Ponyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponyo Reviews

½ December 27, 2015
Visually Stunning, plays out like a first draft Miyasaki lost interest in.
December 19, 2015
Whoops, wrong movie. never saw this, don't know anything about it
December 17, 2015
Very intriguing film
December 2, 2015
Fresh and full of sense.
My favorite Myazaki
½ November 14, 2015
incredible movie because its artistic and cute and theres a lot of humour but it is very weird i guess its not as weird as spirited away though
November 3, 2015
A cute and family friendly movie.
October 24, 2015
soooo cute! And adorable for little ones­'-
½ October 14, 2015
Painfully immature and juvenile, filled with wasted potential and plot threads that go nowhere. I do not understand how this movie is critically praised, but unlike some people, I am not just going to declare that it must be because Ghibli is sacred ground or some bullcrap like that. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing. That is always a distinct possibility. But, I still hate this movie.
September 30, 2015
A cute and beautifully drawn animated movie that has a great voice cast
½ September 22, 2015
A very adorable and visually beautiful hand-drawn animation by master Hayao Miyazaki, who goes for a more innocent and simpler approach to tell this story instead of delivering an epic of environmental message like some of his more memorable works.
September 7, 2015
One of Miyazaki's worst films.
August 21, 2015
Despite the general plot being a bit stale, the effort that's put into the stunning animation and witty dialogue is truly impressive. The characters grow on you, as Ponyo's general ignorance towards the human life is both adorable and hilarious. As the movie progresses, it takes a step forward from a cute little companionship, to unlikely adventurous duo. It takes a dive into a deeper storyline, filled with great surprises and solid morals. A mix of darkness and comedy, Ponyo stands up tall with the rest of Studio Ghibli's productions, and definitely makes the studio's work elevate to the standard of Dreamworks or Pixar.
August 18, 2015
A goldfish(Nara) is found by a human boy(Doi). The Wizard(Neeson) is found to be the father of the goldfish. The human boy calls it Ponyo hence the name of the film. Ponyo is captured by the Wizard. Ponyo's friends help get her back with the human boy. S˘suke's mom(Fey) is gone and has been taken by The Wizard. The Wizard and the Ponya's Mom changes Ponyo back to a fish. However a clever old lady realises that Ponyo is actually in danger along with the mom and the Residents of a nearby Nursing home. So the Sea Goddess has a change of heart and turns Ponyo into human. IN order for this to happen Sosuke and the goldfish must "be on land and jump in the air".

So overall, not bad a film. My first time ever seeing the film. Yet I never heard of it or even saw it in cinemas. hahahah. I only saw it on my TV Guide and decided to check it out.
½ August 11, 2015
I may be hating on this one but just did not dig it. Felt like this was Miyazaki trying to make a kid version of The Little Mermaid and the little mermaid is already kid enough.
August 10, 2015
Lovely animation and story
August 4, 2015
Not my favourite Miyazaki
August 2, 2015
Amazing film, beautiful animation, touching story. Will be enjoyed over and over again
July 25, 2015
My favorite Miyazaki film so far.
½ July 21, 2015
Great job on the creativity.
July 6, 2015
Wacky, but... fun? It's visually pleasing with a lot of other great elements, only the plot left me with a mediocre feeling.