Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew Reviews

½ June 10, 2018
Wish movies today were as good as this kids movie
½ June 7, 2018
I guess it was a kinda boring movie but for kids it was good !!!
½ May 22, 2018
One of the best films of all time. It's theme and core message is presented perfectly with a little emotion. The critics here at Rotten Tomatoes need to give actual constructive criticism because it's commercial run was more successful than initially expected despite these terrible reviews. Audiences liked this film way more than the critics.
½ May 5, 2018
I wish that there was more action, and there was barely any emotion besides Ash dying.
May 3, 2018
why its pokemon how dare you.
your
½ April 3, 2018
It's pretty good but sometimes it's gets boring and the plot is simple and the target is for kids but if you like pokemon you'll have some fun with this movie.
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
i dont get what some people dont like about this movie i mean if you arent fans of pokemon why did you see it i understand if you have kids but that doesnt mean you have to give a crap i mean just enjoy what you see its one of my favorite movies i enjoy the different characters the animation is top notch the comedy is spot on and it contains one of my favorite villains mewtwo
March 28, 2018
please don't listen to the rest of the critics on this page. rotten tomatoes is a terrible source for reviews on this type of movie. I loved this movie as a child and an adult. Many lessons can be learned as a kid and adults from this movie. Adults especially could learn a few things from this movie. the last fight scene is very relevant to the situations that are happening right now. for the ones who haven't watched it. don't take these overly critical peoples opinions on this matter. this movie is meant for pokemon fans. Not the video game fans, but the movie and anime itself fans.
½ March 19, 2018
How anyone can think this is a bad film is beyond me. It has some of the most memorable moments of all Pokemon history! Great movie
½ March 17, 2018
Good childhood memories. Didn't think it was that good though
January 18, 2018
This movie likely hasn't aged well, which prevents it from getting a higher score. Other than that this movie was good, at least when I was a kid.
½ January 1, 2018
I enjoyed Pokémon when I was little. But now, I have outgrown it, and watching Pokémon: The First Movie as an adult just didn't sit right with me. The entire movie is fan service. Unless you're a Pokémon fan or a little familiar with first-generation Pokémon or the TV show, this movie will be difficult to follow.

The basic plot of the film is Ash and his friends has to try and get to an island where a Pokémon tournament is supposedly held, but it's a trap setup by a genetically-modified Pokémon called Mewtwo. Mewtwo attempts to steal Pokémon from their trainers (including Pikachu), clone them, and turn Pokémon against humans because Mewtwo is a bad Pokémon who hates humans. Oh, and Pokémon are creatures that fight each other.

Pokémon: The First movie is just an extended episode of the TV show. It's a thinly-written movie where the second half of the film is just a bunch of Pokémons fighting each other. Watching this movie as an adult was cringeworthy. There's Pikachus slapping each other and Team Rocket disguising themselves as vikings with a cringeworthy Swedish accent. In the third act, characters preach that violence is bad, even though the franchise will continue with Pokémons fighting each other. Worse than that, Ash gets petrified and was revived through the power of tears.

For die-hard fans, Pokémon will forever be nostalgic. For everyone else, Pokémon is the perfect kids movie that doesn't age well when you're older.
November 28, 2017
It's a very good movie with the charming characters from the Pokemon anime, and has a good story.
November 19, 2017
A masterpiece of display of philosophy and morality 10/10
½ October 8, 2017
I really like this movie, all Pokemon fans who will enjoy the anime shows, and movies too
½ September 3, 2017
This is a rip-off of Pokemon the Zeroeth Movie. Yuck.
September 3, 2017
BEST EVER IT NEEDS TO BE RATED A 99999999999999999999999999999999999999995% THE ONLY RESON IT IS RATED BAD IS 'CAUSE ADULTS DON'T LIKE POKEMON AT ALL
½ May 4, 2017
as an actual pokemon fan CRITICS.. i enjoyed it.
½ April 9, 2017
86% of those guys probably got rekt in the elite four.
½ February 11, 2017
es pesima,encima que no me gusta pokemon