Poltergeist II: The Other Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Poltergeist II: The Other Side Reviews

October 10, 2018
Entertaining movie, but just made for cash.
½ September 17, 2018
The concept here is decent: the family leaves their haunted past to live with grandma, where a terrifying apparition in the form of a truly creepy priest opens up familiar terrors. Sadly, it's sorely missing the deft script and direction touches of Spielberg and Hooper. Too many things don't make sense (Why does the dad suddenly not believe in the supernatural? What happened to the teenage daughter?), keeping the numerous moments of awesome horror somewhat hidden by poor execution & corniness.
½ March 11, 2018
This movie has some GENUINELY terrific moments. Much of the time spent with the family before the horrors start is tremendous. The baddie has some great opening scenes and the idea of fleshing out this world to be a place where good and evil are at war is super fun. BUT the movie has no real story and not long into it, hijinks of horror become the narrative. It's hippy and shaman-style mythos becomes clunky and EMBARRASSING. By the end you ask, what have we gained from this? Sadly, not much.
February 27, 2018
Though not nearly as good as the original, this movie still has enough to offer to make it worth watching. The effects are less impressive this time (with a couple of exceptions) although decent enough to serve this particular story. There's a darker creepier tone but the shlocky ending is a bit of an eye roller. Not without merit, it's an OK sequel but nothing special.
September 24, 2017
I think it is a great film equal to the first. It has classic horror with mild humor some realting to the first movie. Kane is just terrifying. The story line is good going more into depth. My biggest highlight was the ways it shows the family has a natural clairvoyant gift. It is done so well its subtle and believeable
½ August 26, 2017
This actually scares me more than the first one. Julian Beck's Reverend Henry Kane was my boogeyman as a kid. And as an adult. Other than that, the movie is essentially a remake of the first film. That aside, it's well made and acted. It deserves a better reputation than many soulless, cash-in sequels.
August 26, 2017
I used to be terrified by the sight of Kane when I was a kid, but it is impossible to overlook how insufferably dull, disjointed and pointless this lame excuse for a sequel is, with a lot of bad dialogue, half-baked horror scenes and even some casual racial stereotypes thrown in.
½ July 4, 2017
Solid sequel, works just as well as the first, even if it's not reviewed as well for some reason. Reverend Kane is such a great, iconic villain. The cast of the family is so engaging and real, they're what make these movies work as well as they do.
July 2, 2017
They're back... yes, the bad actors are back!

Rewatching this trilogy for the first time since the 1980s, I'm feeling very let down. The story is very poor, and more or less just strung around the special effects. I was bored, so got drunk, and still
wasn't enjoying it.

The only good thing was Julian Beck's creepy performance as Kane.
½ June 24, 2017
June 2017 - a comedy at best
½ May 24, 2017
Carol Ann is still being terrorized by evil spirits.
February 17, 2017
Very underrated. While not as good as the first film, it managed to capture some of the charm from the first with some very humorous moments, and also having some creepy ones as well. It was a little strange seeing JoBeth Williams become more of a "screaming mimi", but it's easy to see because she would probably be psychologically damaged from the events of the first film. Another treat it serves is Julian Beck's performance as "the beast". Just fantastic. He was smooth, creepy, and very unsettling to see and listen too. While some people are confused over the cavern and the graveyard, I've made an entire theory that supports both sides that proves both existed at the same time, and also explains some of the ghosts' power. While I didn't like the ending because it was forced and rushed into, Poltergeist 2 manages to be, in my opinion, a very underrated film that deserves to be re-evaluated.
October 30, 2016
I remember this scaring me when I was little. It still has one of the most terrifying, stomach turning, scenes I've ever seen!
½ October 2, 2016
Not as amazing as the first but still an pretty good sequel the acting is still fine the directing isn't bad the pacing is fine the writing isn't bad some cool sequences and actually fine story honestly if they worked more on the script you could gotten something almost as good the first
August 28, 2016
Shockingly poor follow up.
August 20, 2016
As gratuitous as it was, it showed lots of promise, and ended up just being mediocre. It's in the film's last 15-20 minutes when it really starts to come undone. A shame...
August 13, 2016
Love this one too just as good as the first one!
August 7, 2016
What makes this movie great, is Julian Beck's amazing performance as Rev. Kane. He is extremely creepy and he gives the "Poltergeist" series a great villian to cheer for. Julian Beck is one of the urban legends of the "Poltergist" franchise. He died right after the film wrapped and they gave him a dedication in "Poltergist III." I am happy to own all three of the "Poltergist" films on DVD.
½ August 1, 2016
Underrated film that is far more scarier than the original. I enjoyed this directors work better than the original because it wasn't so self satisfying in which Spielberg took away from the original film. The sequel is more original and although the special effects are somewhat cheesy, it is a more enjoyable interesting film than the original.
July 12, 2016
The first Poltergeist was an awesome horror movie- scary and thrilling. This was... this was.... this movie blows chunks. The retcon of the story, creating this cult was unnecessary. The story made no sense. It was so dumb.