Poetry Reviews

• Mar 27, 2020

A sweet movie. A good, solid, slightly unexpected and open ending, as poetic as the old Mija was wishing to become. Slow paced, realistic, very humane.

• Feb 06, 2020

Best new discovery. An instant favorite. Powerful and sensitive. 10/10

Best new discovery. An instant favorite. Powerful and sensitive. 10/10

• Jul 11, 2019

Undeniably beautiful, profound and subtle. Also a bit frustrating, as the story seems trapped behind a very thin, see-through layer. You can see is there, but you will not be able to grasp it!

• Apr 09, 2019

Poetry is a beautiful character study of a woman frittering away whilst dealing with a heinous family crime. Lee Chang-Dong is the master of slow burn, deeply layered cinema as he raises questions of the attitude towards rape culture in Korea along with trying to find meaning in life among anguish. Just like love, relationships or sex poetry can't be forced, it must occur naturally, through our experiences, it serves as a guide to the human condition, which Yun is deeply struggling with. The ambiguous note poetry is left on does not feel unsatisfying, it leaves us pondering important questions about life and love albeit very bleak questions. This is yet another stunning turn from Chang-Dong who can't seem to make a bad film.

• Jan 03, 2019

A quiet and devastating film with an ending that is indeed as transcendental as fine poetry. Explores themes of aging, mortality, and justice. Reminiscent of Bergman's best works. A more or less perfect combination of honesty and unadorned profundity. One of my all-time favorites.

• Aug 23, 2017

Ambiguous at times, but I would argue that its ambiguity and openness to interpretation propels the vast emptiness and surreal aesthetics of this delicate craft. To put it simply: this film is beautiful and thought-provoking. A poetical work of art.

• Nov 30, 2016

As always, it bewitched me with inexplainable bitterness of drama

As always, it bewitched me with inexplainable bitterness of drama

• Jan 14, 2016

One of the most beautiful heartbreaking haunting films I've ever seen.

One of the most beautiful heartbreaking haunting films I've ever seen.

• Nov 22, 2015

"One old lady's search for poetic beauty in a morally-bankrupt world" may seem like an awfully pretentious description of a movie, but it works quite well indeed, thanks to a very strong central performance.

• Jul 12, 2015

Powerful and tragic tale of the suffering of the innocent and how we must handle life's struggles with grace.