Ponyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponyo Reviews

July 17, 2016
Cutest characters and an excellent storyline
July 7, 2016
Definitely not Miyazaki's best offering, but "Ponyo" is pure enough satisfy those whose having a bad day or needs a realm to escape to. It's magical and colorful. The film's only weakness is the lack of antagonist. Without any sense of threat, then what's the point of us caring for our protagonists? Kids will love it, but for adults, they will probably snooze right through it.
July 6, 2016
Ponyo is magical, innocent, and charming.
Hayao Miyazaki might be the king of Fantasy genre. It is fascinating how his mind works. I wish I could live in his imagination. The world he created in this movie is pure innocent, and I love that. In this movie, the world is not black and white. It's always white and that's a good thing. The story is not epic, instead we get a simple lovely story. Visually, Ponyo wowed me in the same way Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky did to me. The fantasy world in Ponyo is breathtaking. I had no intention to watch Ponyo, but I gave it a try. Well, in the end, I fell in love with it.
July 5, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SOO MUCH
June 11, 2016
One of the greatest animated film of all time
April 30, 2016
So weird. Still have nightmares about her "frog" stage...
½ April 14, 2016
Miyazaki's weirdest, most insane movie. Also maybe Miyazaki's most beautifully animated movie. And yet this one slots in next to Porco Rosso at the bottom of my Miyazaki faves in that it's fun and it's a great movie but just didn't connect the way the way his movies usually (read: almost always) connect. I do love that they obviously tried to reel in the Finding Nemo crowd with the borderline facsimile poster and DVD art when this movie might disturb some of the more square parents out there.
½ March 31, 2016
Another Miyazaki flick to enjoy! Absolutely outstanding animation hand-drawn. As for the story may be a little bit off places some places, but I digress. This film is very enjoyable to watch for all ages to come. This movie is simply cute! Love, it's very strong and is very strong in this film and I like it.

Grade
8.5/10
½ March 20, 2016
Ponyo is the story of a little fish that wanted to become a little girl. Essentially this is Miyazaki's take on a Little Mermaid story. Ponyo is a bit more a kids movie than Spirited Away, Nausicaa and some of the other Miyazaki films, but it is still entertaining. The backgrounds and some of the underwater animation scenes are simply breathtaking and that is what really keeps this film afloat.
March 9, 2016
As well as being a sweet and beautifully animated film, Ponyo holds a deeper meaning about caring for mother nature as she cares for us. The story of this film is portrayed in a more innocent and uncomplicated way than other Ghibli works, as it centres around the loving friendship between two children, Sosuke and Ponyo.

For an older viewer this film captured my attention and admiration. I loved the animation and art style and adored the small scenes we get that show us personality and the uniqueness of each character, as with all Miyazaki films.

For younger viewers this film is captivating by the vibrant colours, amazingly animated moving sea and fish, children's expressive faces and fun dialogue.
February 26, 2016
I love this movie so much. Hahah and I'm 12 1/2. I'm such a child.
February 20, 2016
Its a cute enough as a childrens fairytale but its far from Miyazaki's best. This odd story about a fish becoming a girl comes accross like it was stitched together from alot of better ideas. While all Miyazaki movies have had very strange elemants this movie this movie just seemed to be weird for the sake of being weird and its too damn cutsey for most adults. Still for pure visual imagination this movie has some amazing moments
February 14, 2016
Probably my least favorite of Miyazaki's films, mostly because this is just so damn weird. The story is badly explained, and the animation is uncharacteristically shitty at times (at least compared to Miyazaki's work in general, which is usually of the highest quality). The characters look like they're made of fucking Jello half the time. What really annoys me is despite how crazy, unusual, and magical all of the events of the movie are, no one seems to even give a shit. There are waves like 200 feet tall, ancient fish swimming everywhere, and a fish who turns into a girl, and no one even cares! Why does no one give a shit in this film about anything?! That's what really bothers me here, along with all of the other issues that plague this film.
½ January 22, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki's most adorable animated outing proves itself a thrilling, funny and emotionally tingling experience; which once again caters us to his infamous mixture of strangeness and childlike innocence.
January 17, 2016
A unique vision on the classic tale. Pony provides visuals and a touching story perfect for children who are just starting their tour of Miyazaki's world.
January 4, 2016
Very adorable movie! Very entertaining and very cute, but I lost focus about halfway through. It was a bit cheesy
½ December 27, 2015
Visually Stunning, plays out like a first draft Miyasaki lost interest in.
December 19, 2015
Whoops, wrong movie. never saw this, don't know anything about it
December 17, 2015
Very intriguing film
December 2, 2015
Fresh and full of sense.
My favorite Myazaki