Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew Reviews

½ March 19, 2018
How anyone can think this is a bad film is beyond me. It has some of the most memorable moments of all Pokemon history! Great movie
½ March 17, 2018
Good childhood memories. Didn't think it was that good though
January 18, 2018
This movie likely hasn't aged well, which prevents it from getting a higher score. Other than that this movie was good, at least when I was a kid.
½ January 1, 2018
I enjoyed Pokémon when I was little. But now, I have outgrown it, and watching Pokémon: The First Movie as an adult just didn't sit right with me. The entire movie is fan service. Unless you're a Pokémon fan or a little familiar with first-generation Pokémon or the TV show, this movie will be difficult to follow.

The basic plot of the film is Ash and his friends has to try and get to an island where a Pokémon tournament is supposedly held, but it's a trap setup by a genetically-modified Pokémon called Mewtwo. Mewtwo attempts to steal Pokémon from their trainers (including Pikachu), clone them, and turn Pokémon against humans because Mewtwo is a bad Pokémon who hates humans. Oh, and Pokémon are creatures that fight each other.

Pokémon: The First movie is just an extended episode of the TV show. It's a thinly-written movie where the second half of the film is just a bunch of Pokémons fighting each other. Watching this movie as an adult was cringeworthy. There's Pikachus slapping each other and Team Rocket disguising themselves as vikings with a cringeworthy Swedish accent. In the third act, characters preach that violence is bad, even though the franchise will continue with Pokémons fighting each other. Worse than that, Ash gets petrified and was revived through the power of tears.

For die-hard fans, Pokémon will forever be nostalgic. For everyone else, Pokémon is the perfect kids movie that doesn't age well when you're older.
November 28, 2017
It's a very good movie with the charming characters from the Pokemon anime, and has a good story.
November 19, 2017
A masterpiece of display of philosophy and morality 10/10
½ October 8, 2017
I really like this movie, all Pokemon fans who will enjoy the anime shows, and movies too
½ September 3, 2017
This is a rip-off of Pokemon the Zeroeth Movie. Yuck.
September 3, 2017
½ May 4, 2017
as an actual pokemon fan CRITICS.. i enjoyed it.
½ April 9, 2017
86% of those guys probably got rekt in the elite four.
½ February 11, 2017
es pesima,encima que no me gusta pokemon
January 10, 2017
½ December 24, 2016
A film which, despite negative critical reception upon release, was highly popular in 1998 around the time it was released, Pokemon: The First Movie may feel like nothing more than a blatant cash grab for Nintendo for those who aren't really fans of the games and/or anime but for the converted, it's a fun and amusing thrill ride.
December 23, 2016
This review is all memories for me. This is my favorite Pokémon movie that I have seen. I was a huge Pokémon fan back in the day. I seen the Blue Ray collection at Best Buy and picked it up a while ago. Just got around to watching this and god was it decent at best...... I don't think it aged well. It was more remember back in the day. I still love how the Pokémon balls come and catch the original Pokémon. Not a must see. But for old time Pokémon trainers still a good watch!
December 11, 2016
Who cares what the critics say? This film is sure to be a hit to all Pokémon fans.
November 14, 2016
I only saw the trailer,and I really want to see it!
½ November 11, 2016
Its a weird verdict that this movie is both really great but at the same time really frustrating. Mewtwo's motivations are inconsistent, the story has China sized plot holes, some of the Pokemon were translated poorly like Pidgiot being called Pidgioto, the moral is a confusing mess and has a hard time connecting to the plot, the origin of Mewtwo being cut from the film is unnecessary and a bad idea, and the ending is frustrating making no sense and makes the whole experience pointless. But, on a positive note, the animation is top notch, the action is exciting and epic, it has a strong sense of drama, the music is great, I give it credit for its dark tone and big epic scale, and some of the movies problems can be fun to pick apart because some are in the so bad its good category. So this movie has stuff that's really great and really frustrating. It's mixed.
October 18, 2016
It's not "Citizen Kane," but it's a close second.