Polish Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Polish Wedding Reviews

½ September 6, 2013
claire danes hai rotto il cazzo con i tuoi ruoli da white privileged.
June 21, 2013
Friday, June 21, 2013

(1998) Polish Wedding
COMEDY DRAMA

Plot less movie written by Theresa Connelly centering on a Polish family living in Detroit centering on Hala(Claire Danes) who's eventual relationship with a cop, Bolek (Gabriel Byrne) who makes bread for a living but is not satisfying his wife Jadzia played by Leno Olin who's speaking English with a bad Polish accent. they're living with 3 or 4 other older siblings and one brother who is the youngest. The movie is supposed to be a comedy but the thing is that I haven't laughed at a single scene throughout since the laughs doesn't consist of any surprises. Plus because it's called "Polish Wedding" their isn't a single thing mentioned about what this Polish family had done or used to do as Polish people- Polish culture is never shown except for one scene but it was already too little too late and clumsily uninvolving regarding carrying a wreath by the Claire Danes character. And because they're no real grimacing parts, I ended not hating the film but at the same time not liking it either.

2 out of 4 stars
May 3, 2013
It's a bit funny at times, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.
July 5, 2011
Theresa Connelly is trying to say something about femininity but hell if I know what that is. There's a lot of vulnerable glances on Claire Danes's part, a lot of posturing and speeches by Lena Olin, and a lot of talking on Gabriel Byrne's part, more than any other character in the film. Not that he says anything important. Like Connelly, it's almost like he has a point to make, but it's not clear what that point is to Byrne, Connelly, or the viewer. What makes watching this movie even more difficult is that Connelly knows something about feminist criticism, enough to make reference to a whole slew of arguments including the Madonna/Whore complex and the status of men. If only she could clarify her point, have her main character Hala discover the answers for her in the text, this movie might have been more meaningful or even more watchable. Unfortunately, Polish Wedding boils down to a lot of good ideas - sometimes hilarious ones - that are all disconnected and messily strung together. I get the feeling like the movie is an in-joke, one that the director understands but doesn't explain very well. I wonder if an explanation would make the movie funnier or less entertaining.
June 27, 2011
Lots of potential but ultimately not great. An early Kristin Bell appearance and the return of the hottie (David) from "Muriel's Wedding" (played by Daniel Lapaine). Still didn't hold my interest due to the meandering dialogue. It just went NOWHERE!
December 31, 2010
Polish Wedding is a largely forgettable movie about a free spirited girl, Hala (Claire Danes), and her earthy, sensual mom, Jadzia (Lena Olin) and sad sack father, Bolek (Gabriel Byrne). Hala runs the streets at night, while her mom is having an affair with a guy at work, and her dad sits at home and mopes. The polish accents sounded forced, and were entirely unnecessary, but must have been meant to emphasize that these people were outsiders. This viewer found them annoying. The story followed a fairly predictable arc and the only thing that kept this viewer engaged was the radiant beauty of Ms Danes. Three stars, just for her.
September 27, 2010
This film was lacking in many ways but I couldn't help but be interested in the day to day lives of this family of Polish immigrants living in Detroit.

The story was lovingly if awkwardly written but the acting from the three main characters: Yadviga (Lena Olin), Bolec (Gabriel Byrne), and Halla (Claire Danes) was brilliant as they always are even if the movies they are in aren't. Bolec (the patriarch) is tired and loving and sometimes generally ignored by his tempestuous wife, the mother proud and unforgiving and having an affair with a wealthy man, and the daughter is sneaking out at night "getting herself into trouble." It's a typical story, but it has heart.

Verdict: if you catch it on cable give it a try. It's alright.
½ August 16, 2010
um ew public bathroom floor?! this had a weird overall feel i didnt finish cuz i didnt like it
½ April 18, 2010
This was okay, I liked Gabrial Byrne very much! Lena Olin is just beutiful. This reminded me of Peter Weir movies, it had something in common with 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'... maybe? It wasn't too bad.
April 6, 2010
I didn't like this movie very much. Some parts are funny, not really worth watching.
March 31, 2010
very funny. Entertaining.
lol
"Put this in your pipe and smoke it!" As a child raised both Polish and Catholic..I adored this film..
½ February 21, 2010
it was quite interesting. it's about ordinary people, a family.. and the things we go through as people.. this film made me appreciate my family.
January 30, 2010
I want to see it because of the title :)
October 26, 2009
This movie is absoloutely amzing because my
Mom made ot
½ August 26, 2009
had some funny parts, great acting, but real slow and not that interesting.
½ July 19, 2009
i liked this movie, but i'd probably never watch it again
June 27, 2009
Claire Danes was still pretty cute when this was made, and everybody but the cop does a pretty good job with the material they're given. Unfortunately, that material is entirely unconvincing at its best parts and downright malicious at its worst.
June 25, 2009
Better than I was expecting. Not a whole lot to the plot, but it wasn't a bad movie. I thought Gabriel Byrne did a great job.

As a side note for Family Guy fans, the Unit Production Manager's name is Tom Tucker.
June 24, 2009
i will like to see this movie