Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment Reviews

½ February 27, 2016
Sequel to 1984 comedy. Recruits on their first assignment, duh.
½ November 22, 2015
The first PA film I saw back when I was but a mere sprog and to this day I still think its probably the best of the bunch. Pretty much all the cast return for this assignment, well the main cast, and the story continues on from their graduation of the Police Academy. I do like that this film series manages to keep continuity time after time, gotta give kudos for that with such a big cast.

The plot is again very simple, the new officers are all doing well in their respective roles but are called on to help Cmdt. Eric Lassard's brother. It seems his precinct is the worse in the city (unknown which city) thanks to a ruthless gang of thugs. So its up to the new rookie officers to clean up the neighbourhood, Academy style.

So yes the story continues on from where the last left off which is good, the cast are all present and correct which is good and there are some new officers to enjoy in this new precinct. Again this film is still aimed towards an adult audience which assists it in being a much better comedy vehicle in my opinion. The old characters are on form and all doing their thing as expected, Mahoney still being a wet little goodie goodie, Tackleberry with his array of weapons etc...but they are now up against a new superior in the form of the excellent Art Metrano as Lt/Capt. Mauser.

Now I really must give much kudos to Metrano here, this guy is even better than Bailey as Harris, in a different way. I really really liked this ass kissing slimebucket so much, the way he ridicules the new rookies, the way he bullies his sidekick Proctor and of course the way he kisses ass. The tomfoolery on show is even more outrageous and rude than the previous film with nudity, especially from Metrano, but this guy just makes it work. The way he screams out 'Proctor!!' and the way he verbally duels with Mahoney can be at times really funny.

Lt. Mauser: 'Mahoney, what kind of clown do you think I am?'
Mahoney: 'A juggling clown?'

Kudos also to Lance Kinsey as Sgt. Proctor who is another fine example of a dimwitted sidekick. He doesn't do much apart from suck up to Mauser but its just the way he does it. Love the way he switches from a grovelling butt licker with Mauser, to trying to be a strong authority figure around the other officers. This duo are the best thing about this film and the franchise really.

Chief Hurst: 'Mauser, you're the most incredible ass kisser I have ever seen.'
Lt. Mauser: 'Thank you very much, sir. I do my best.'

There are some other good new characters here too. Howard Hesseman as Capt. Peter 'Pete' Lassard actually puts in a good heart warming performance as the all round good guy Captain, one of the few actors giving the film some proper credibility. This film also has the great honour of introducing the insane Bobcat Goldthwait to the world as the infantile gang leader. Can't deny his performance is unique but I still do wonder about this guys mental makeup, and I still don't know if he actually talks like that in real life?. Small mention for the other odd looking character in Tim Kazurinsky as Sweetchuck who certainly gives a good show as an elderly little man, was he suppose to be elderly? Again the comedy duo of Sweetchuck and Zed is actually pretty good, cool that it continues into the third film too.

Of course the humour is totally childish and puerile but I think by now we all know the game here don't we. Most of this film actually consists of the boys in blue doing something, Mauser sticking a spanner in the works and then Mahoney getting revenge with some silly prank. The best of which is easily the glue in the shower sequence which leads to Mauser wearing a wig for the rest of the film. So utterly immature yet quite a nasty thing to do lets be honest, but admittedly hilarious. Never let under age kids see this film because it is most definitely a bad influence, making dogs run out into heavy traffic?? errrr...keep the kids away!

I think the start of the film is much better than the finale, the rookies getting to know Mauser and being shown the ropes etc...The ending does become a bit cartoonish with some nasty pratfalls and hokey ass gang member action, but when that musical score begins to swell you can't help but kinda enjoy it. Still not too sure why they have that 90 year old looking officer in the police station just sitting around, why would he be there??
October 31, 2015
The wacky group of cops have done it again!
July 9, 2015
The only quality that this first sequel retains is the returning cast's comedic charms at their lessen, yet manageable abilities than their previous outing as this is the "RoboCop 2" of the series but better received. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
March 24, 2015
Goldthwait steals the whole shabang in any otherwise less than stellar sequel.
February 23, 2015
This is basically more of the same only this time the vast majority of the gags fall flat.
January 25, 2015
watching it now ....didnt remember it being this bad....
January 15, 2015
No wear near as good as the first. The jokes and humour feel lazy and desperate, hardly an direction and poor use of plot. It is wonderful though that the characters are back and the mischief they get up to and each have their own moment. Again, it's the ending that's a let down with a poor climaxing ending so dull it's wonder why the film was made. Michael Winslow is great though, and with a few barely funny scenes, it is him that saves it. Probably best to look up Police Academy 2 best bits online...if any.
½ January 1, 2015
Not near as good as the first...
a lot of the cops didn't return from the first one also.
The comedy isn't as good as the first and again it is what it is...
a cheesy 80s comedy about a cast of cadets at the Academy.
I will say Guttenberg was pretty good in this one, and how can you not like Hightower.
December 18, 2014
This sequel like many comedy sequels isn't as great or as entertaining as the first but it is still a heap of fun for the most part
½ November 11, 2014
Police Academys pretty dumb fun these movies get slammed a lot but at this point the characters are still well defined and illicit laughs
½ November 7, 2014
It's good to see the gang again, but it recycles a lot of jokes from the first, and introduces an irritating psychotic gang leader character named Zed who does go onto star in two other sequels. As the film's title states, its the police academy gang's first assignment on a task force, and must fight street crime from an emerging gang while also stopping some asshole from taking over the force and corrupting it. It surely has its funny moments so its not a bad film, just quite average.
July 31, 2014
The team is back to make us all laugh again.
June 27, 2014
Why not... the sequel was a watered down version of the first film... but the first film was watered down. It was fun.
½ June 6, 2014
if you hate someone, recommend this movie to them
May 31, 2014
Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment was a bit of a letdown for fans of the first film. The most obvious reason would be that it went a bit softer with its content, as opposed to the R-rated first film. This one still has a couple of pairs of bare breasts, but it's much lighter on the raunch and more about the slapstick. It's also disappointing because of the lack G.W. Bailey, being replaced with another villain, or villain of sorts. For the most part, the rest of the main cast returns from the first film, but it also includes newcomer Bobcat Goldthwait, who was a breakout star and appeared in the next couple of movies. The main problem though is that the story isn't as interesting as it was the first time around. So all in all, it's not quite the classic that the first film is. Not that any of the films in the series are landmarks, but the first has the most appeal overall.
April 30, 2014
April 19, 2014
My Rating: 3/5 stars; Grade: B-; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Passable (Fresh); Emoticon: :-I.
½ April 6, 2014
Silly and cartoonish, Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment takes the comedy to the streets. In order to combat a rising crime wave, the 16th Precinct gets 6 new graduates from the Police Academy. Bobcat Goldthwait joins the cast and proves to be a perfect fit with the film's brand of comedy. However, the jokes are too in your face and don't really serve the plot all that well. A truly unnecessary sequel, Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment is a rote comedy that manages to delivers a few laughs.