Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach Reviews

½ February 27, 2016
Recruits go to the beach, duh.
½ November 22, 2015
Fifth times a charm? well actually this film does get back on track somewhat after the terrible fourth. The first Academy film without Guttenberg as the wet ass Mahoney, so we get another Mahoney-esque character in Nick Lassard...cos they need that all round good looking good guy who pesters/stalks the sexy women in these films.

The plot is quite straight forward as usual, Cmdt Lassard is up for retirement (after Harris brought it to everyone's attention) and is being given a heroes send off in Miami. So off he goes with his regular band of loyal officers. Everything gets spoilt though when an accidental bag switch with some criminals equals Lassard having some stolen jewels and the criminals getting his pet goldfish.

While this still continues the trend of a PG film there is still a reasonable amount of fun to be had with the highjinx. The plot being set in Miami of course equals lots of obligatory tanned ladies in bikini's and cliched poolside slapstick. While its not dirty or seedy its relatively easy going and watchable which is surprisingly really. I think this film is much closer to a Pink Panther type film with the trio of incompetent criminals trying to nab Lassard's bag, that combined with the standard predictable pranks on Harris.

Once again though we have the repetitive training aspect of these films...yes again. Because the guys are at a convention for Lassard's award there is yet more police procedural demonstrations which once again gives all the characters the chance to demonstrate their quirky skills. Tackleberry and his guns, voice commands with Hooks....do I really need to go through this again? The only new addition to the team this time is Thacker as Conklin from the previous film, as you may have already guessed his huge weight comes into effect for some visual gags.

This time around its actually the bad guys that save the day in my opinion. Usually its Harris and Proctor who are still good fun here but the trio of crooks are admittedly amusing. There is a really nice air of quality slapstick with these guys, especially the boss played by Rene Auberjonois whose obsession with his hair and nasal voice make for a perfect greasy bad guy. His two sidekicks are both kinda dumb and your standard heavy handed mobster types but there is a credible Three Stooges act going on there.

This doesn't excuse a lot of childish crap though, you know they are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel when they actually use a fart in the elevator joke. Then there's the old drugged unconscious gag with Harris, setting his straw hat on fire, writing 'dork' on his chest with sunblock and a really nasty 'Jaws' send up.

The finale is yet again another chase sequence on water (clearly run out of ideas) with all the predictable stuff that you'd expect to see on water. Again it does look good as a visual spectacle as do most of the PA chase sequences, but its so very hollow and comes across more like a stunt man's show. Everything is tied up in a neat little bow with Lassard being allowed to carry on for another hundred years or so despite the fact he's useless and all is good with the world again.

Its very very bland and very very hokey, most of it is performed and filmed like an instructional video on how to make (attempt) slapstick, but from the third film onwards we know that don't we. Despite all that its a fairly enjoyable romp and is certainly better than the fourth film, at least we get a breath of fresh air with the location. I do like how they do the films titles each time though, quite like this one in particular.
November 1, 2015
Eric Lassard is indeed a legendary cop!
May 13, 2015
Police Academy is now ruined, thanks a lot! The whole series is stupid and dull and nothing like the first one and now they are all PG
½ April 16, 2015
With most of the original cast checked out why should we check in?
½ March 14, 2015
I'm fairly certain I haven't laughed since PA 2. Which is must be 5 hours or so of Police Academy without even a giggle. That is grim, even the Scary Movie sequels raised a faint titter from time to time.
January 17, 2015
Set in a different location and it does look good, some of the cast are gone but some are kept and they can only do so much against another awful script. Very bad jokes and odd yet bad performances which, sadly to say is what gives it it's cheesy charm. The sequels will never better than the great original but you would've thought they'd try. Oddly enough, it's not even the worst one in the series and makes this look worthy. More bad jokes and gags which are just over the line of desperation. Still, the cast will see you through and do try their best.
January 1, 2015
I remember this one specifically as a youngster because of the location and the bad guys (which were cheesy and horrible) this one really sucked.
½ December 29, 2014
Despite being highly amused by the snippets of all these various films in the series, I don't think I've actually sat down and watched one all the way through! That was until now, and I have to say that they didn't half do comedy better in the 80's. It's cheesy, but it's fun. Packed full of individual characters who have their own unique traits to conjure up laughs, from the amazing voices of Jones, to the prize assets of Callaghan, there is someone for everyone and we'll all no doubt develop our own personal favourite. On this occasion, we follow the team to Miami where Commandant Lassard is to be greeted with his special award before retirement. That is before he accidentally becomes involved in a jewel heist where unbeknown to him, he is taken hostage by the gangsters, whereby he helps them on the assumption it is a routine training event. Captain Harris and his bumbling deputy Proctor are keen to rescue him in order to be considered his replacement in the future, whereby the remainder of the team just wish to save him out of the loyalty and respect they hold for him, in the hope he will be allowed to remain in post. It's such an effortless movie which just goes to prove that the old ones are the best ones as it appeals to all ages in the same manner as Naked Gun and Airplane did. The fact that this is the 5th instalment proves the demand for this franchise and it's good to see all the old favourites still return for another does of slapstick laughs. Just like all the others, not one to be overlooked if you need a little cheering up :)
July 31, 2014
Not as good as the first 4 but still a funny movie.
June 27, 2014
It's crap without Mahoney keeping everything together. But it's still a Police Academy movie. If one were drunk, it would seem like the other 4 chapters in the film franchise, however, sober, it clearly is not.
I still gave it 2 stars just because it still had its roots in the fun film franchise. As a stand alone I'd give it .5 stars.
May 9, 2014
Incredibly dumb and slapstickish, Police Academy 5: Assignment - Miami Beach is a mass of stupidity. The Policy Academy's finest head to Miami when Commandant Lassard is set to be honored as Police Officer of the Decade at the National Police Chiefs Convention, but when a bumbling thief accidentally switches luggage with Lassard hijinks ensue. Steve Guttenberg is MIA, and his absence is felt. And while Matt McCoy steps in as a Mahoney like character, he's a poor substitute. But what's really missing is the team dynamic, as the characters are written as one-note jokes. Spectacularly awful, Police Academy 5: Assignment - Miami Beach is an embarrassment to the series.
½ April 26, 2014
Enjoyed This One. It Had More Story To It Rather Than Joke To Joke Skit Sorta Set-Up. But I Think It Was Preeeetty Much Done By This Point..Some Jokes Were Just a Plain Bad.
March 23, 2014
I thought this movie was pretty cool in a wacky sort of way, but I like this type of comedy...it was very good and I could have easily rated it 3.5 stars but you can clearly understand they rushed the ending. The last 12 minutes or so with the bad guy and Commandant Lassard was too silly (in a bad way). But overall the movie was still funny, before that, and it was still enjoyable.
½ January 2, 2014
Police Academy can go fucking die.
May 23, 2013
0% of critics liked it. lol. Which means, I did. Mrs. Gretzky.
March 31, 2013
I'm not too fond of policemen
March 9, 2013
Wow. How did they make it this far?
½ February 6, 2013
I own this in a seven movie pack along with:
* Police Academy (1984)
* Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)
* Police Academy 3: Back In Training (1986)
* Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol (1987)
* Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)
* Police Academy: Mission To Moscow (1994)
½ December 24, 2012
More of the same but more adventurous and not trying "too" hard like some people think.