Pollock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pollock Reviews

½ January 22, 2013
Real decent. REAL decent.
January 10, 2013
a great artist but a failed man :(
January 8, 2013
Ed Harris is very good in this and brings Jackson Pollock and his paintings to life. The movie feels like it was set in the time period. I enjoyed this.
December 21, 2012
Pollock's strengths are that it tells a story about people and it does by showing their flows so openly, and it's done perfectly by Harris and Harden.
December 20, 2012
I tried watching this...as boring as an actual Jackson Pollock painting!
December 7, 2012
This movie finally showed me what abstract art is all about--something I have been struggling to understand on an emotional level for years, although I have knowledge of the theory behind it, the why it came about. Watching Ed Harris literally dance his canvass was eyeopening. After watching the movie, I watched the actual video of Pollock himself doing the same thing made me realize how well Harris had researched the role and he certainly had the self-destructive aspect of Pollock's character accurately portrayed. The film was outstanding as an achievement in film, and, although I'll always be too bourgeois to like abstract art, I now finally understand and appreciate it better.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ November 11, 2012
I worked backstage on the stage play Red, about Mark Rothko, in spring '12. That play compares Rothko and Pollock to Nietzsche's analysis of Apollo and Dionysus, respectively. This movie does not include Rothko as a character, but a couple other artist friends do appear, including DeKooning (Kilmer). To me it is interesting watching Pollock move through a series of paint styles until he happens upon the splattered look for which he would become famous. The many scenes in which Ed Harris as Jackson Pollock is actually painting are enthralling. Harris plays the alcoholic lows and the successful highs wonderfully. Marcia Gay Harden as Lee Krasner, Pollock's wife, is stunning in her delivery and character embodiment. The supporting cast, including Cort, Madigan, Kilmer and Tambor, also lend a great deal to the picture. Jennifer Connelly appears only briefly near the end, but I was less than impressed with her performance. Pollock in this film chases freedom and serenity, but those two things are so difficult for him to achieve. The artist's life is not a stable and peaceful one.
September 15, 2012
Fans of 20th c. art will like, others probably won't
September 10, 2012
Did not know he directed himself, to tell a story about art that is not adored by the masses was a monumental task.
August 24, 2012
Unique, well-directed and acted biopic concerning the troubled artist Jackson Pollock (Ed Harris), his relationship with his wife (Marcia Gay Harden), and how his internal demons cut a brilliant career short.
August 14, 2012
The movie is about a crazy artist....
The movie shows how he paints stuff without hiding...that was really interesting.... Either he really is a good painter or he has been well trained to do the stuff that he does in the movie.
August 10, 2012
Ed Harris' 2-hour love letter to painter Jackson Pollock features some great performances, especially his own, but ultimately left me underwhelmed.

This film is as much about the business of art and creativity as it is about the work itself. It's not simply an inspiring picture documenting the excitement and passion that goes into making art but the self-doubt, compromise, and hard work that goes into making a living at it. 'Pollock' doesn't dive as deep into its subject as other biopics like 'Freda', but as the man himself says, "You don't look at a bed of flowers and tear your hair out wondering what it means." I think that's a useful mantra for participating in any form of art but when you make a film about a figure as interesting as Pollock was, I think you owe the audience to let them get under his skin a little deeper than simply portraying him as a self-destructive alcoholic.

As you would expect from a first-time director, the film is fairly straightforward and linear in its storytelling, with some minor deviations. This simplicity was a problem for me in telling the story of a prominent abstract painter. Jackson Pollock had such an original eye that it makes the film's traditionalism disappointing.

Ultimately, this is a movie made for people who aren't so familiar with the man at its center. If you're looking for a deep portrait of what made Jackson Pollock tick, you're barking up the wrong tree. However, the performances are powerful, starting with Harris and Marcia Gay-Harden's intense leads and also the subtle brilliance of Jeffrey Tambor as an ever-present art critic.

As the film builds to its unavoidably tragic ending, all joy and energy is removed from the action, save a few smiles from Pollack's adulterous lover Ruth (Jennifer Connoly). Unfortunately, at the end, we don't understand Pollock much more than we understand his work.
½ June 24, 2012
Good biopic about artist Jackson Pollock. I really liked the film a lot but didn't think it was as resonant as it could have been. Great performances from Harris and Harden.
April 28, 2012
Sarà che l'"arte di Pollock" non mi interessa, ma nemmeno la sua biografia mi pare così tremendamente coinvolgente. Un 5 per l'impegno.
April 20, 2012
Confident work ,harrowing film
March 22, 2012
Well made movie, I think this is the best I've ever seen Ed Harris. I get it
½ February 5, 2012
A unique, well-directed and acted biopic concerning the troubled artist Jackson Pollock (Ed Harris), his relationship with his wife (Marcia Gay Harden), and how his internal demons cut a brilliant career short. While in some ways it is predictable, including a disturbing final act, the film contains a hypnotic quality about it thanks to an insanely possessed Harris, who is just splendid and you can tell he is very passionate about this particular person. The movie does have a tendency to drift into self-indulgence, especially in it's latter half, but Harris' portrayal remains tenacious and magnetic despite all the problems this movie possesses. We never get to go inside the head of Pollock too much, and this is definitely bothersome, but maybe that's how Harris wants it to be. The ending ends on quite a harsh, rushed note that feels forced, which detracts from one's overall impression of it. Nonetheless, one of the most underappreciated actors ever in Ed Harris is able to flex his creative prowess and go to work, and that alone earns the film a recommendation.
½ January 30, 2012
Ed Harris' capable acting and direction are imbued with all of the impassioned, bipolar nature of Pollock and his works.
January 22, 2012
Excellent portrayal of tortured modern artist Jackson Pollock. Ed Harris and Marcia Gay Harden are stellar!