Pollock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pollock Reviews

February 7, 2014
Pollock is a good but not a great film. Ed Harris' project would almost suggest that Jackson was less a genius and more someone who found an easier way to paint. Kind of like the paint by numbers approach to stardom
January 18, 2014
January 14, 2014
A solid Biopic directed brilliantly by Ed Harris who finds here one of his best part ever. Interesting film.
December 6, 2013
The Curse of living a life of an Artist...
November 23, 2013
It is a pretty standard biopic, but the character and theme are interesting enough to make you watch it.
November 9, 2013
O tv?r?ím ivot? Jacksona Pollocka. Asi by to cht?lo znát n?co o jeho ivot? p?ed shlédnutím filmu, je tam hodn? jmen a pojm?, co mn? jako laikovi nic ne?íkají. Tuil jsem, e Pollock byl alkoholik, e to ale ovliv?ovalo jeho ivot a tvorbu tak moc, to bylo pro m? p?ekvápko.
October 28, 2013
A biopic based on the famous expressionist artist Jason Pollock. Though Ed Harris, here in his directorial debut, shows occasional signs of creativeness, there is nothing too impressive about the film's structure. What is most impressive about the film, apart from the heartfelt performances, are the scenes where we see the artist at work. It is a shame, however, that many of the more touchy and controversial events and subjects surrounding Pollock are only hinted at and sometimes untouched. This blandness, of course, also does not suit well the artist's own eccentricities. Nevertheless, it remains quite a compact work.
½ September 25, 2013
Ed Harris is fantastic in "Pollock," a dark drama about the famous painter.
½ September 2, 2013
Despite the slow pace, with Ed Harris's efforts, we are told the story of Jackson Pollock, a relatively unknown in mainstream outside the US, but high-achieving painter and his works with his struggles, ups and downs and adultery. A flaw is that the connection between Jackson Pollock's works and his experience should have been depicted more in details. Marcia Gay Harden, who plays Lee Krasner, is the essence of the entire film. As for Jennifer Connelly, although Ruth Kligman, the character she played is influential today, her presence is utterly redundant and unnecessary.
½ August 3, 2013
Yeah, Ed Harris does a good job. But Jackson Pollock was both a horrible, boring painter and a horrible, boring person. So I can't really say I enjoyed any of this.
½ May 7, 2013
Kinda cool, kinda boring.
½ April 21, 2013
This was a real labor of love for Ed Harris, who made his directorial debut and takes the lead as the title character.

What we get is a semi-standard biopic about renowned American abstract expressionist painter Jackson Pollock who revolutionized the art world in the 1940s, but was undone by his crippling mood swings, temperament, and penchant for booze...and ladies to a lesser extent.

Harris is really good and quite compelling in the title role, and there's a sense of legitimacy to the scenes where he is seen painting, especially since Harris learned to paint. He's backed by a solid supporting cast including Marcia Gay Harden in an Oscar winning turn as Pollock's wife and fellow artist Lee Krasner. She pretty much walks away with the film. There's also Amy Madigan as Peggy Guggenheim, Val Kilmer as artist and friend Willem de Kooning, and a late in the game appearance by Jennifer Connelly as Pollock's mistress Ruth Kligman.

The film is pretty good, but, like a lot of biopics, suffers from the fact that the subject isn't quite as fascinating as the work they make. Don't get me wrong, Pollock was a very fascinating individual, but the film really doesn't try to deeply probe into his mind, instead just barely getting under the surface a lot of the time. That's okay though, because it is somewhat enjoyable to see him freak out, get drunk, and be a tormented genius.

The scenes where he's painting are well done ,and quite evocative, and I dug the music too. I also enjoyed how they tried to bring about authenticity by actually filming on the real Pollock/Krasner estate.

The film is fairly by the numbers, but it does a good job at detailing the life and times of this lauded/troubled man. For a directorial debut, it's rather ambitious. Despite its faults, I still liked it, and think you should check it out.
½ April 8, 2013
I'm not sure if this was a story worth telling in this fashion, but I can't imagine it being pulled off much better than Ed Harris did here. Harris's directorial debut is dark, moody, and beautiful. Not for the faint of heart, but worth every grueling second for those willing to take the plunge into Pollock's world.
March 26, 2013
A completely engrossing picture of an amazing artist with a powerhouse performance by Harris. No picture could do justice to Pollock's entire life, but Harris' picture at least gives us a glimpse into his madness.
February 24, 2013
Shame on me for not knowing that this biopic existed! A well-told and inspiring story about one of America's most influential painters. Stellar performance by Ed Harris.
½ February 21, 2013
Wish there was more Pollock, in Pollock, but the performances are great and I liked the "indie-approach".
February 1, 2013
Great and inspiring with a wonderful cast and setting. Great character-depth display by Harris, and Gay Harden and Tambor are in top form. Very commendable creation, twice over, as Harris himself also painted the great art viewable, so double-wow and how ya like me now?!
January 29, 2013
Sad life of a brilliant artist well captured by Ed Harris in his best performance.
½ January 22, 2013
Real decent. REAL decent.
January 10, 2013
a great artist but a failed man :(