Police Academy 3: Back in Training - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Police Academy 3: Back in Training Reviews

August 29, 2016
Bobcat Goldthwait gives another perfect performance as a whacked-out thug playing a loose-cannon cop.
½ March 1, 2016
Watching this 30 years after it was released, it's not terrible. I didn't laugh out loud at any point, but I wasn't bored either.
February 27, 2016
Recruits go back in training, duh.
½ January 10, 2016
A fine example of the mediocre slapstick comedies of the 80s, Police Academy 3: Back in Training is not just one of the 7 installments of a legendary and ridiculously bad franchise, but also it ranks as probably the second best after the original movie. It is so absurd and so bad that it would actually make you smile when you catch it by chance on the TV on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
To summarize the third delivery of this phenomenally bad (in terms of quality) and successful (in terms of financial performance) is pretty easy. More of the same stupid jokes, bad performances and inept story-telling would be unleashed upon you from the first minute of the movie and it would continue for all the 84 minutes. Therefore, the only conclusion which could be done about Police Academy 3 is that if you by chance see it on the TV and you are willing to "travel back in time" driven by nostalgia about the 80s, then it is a guilty pleasure that could be forgiven.
November 22, 2015
Third times a charm as we head back to the Police Academy for more training with yet more new recruits. Yep once again the best of the boys in blue are called back to campus to help out Lassard. Pretty much all the cast are back again (impressive) as this time Lassard and his favourites must battle Mauser and his own recruits.

Confused? well I don't blame ya, it appears that from out of nowhere there are now two police academies in this fictional city. One we all know of and the other run by Mauser, despite the fact this was never mentioned in the previous two films by anyone including Mauser. So both academies are pitched against each other as the city can't afford to run both and one must go. Not too sure why Mauser's cadets are dressed in military type uniforms though, surely they'd all be the same.

This equals the same spiel as we got in the first film, and when I say the same I mean the same. Almost all the new recruit sequences from the first film are reenacted yet again in this films beginning. Now you may think this sounds like poor writing but its actually quite neat. For example in the first film we saw Fackler's wife trying to stop him from going to the academy, in this film the sequence is reversed and we see Fackler trying to stop his wife. We also get a role reversal for Goldthwait as Zed the gang leader from the second film plus Sweetchuck is back for them to continue their little comedy duo. We even see the return of Tackleberry's girlfriends wacky family, gotta give it to the continuity in these films.

The film does admittedly consist of the same kind of thing we saw in the first film really, the recruits going through the same training that we've seen before like martial arts with Jones, high speed driving, voice commands etc...all on the same location as the first film too! so there's a lot of deja vu. Again like previous films there are pratfalls and gags, this time the main one being Mauser losing his eyebrows and having to wear women's makeup for the rest of the film. Again I can't deny its quite funny and made all the more funny by the brilliant Art Metrano once again.

Metrano is brilliant again and Kinsey plays off him well as Proctor, these two are still one of the best things in the franchise for this film and the second.

These films are extremely formulaic, identikit films really (hey it seemed to work), all the usual buffoonery eventually leads to the big showdown sequence in the finale where the new recruits prove themselves against the odds. This time its a water based chase sequence with jet ski's, motorboats and absolutely loads of people falling into the water. Guess what...they win, save the day and all become fine police officers whilst keeping Lassard's academy alive.

Everything you would expect is here just to keep people interested in their favourite characters. Despite the usual fluff this is probably the last decent PA film before things just get a bit too factory line conveyor belt crapola. The plot isn't too bad, having all the training again is a bit tired but the two academies fighting each other is a nice angle and the finale is hokey as hell but it looks quite good, they know how to make a set piece look good. The first film to get a PG rating but it manages to keep its head above the water.
November 1, 2015
This series keeps getting better especially with new recruits!
½ August 2, 2015
Meh it's very bad! But some scenes where funny!
February 23, 2015
More and more of the same. You'd think they'd at least use some different jokes. Also Bobcat Goldthwait! I had forgotten about this guy, I kind of wish I hadn't been reminded.
January 15, 2015
We're into the third film and is surprisingly better than the second which to be fair isn't saying much but those loveable characters are back with recycled jokes but it strangely works and it's the sort of film it works in. New characters join the bumbling cops and academy but are rather annoying. Admittedly the plot is better and probably the best final third in the franchise but it's directed boringly and saved by the great cast who we know and love but against a seemingly rushed script. Average sequel which is better than the second but low standards against it's first predecessor. Not bad.
½ January 9, 2015
What made the first Academy film so enjoyable was its silliness and humour but in this third chapter even though it tries to be funny it just does not get anywhere near being funny
½ November 7, 2014
This third film wasn't all that bad, and works nearly as well as the other films despite its PG rating, showing that the film's humour was never greatly reliant on dirty R-rated humour. To be honest, its pretty average again, but it's short and sweet, and a little better than the 2nd film. I had a fair amount of fun with it for one viewing, but once again, the film recycles the fuck out of used jokes from the first film, but nonetheless does its best to shape original moments out of them. Michael Winslow (Mr. SFX I call him) still has tricks down his sleeve, David Graf as the military nut still sees everything as a means for firing off guns, Bubba Smith does his thing, and Guttenberg as Mahoney still has a snarky charm. The plot involves two academies versing each other when its decided that only one can stand, but the whole competition thing is never really wrapped at the conclusion. You know who wins, film doesn't expect you to question it. So the film is lazy, recycled somewhat, and brings back the psychotic character Zed from the 2nd unfortunately (he's fucking obnoxious, who decided to make him a reoccurring character in these films!?), but luckily he's not a major character. As I can say about the second, it has its moments, but you can see the series declining already... more or less unsurprisingly.
½ August 11, 2014
"The Law-enFARCEment saga continues"

- 'Police Academy 3: Back in Training' is a 1986 comedy film directed by Jerry Paris (Police Academy 2) and the third installment of the popular Police Academy franchise. America's funniest police officers are back for action. I truly love the humor that is presented by the many likeable characters in these movies. With Steve Guttenburgh, George Gaynes, Bubba Smith, Leslie Easterbrook, Michael Winslow, David Graff, Art Metrano, Lance Kinsey and Marion Ramsey, and adding Bobcat Goldthwait and Tim Kazurinsky. New cadets, new hilarious training...

Due to government savings, one of the two Police Schools will have to close down. In order to determine which one, the Academy of Commandant Mauser (Metrano) and the Academy of Commandant Lassard (Gaynes) will be evaluated by a jury. Mauser and his assistant Proctor (Kinsey) plan to make sure Lassard's school screws up.

In the meantime, Lassard brings back his best officers, including the womanizing Sgt. Mahoney (Guttenburgh), the strong Sgt. Hightower (Smith), the seductive Lt. Callahan (Easterbrook), the imitating Sgt. Jones (Winslow), the gentle Sgt. Hooks (Ramsey) and the ready-to-shoot Sgt. Tackleberry (Graff) to train new recruits. But can they make real police officers out of the nerdish cadet Sweetchuck (Kazurinsky) or the rebellious cadet Zed (Goldthwait), and impress the jury?
July 31, 2014
There back and they are doing what they do best.
June 27, 2014
Bobcat Goldthwait made it fun and enjoyable as he became part of the academy. Better than part 2, not quite part 1, but somewhere in between. Again... it was fun.
May 31, 2014
Police Academy 3: Back in Training is the third film in the Police Academy series. The previous film was a letdown for fans of the first film, but the third film manages to gain a better story than the last, but at the same time, going with even softer material than before. Like the last film, the main cast returns, including the breakout star Bobcat Goldthwait. The story now involves two police academies who are being judged by a committee as to which academy is more effective and the other being shut down. A lot of the slapstick gags are back, with occasionally funny quips, but overall, it's a better sequel than the previous one. This also seemed like a good place to stop with the franchise, but as we all know, they couldn't leave it alone and did more sequels after this one.
April 26, 2014
Probably My Favourite Of The Whole Series I'd Say. Mix Of Old & New Characters That Bring Out Some Good Gags.
½ April 17, 2014
Getting back to its roots, Police Academy 3: Back In Training moves the series in the right director but it comes up a bit short on laughs. When budget cuts force the state to close down one of its police academies, Commandant Lassard rounds up his best graduates to help him train his last class and to try to convince the state board to keep his academy open. Most of the cast from the last film return, but their performances are rather mediocre. The writing is also pretty weak, but the academy setting helps to make the screwball comedy work. Police Academy 3: Back In Training finds a fun and exciting way to continue the series, but the jokes are getting stale and are wearing thin.
½ March 21, 2014
More fun in this third movie, and though it was solid overall, the first two movies were a little better. But this is still a very funny movie to watch...why all the hate with the critics?!
January 2, 2014
I actually care for this one because this is actually funny and really enjoyable not like the others this is the best one.
June 29, 2013
Back In Training is the 3rd Police Academy Movie and it is the best one so far. So the government is closing one Police Academy. Mahoney and the gang try to do their best to keep the Academy going. Now why do I think its the funniest one yet? Well, althogh its a rehash of the first movie it does have more charm and hilarity to it then the others. Alot of it does work for a rehash. I love all the new characters and what they do. It is really funny. So go ahead and watch this one.

81/100 B