Plynace wiezowce (Floating Skyscrapers) Reviews

• Feb 15, 2020

Intensely engaging. Shows cultural limitations of Poland regarding coming-out and LGBT issues.

• Jun 12, 2016

Well that was boring. Took me about five hours to get through because I kept pausing it to do more enjoyable things, like load the dishwasher. Nicely shot but that's absolutely all

• Feb 08, 2016

Quality, but infuriating.

Quality, but infuriating.

• Jun 06, 2015

Floating Skyscrapers – another film school quality product. A film about an incestuous mother, and a pathetic girlfriend who settles for life with a gay man. A cookie cutter film in which one of the gay characters has to die from gay bashing, and the other has to live an unbearable existence because he’s too weak to grow a pair of balls, and get on with life as a gay man. A film in which the only character that has any self-respect is the one they kill off. We can’t have a well-adjusted character upsetting all the artsy, doom and gloom. Maybe one day the writer, and so many other writers, will develop enough talent to write a movie with an original story line.

• May 26, 2015

Kuba is an aspiring champion swimmer with an uninspiring life. He lives with his girlfriend Sylwia and his overbearing mother. One night at a gallery opening, he meets Michal who not only saves him from his boredom at the party, but also in life in general as they strike up a close friendship, which turns into an affair. This is a beautifully shot Polish drama which seemed awash with misery. It's supposed to be a heatwave, but I found it all rather cold. It even has a blue filter over everything. The chemistry is electric between the two male leads, but the passionate scenes seemed a little sharp edged. A well-acted and punchy coming out drama, but quite a devastating bummer of a film. No pun intended.

• Jan 29, 2015

What a grimy Polish film in colour of the cinematography to the fake relationships between some of the characters. The film explores the sexual confusion of a male swimmer Kuba. He lives with his girlfriend and his over protective mother who he massages in one scene (yes). Kuba however develops a strong sexual relationship with another male Michel in secret. His champion standard swimming suffers along with his relationship with his girlfriend. Kuba's girlfriends suspicions grow along with his disapproving mother and there are fireworks as the relationship crumbles. However what will the future hold? I must admit this is probably the first Polish film I have ever seen.

• Oct 02, 2014

A dramatically kitsch film with a really saddening tone.

A dramatically kitsch film with a really saddening tone.

• Sep 04, 2014

Not as good as I thought it would be.We see and feel the struggles that the characters face but they can't touch us enough.The performances are really good though.

• May 18, 2014

muyyy larga y sin sentido

muyyy larga y sin sentido

• Apr 19, 2014

Meandering through its bleak urban setting with long, lingering shots, it eventually achieves some emotional depth, but it struggles to hold the interest along the way.