst was all in Ploy's dream though. Me and movie kaki has our own take on the film. Whoever who has watched this, do share with me how You came away feeling after.

• Mar 21, 2009

jeg kan skrive Pen-Ek Ratanaruang uten å slå det opp! Bra trekantdrama og kammerspill.